What's your favorite glacier in Alaska? (POLL)

Tapi

What's your favorite glacier in Alaska  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite glacier in Alaska

• College Fjord
    • Glacier Bay
    • Hubbard Glacier
    • Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier)

My favorite used to be Columbia but since the 1970s it has shrunk back so far you can't see the face from the water, insignificant today compared to what it once was anyway.

Tour boats got within 1/2 mile of the face of Columbia last year as the ice finally opened up.

Tour boats got within 1/2 mile of the face of Columbia last year as the ice finally opened up.

I was very lucky to get within a good viewing distance of Columbia a few years ago. But the "thrill" was the ice bergs, and traveling alongside it, with plenty the size of buildlings.

The Columbia Glacier cruise we took in 2009 out of Valdez is probably my favorite tour I've taken in Alaska. The sight of the various color glaciers was amazing. My favorite was a striped glacier of blue, white and dirt brown. Can be viewed at my site below, just go to Valdez.

I was very lucky to get within a good viewing distance of Columbia a few years ago. But the "thrill" was the ice bergs, and traveling alongside it, with plenty the size of buildlings.

We stayed in a wall tent directly across from Columbia Glacier 25 years ago and the folks at the place we were staying at let us use their skiff. We went and motored around the ice bergs. That was, indeed, the highlight. Not sure we’ll ever experience that again.

I also remember you pushing Glacier Bay over Hubbard on many posts.

Good grief- "pushing"??? For first timers- this can be the better choice, as well as for repeaters who haven't been there.

This post asked for MY favorites.

Good grief- "pushing"??? For first timers- this can be the better choice, as well as for repeaters who haven't been there.

This post asked for MY favorites.

And that is what we thought you were telling us in the past...YOUR favorite. It is really okay...nothing to get upset about....things change...opinions changes...people change etc. It's all good.

The discussion on which is best is all so personal, which is why you and I always try to get people to think about their interests. What we like may totally bore another person. I am about scenery....others are about activity...some have a ship priority.....you and I prefer itinerary...and it goes on and on. Key is for everyone to find what will be the best trip for them. It is hard for some people to understand that not everyone will have the same answer.

Ok, this is getting heated and may melt the glaciers :) . Although I haven't done many cruises, I have worked as a naturalist on Alaska cruises. Furthermore, I have taught this stuff on glaciers, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. in Alaska at the college level for nearly forty years so hopefully my advice has some credibility.

If you really want to see glaciers up close and personal with the greatest chance for calving action, take a day boat trip into Kenai Fjords from Seward, Prince William Sound from Whittier or Valdez, or Tracy Arm from Juneau.

There are many "drive up" and accessible glacier viewings at Mendenhall in Juneau, Matanuska Glacier northeast of Palmer, and Exit Glacier in Juneau. Portage Valley (Begich Boggs visitor center) about an hour from Anchorage used to be good but the glaciers have really retreated since I first arrived in Alaska in 1972.

From a cruise ship only, Glacier Bay remains the best source for seeing a variety of these rivers of ice in a spectacular setting. For the single largest tidewater glacier you can see, go to Hubbard which flows over 70 miles out of the Wrangell-St. Elias mountains. For a double dose, pick a cruise itinerary that includes both.

While spectacular, Tracy Arm is hit and miss due to ice conditions and other factors; I was once told by a captain to tell passengers we had to turn around due to ice conditions when the real reason was that the assigned pilot had to be off the ship by 8pm. Despite cruiseline advertising, Tracy Arm is not your best choice if you want to guarantee a glacier viewing although the arm itself is spectacular.

Again, my opinion. Readers can judge for themselves whether or not its worth anything.

Ok, this is getting heated and may melt the glaciers :) . Although I haven't done many cruises, I have worked as a naturalist on Alaska cruises. Furthermore, I have taught this stuff on glaciers, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. in Alaska at the college level for nearly forty years so hopefully my advice has some credibility.

If you really want to see glaciers up close and personal with the greatest chance for calving action, take a day boat trip into Kenai Fjords from Seward, Prince William Sound from Whittier or Valdez, or Tracy Arm from Juneau.

There are many "drive up" and accessible glacier viewings at Mendenhall in Juneau, Matanuska Glacier northeast of Palmer, and Exit Glacier in Juneau. Portage Valley (Begich Boggs visitor center) about an hour from Anchorage used to be good but the glaciers have really retreated since I first arrived in Alaska in 1972.

From a cruise ship only, Glacier Bay remains the best source for seeing a variety of these rivers of ice in a spectacular setting. For the single largest tidewater glacier you can see, go to Hubbard which flows over 70 miles out of the Wrangell-St. Elias mountains. For a double dose, pick a cruise itinerary that includes both.

While spectacular, Tracy Arm is hit and miss due to ice conditions and other factors; I was once told by a captain to tell passengers we had to turn around due to ice conditions when the real reason was that the assigned pilot had to be off the ship by 8pm. Despite cruiseline advertising, Tracy Arm is not your best choice if you want to guarantee a glacier viewing although the arm itself is spectacular.

Again, my opinion. Readers can judge for themselves whether or not its worth anything.

Great post and very informative.:)

I know you know this, but Exit Glacier is in Seward.

Great post and very informative.:)

Glad I could help even if my proofreading on the location of Exit Glacier was off. It's only about 150 miles from our house near Seward. Seward is also a great place to take a boat trip to Kenai Fjords National Park where you can not only see glaciers (Aialik, Holgate, or Northwestern depending on your trip) but you can also check out one of the most beautiful areas in the state.

Archived