VA 4054 on Nieuw Amsterdam?

elycelynne

I finally got my cabin assignment, and this cabin is located near the forward elevators, with a handicapped VD on one side and an oceanview on the other. When I looked at the deck plan, the cabin itself looks like it's set a little farther back than some others and the balcony looks to be a bit deeper than the corresponding VDs on that deck.

Is this correct? Has anyone ever stayed in either this cabin or the corresponding one on the starboard side? I assume the configuration is the same on the Eurodam, so if anyone has experience with these cabins on either ship, I'd love some feedback. Two pluses -- I'll be close to the elevators both near the piano bar and the Crow's Nest!

4054 is one of four VA that have approximately 15 ft deep balconies on the Nieuw A and E'dam, the others being 4053, 4129, and 4132. One disadvantage of those four is that most of the balcony is exposed to view from nearby cabins above and beside it

This is the balcony of 4132 as seen from 4130.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150234&d=1268943169

This is 4132 as seen from the dock, showing how it is exposed to deck 5 balconies.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155545&d=1273348782

Edited by jtl513

So I guess I'll just have to make sure that I'm not in an indecent state of undress when I go out on my balcony and wave to whoever I notice looking at me! 15 ft. deep, you say? Hmm, what are the chances of getting an extra good cabin steward who could make a lounge chair magically appear?

It also looks like it might be shadier than the VDs on that deck. Would you happen to know if that's the case?

I may not be spending as much time on my balcony as I had hoped!

I guess I learned MY guarantee lesson this time around. :(

What I don't understand is why they classify this cabin as a VA as opposed to all the other VDs in the area. Is it just for the long balcony that doesn't provide much shelter?

Edited by elycelynne

I do question the VA categorization, but square footage is king on cruise ships! I personally would not hesitate to book a cabin with one of these balconies. I could care less about who sees me from above. Focus on the positive and not on the negative. Enjoy your cruise and the extra square feet!

Edited by 510picker

I do question the VA categorization, but square footage is king on cruise ships! I personally would not hesitate to book a cabin with one of these balconies. I could care less about who sees me from above. Focus on the positive and not on the negative. Enjoy your cruise and the extra square feet!

I'm not worried about the lack of privacy so much as I am about being more exposed to the sun. Hopefully there's at least a little shade right by the balcony doors (which I notice are mirrored so people can't see into the cabin).

15 ft. deep, you say?
That's my guesstimate --- about twice the normal VD depth. Maybe 14.

What I don't understand is why they classify this cabin as a VA as opposed to all the other VDs in the area. Is it just for the long balcony that doesn't provide much shelter?
That's my assumption.

Hopefully there's at least a little shade right by the balcony doors (which I notice are mirrored so people can't see into the cabin).
I'd say the triangular corner corner is about 7 or 8 ft on the short sides, where you can get shade and privacy. I don't think the glass is silvered, it just happens that the light/camera angles make it look that way in 510picker's pic.

You'll have to host a CC party with all that space!

Edited by jtl513

I would love to have that much space!! Remember, you will also have a fully shaded balcony for half of the day!! Ask for a lounger...and take a dollar store umbrella with you that you can use to shade your face....

And don't worry about others...unless you are doing something very interesting on your balcony, they will only be looking and saying..wow...what a balcony!!!

• 3 years later...
I finally got my cabin assignment, and this cabin is located near the forward elevators, with a handicapped VD on one side and an oceanview on the other. When I looked at the deck plan, the cabin itself looks like it's set a little farther back than some others and the balcony looks to be a bit deeper than the corresponding VDs on that deck.

Is this correct? Has anyone ever stayed in either this cabin or the corresponding one on the starboard side? I assume the configuration is the same on the Eurodam, so if anyone has experience with these cabins on either ship, I'd love some feedback. Two pluses -- I'll be close to the elevators both near the piano bar and the Crow's Nest!

No need to worry re exposure to onlookers. We were in a suite on deck 7 above this room and we waved to the pax that were on your balcony. Only time we saw them is when they stood right at the railing. Extra long balcony and they already had two loungers on them. We could not see them sitting on loungers unless we looked directly down and saw only legs. For privacy you just needed to push lounger closer to patio door. Went down to see this cabin/balcony when cleaning was being done on our ldisembsrkation day and would book this suite for sure. We like to have a lounger on our balcony and this balcony allowed for that plus table and chair nicely.

• Thanks 1

In case there's any confusion because of a mention by a previous poster, this cabin is not a suite -- Just a regular balcony cabin.

True, the balcony is extra long. I don't remember there being a lot of shade. There weren't any lounge chairs when I had it -- Just the standard two chairs, ottoman and small table. What I didn't like about this balcony is that it was the last one before the lifeboats. As a result, there was no partition and was completely exposed on the left side. Because of the extra long balcony and the lack of shelter on the left, I found the room to get very hot during the day.

If you're not somewhat of a shade-seeker like I am, these things may not bother you. And you'll be on a ship! :D

Thanks very much for your reply and reassurance, would hate to be overlooked on all sides, but hey oh, really looking forward to being on her in a few days.

Your welcome. We were on the Niew Amsterdam just two weeks ago Jan 4-18th. It did at that time have two lounge chairs on it and the verandah cabin that we were able to view on disembarkation day looked nice as well. I think,you will be very happy. Beautiful breezes on our cruise and big ..big...skies in the evening. Maybe they provide the oungers as requested.

We had the opportunity to be in the Pinnacle Suite for one week of our cruise so now I can say that we have experienced all varieties of cabins HAL has to offer. You will love the Niew Amsterdam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, as promised, an update on cabin 4054. We were pleasantly surprised, this is our balcony which we spent many a happy hour on. It was much larger than other balconies, and yes, there was a life boat to the left of it, but it didn't block our view, and by the end if the holiday we didn't even notice it. There were two loungers, three chairs, and two little tables.

image.jpg.de7fc44820991f6fddc198c7c0ab7ee5.jpg

Edited by Jeannie50
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on the NA Jan 25-Feb 1 and were in cabin 4132 and we also got assigned this by a guarantee balcony. I knew ahead that the balcony was extra large but when I opened the curtains on the first day, my jaw must have hit the floor!!! It was so %$#@! huge! 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a small table - and you could have put 2 MORE loungers out there if you wanted.

I tell people that I could have held a square dance with a 3-piece band on our balcony...

Yes, we realized that privacy wasn't exactly the norm but DH and I just did the usual reading/sunbathing out there and if there were any concerns, we could just sit by the patio doors (in the shade).

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this cabin so much that we pre-booked a cruise for next Jan. 2016 (this is a first for us!) but wanted to be more forward so we took #4054 instead.

Now I don't want to go back to the normal balcony cabins anymore...sigh.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

After having the usual narrow balcony with 2 squeezed-in chairs and a tiny table, this cabin with the HUGE balcony was wonderful! We don't give a darn who saw us on the balcony, just made sure we weren't doing anything Facebook or YouTube worthy out there! :) Enjoy...we'll be there in just over 9 weeks.

• 1 year later...

Well - we waited a long time to get our guaranteed VD booking. We just got assigned 4054 on the WESTERDAM. I'm so glad I read all your posts. Looks like this cabin will be a winner.

Off on our trip in mid March. Will let you know how we made out.

Thanks again for all your comments.:)