Decrease........

sail7seas

For t hose who sometimes comment about taxes being raised for your cruise, here's information that may interest.

It is out of HAL's control what any government charges for taxes but in addition to sending notices of tax increase, they also provide tax decreases when appropriate.

Today I received a notice saying:

"Due to governmental action, actual taxes for this voyage are now less than the estimates usesd by Holland America Line at the time this product was originally released for sale. As a result, a tax decrease of $8.66 USD per persn has been applied to your booking."

Not a lot of money but we will certainly take it. :)

My reason for posting is we've had some posts here where people were upset with HAL when they received a notice saying the taxes had been raised. I thought it helpful to demonstrate they also decrease when the actual tax imposed goes down.

My reason for posting is we've had some posts here where people were upset with HAL when they received a notice saying the taxes had been raised. I thought it helpful to demonstrate they also decrease when the actual tax imposed goes down.

Oh yes, of course. We've had the amount go down as well.

Good point. I also noticed that the taxes on my Maasdam cruise next May have dropped since I booked. Of course, this is just based on an estimate this far out.

On my first cruise ever, we were hit with additional taxes once we boarded because of those imposed by the original passage of NAFTA and we only received notice once we checked in for the cruise.

Yeah, I thought that thread was a bit much. The poster got a great deal and still........If a tiny increase bothers a person that much then maybe cruising isn't for them. Mine went up $10 or so for February. I couldn't possibly care less. There are more important things to stress about.

HAL is so careful with the port taxes to be sure that you are neither over or undercharged that on our recent Amsterdam cruise we received a $.33 port tax refund pp! Honestly! :D

That's awesome:D. I bet you had a great time with all that money in your pocket;).

HAL is so careful with the port taxes to be sure that you are neither over or undercharged that on our recent Amsterdam cruise we received a $.33 port tax refund pp! Honestly! :D

Good to hear.

It wasn't their money and they didn't keep it.

It's called 'honesty', as you say. :)

I was pretty happy with mine -

From Holland:

Due to governmental action, actual taxes for this voyage are now less than the estimates used by Holland America at the time this product was originally released for sale. As a result, a tax decrease of $49.11 per person has been applied to your booking.

Merry Christmas everyone

When we boarded the Volendam on December 5th, there was a letter in our room stating that a Port Tax Decrease of $US 21.60 per person would be credited to our on board account.

Towards the end of the cruise, bad weather caused the cancellation of the planned visit to the Bay of Islands, passengers again received credit, listed on the account as Missed Port Tax Refund of $US 4.07 per person.

Archived