Airport to port in Venice options

cheffip

I'll be coming to Venice from CDG after a few days in Paris pre-cruise. I have a couple of choices of direct Air France/Alitalia flights that day. One leaves Paris at 7:20 am and arrives in Venice at 9:00 am. The next leaves Paris at 9:50 am and arrives at 11:30 am. Ship leaves port at 5 pm. We plan to do some Venice touring after the cruise. I'm wondering if there is any benefit in taking the earlier flight? Could we leave our luggage somewhere and tour for a few hours? Or should we sleep in a bit and arrive (hopefully) at 11:30 and go directly to the ship? How long should we allow from touchdown at VCE to check-in at the ship?

You should allow 30 minutes or so to get your luggage, then another 30 - 40 minutes by cab to the cruise port.

You should be able to check your luggage with the porters; if not, there is a left luggage office at the cruise ship terminal where you can check bags until later in the day.

There is also a left luggage office at Piazzale Roma, but there's no sense in adding that extra stop when you can leave it at the cruise port itself.

The biggest benefit to taking the early flight is that it increases your odds of getting to the ship on time. Keep in mind that the European skies are very crowded and flight delays are not uncommon. Your 9 am arrival means you will probably not be out of the airport to near 10 am (if you are on time). At that point you can grab a taxi to the port where you can check-in, drop your luggage, and perhaps spend a few hours enjoying Venice (or your ship). Another advantage to that early flight is that if for some reason your luggage was not on your flight (lost luggage happens too often) there are still a few more hours for your luggage to catch-up with you in Venice.

Hank

Thanks eurocruiser and Hank. I agree that the earlier flight is safer. I have been to Venice a couple of times but never as part of a cruise.

To get from the airport to the ship, could I save money by taking the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma then the People Mover to the ship instead of a cab?

Thanks eurocruiser and Hank. I agree that the earlier flight is safer. I have been to Venice a couple of times but never as part of a cruise.

To get from the airport to the ship, could I save money by taking the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma then the People Mover to the ship instead of a cab?

If you want to do this we recommend taking the ATVO bus (it stops at the center island right in front of the terminal) since its an express bus and has lots of luggage storage (underneath). It is a little cheaper to take the regular local bus, but this bus makes quite a few stops and does not have luggage storage space (you are not supposed to board with anymore then a carryon piece).

Hank

Another vote for ATVO; only a 20 minute ride from the airport to Piazzale Roma. It usually departs at 20 and 50 after the hour from each stop, 5 E.

The People Mover is 1E and ok if you can manage your luggage.

http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35#

And definitely take the earlier flight. The airport is a disaster so you never know what kind of delay you may encounter. When we arrived (the night before our cruise) they said our luggage hadn't made the flight. After wasting 3 hrs at Lost Luggage, they found it in a back room. Grrrrr.

Take that extra time to enjoy a ride down the Grand Canal; there's a vaporetto station just at the edge of Piazzale Roma.

I too would like to express my appreciation for these great suggestions We will be arriving into Venice from Rome at 5pm the day of embarking (the ship does not sail until the following day at 5pm). I plan to take your great suggestion and use the ATVO bus and people mover. The next day we can leisurely explore the canals and city with the vaporetto without having to drag luggage around.

I too would like to express my appreciation for these great suggestions We will be arriving into Venice from Rome at 5pm the day of embarking (the ship does not sail until the following day at 5pm). I plan to take your great suggestion and use the ATVO bus and people mover. The next day we can leisurely explore the canals and city with the vaporetto without having to drag luggage around.

We have the same arrival time, but we are coming from London, after a connecting flight with a change of airports as well as a change in planes in London (Heathrow to Gatwick). Also it is a change from AA to British Air, so we get to deal with customs and security twice. It is going to be a long day! But the good news is we are going free on Business class all the way.

Anyway, we read somewhere on this board and on the web that it it a 30-35 Euro land taxi ride straight to the port from the airport. Since we are having such a long travel day, we decided to take the easy way since I know we will be pooped!

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you sometime on the cruise. Your advice has been invaluable and thank you for directing me to this board!

Robin

We would do the same as Robin if going directly to the port. After all that flying the extra 20 or so Euros would seem like a good investment. For those taking the ATVO bus, you need to know that the driver does not sell tickets. You need to buy them in advance from the automatic machine (located on the same street island as the bus stop) or from the ticket office located inside the terminal not too far from the exit door. On our last trip to the airport the automatic machine was not working (this would be one of those normal things in Italy) so I had to go back into the terminal building to buy our tickets.

Hank

Thanks Hank. We will be sure to get our tickets before getting to the bus.

Robin, are you planning on attending the Celebrity meet and mingle for our roll call? We will most definitely see everyone there.

Yes, we are planning on going to the meet and mingle....looking forward to it !

Robin

Archived