Diamonds!!

jimbob622uk

DW and I are on Eclipse 18Feb.Does anyone have advice on good stores to buy diamonds in ports(San Juan,St Maarten,St Thomas)We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary so would like to treat her bearing in mind my credit card limit??

I went into stores in both St. Maarten and St. Kitts on our cruise that embarked 3 December and can honestly say just looking at ajewelry was stressful for me because I like to be able to look and shop. I like very unique jewelry and I admit I found a lot of that in the cases, however I found the salespeople were so high pressure/very pushy that it was just a turn off to me and I ended up buying nothing even though my hubby said I could have what I wanted. I bought a ring here at home and the store I dealt with gave me space so I could decide.

Having a good number of trips to the Islands with a DW who is a jewlery addict, we found 2 stores next to each other in St Thomas that have worked consitently for us.

One block back from the main drag in downtown Charlotte Am,

look for Imperial Jewelers and Trident Jewels and Time.

Both stores have been there for many years and both have a good reputation. They are not Cruise line recommended, we found the prices ro be higher at the ships recommended stores.

In St Martin, try Joes Jewelers, again good to work with and

very good reputation.

Happy Anniversary, and Happy shopping.

Remember Happy wife, Happy life!!:)

Keep in mind that most of the stores on the islands you visit are owned by cruise ship lines. During the summer, many of the employees are transferred to Alaska ports. You need to know beforehand what these jewels are worth to ascertain if there are really any bargains to be had.

If you want a particular quality of stone (the 4Cs) price out your "wants" on a US based web site such as BlueNile (who provides GIA or AGSL certificates with their diamonds) and take that info with you to the Caribbean. Then before you make a diamond purchase ask the merchant to show you a GIA grading of the stone and do some comparison. Many merchants will refuse to give you a GIA or AGSL certificate (wonder why?). It can be an eye opener. Also keep in mind that if you later have a problem with your purchase most of the merchants do not maintain US-based stores or offices where you can get after-the-sale service (H Stern is a notable exception).

Hank

Just curious, has anyone who has purchased diamonds in the Caribbean ever had them appraised when they returned home?

Friends of ours had recommended IMPERIAL JEWELERS in St Thomas. We bought a beautiful diamond ring there to celebrate our 40th. It is a family owned business that has been there many years. Of course, once we got back on the ship, DH had buyers remorse that we may have been "taken". The minute we got back to the U.S., we took the ring to an appraiser. Absolutely everything that we had in the documentation from Imperial matched what our jeweler said. And the ring was appraised for 2 1/2 times what we paid for it. We were VERY pleased!!

Our appraiser also told us to always beware of any colored stones from the the Caribbean. He has appraised quite a few that were supposed to be sapphire or tanzanite and instead were basicly worthless stones that just were colored to look like other stones.

There are also many threads on CC with comments about Diamond International that is always featured in the talks on board. MANY issues with stones and settings and watches...etc. having issues and then not being able to get any satisfaction from the company. I do know from my own experience in buying my ring, that we went to DI first, and we felt like it was a somewhat bait and switch feeling with them. They wanted to bring in another manager from another DI to show us unset diamonds and we felt we were really rushed. It ended up that til the diamond was set it was going to be much more expensive that anything else we looked at in any other shop. And, of course, they were touting the satisfaction issue that appears from the threads to be somewhat worthless.

Have a wonderful anniversary!:)

You will get a far better deal at home from Costco or on line from Blue Nile.

Buying on vacation is about one step removed from buying at one of your local mall type jewelry stores.

Don't be misled by the 'appraisal certificates' that are offered. They are meaningless sales tools that bear no relationship to the sell price or value of the item you are purchasing.

I agree with Ian, that the value is not in the carrib. Buy at home

Or if you are serious, reall serious about quality, buy loose stones and study them your self 360 degree. Take then home and have them set by a professional there.

Why, duty, tax, Jewelery has a high tax on its value... you buy duty free at point of sale but not when your declare them on return.

Un-set ot loose daimonds are charged no duty in the US, and I think in europe as well You could birng the hope diamond un set for free !!!

Best place for jewelery bar none in Hong Kong, if you can get an invitation to a wholesail site. I have seen Vsi and VS going for $350 a ct, cut !

Don't listen to anyone on these boards. Take the advice of the professional shopper on board the ship. They will always steer you to the best place where they will get the biggest kickback. :D

I always buy my jewelry on Canal Street in NY. I was looking at a Patek watch in the Caribbean the dealer wanted $49,557. He was willing to round it down to $49,550. I got the same watch on Canal for $1,156 without the box and papers. :eek:

Don't listen to anyone on these boards. Take the advice of the professional shopper on board the ship. They will always steer you to the best place where they will get the biggest kickback. :D

I always buy my jewelry on Canal Street in NY. I was looking at a Patek watch in the Caribbean the dealer wanted $49,557. He was willing to round it down to $49,550. I got the same watch on Canal for $1,156 without the box and papers. :eek:

In that case I have a great Rolex I can sell you... only $20 and it even comes with a box! No papers though of course. :rolleyes:

In that case I have a great Rolex I can sell you... only $20 and it even comes with a box! No papers though of course. :rolleyes:

Got a better deal, Rolex made in China (#1 Rep) $2.00 plus they throw in a Mont Blonk pen set free. LOL Happy New Year.

DW and I are on Eclipse 18Feb.Does anyone have advice on good stores to buy diamonds in ports(San Juan,St Maarten,St Thomas)We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary so would like to treat her bearing in mind my credit card limit??

Spend a day in NYC if thats the way you connect to Miami most Diamonds come through there first.

Thanks for the offer. I seen that watch and really wanted a Patek. I have many Rolexes. Been buying from the same guy for years. He must be reputable otherwise he would be out of business. ;)

Just returned from the E. Carib, Silhouette, St. Thomas is the place to purchase diamonds. I believe the best option was at the peir, EFFY, Jewels, in St. Thomas. I was quoted a terrific price for a diamond ring which I had stolen two years ago. It was almost identical. I was told it was worth $7000 prior to the cruise and in St. Thomas they came down to $500. Definitely should have purchased the ring; however, we were returning from a shore excursion and the ship was sailing in 1/2 hr and I did not have a credit card with me. GOOD LUCK

Boolchands in Havensight Mall is where we purchased a blue and white diamond ( 4 blue, 3 white) channel set ring for me, they were never pushy and spent a great deal of time with us, brought out several trays with the type of ring I was looking for and never made us feel rushed. They are open to negotiating as well, ;) Will be going back to them in a few weeks when we are there again.....:D

• 1 month later...
We have bought diamonds at both Imperial in St. Thomas and Ballerina in St Maarten. We have been very pleased with them and the appraisals validated our purchases.

Just back from our cruise that stopped in St Maarten. We stopped at Ballerina and DW purchases a pair of diamond stud earrings. Worked with Deepak who gave us several options on the quality and clarity of diamonds. Price on the pair we selected was good compared on what we saw at other

stores, mainly those recommended by the ship. Definitely would recommend the store and be sure to ask for Deepak.

If you're in the Caribbean and happen to see an unusual stone or setting that you particularly like (and couldn't get at home), I would recommend buying it then as a souvenir of your trip. But only if the amount you pay is worth the piece's value to YOU, and not as an investment. IMO, diamonds are best purchased from a reputable jeweler in your own hometown who will be available if there's a problem in the future.

If you're in the Caribbean and happen to see an unusual stone or setting that you particularly like (and couldn't get at home), I would recommend buying it then as a souvenir of your trip. But only if the amount you pay is worth the piece's value to YOU, and not as an investment. IMO, diamonds are best purchased from a reputable jeweler in your own hometown who will be available if there's a problem in the future.

I certainly agree with your recommendation. With Imperial Jewelers, we feel that they are very reputable, so we are more confident in them than the ones closer to home. They have been very good when we or our friends have contacted them after the sale for assistance. But we have been going there for over 25 years.

Archived