What's your favorite glacier in Alaska? (POLL)

Tapi

What's your favorite glacier in Alaska  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite glacier in Alaska

• College Fjord
    • Glacier Bay
    • Hubbard Glacier
    • Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier)

Hi!

Just trying to figure out what your favorite glacier in Alaska is. This will be our first time in Alaska. My parents (in their 70's) will be joining us, so I would love for them to see the most dramatic scenery.

Thanks for your input! :)

Your poll is for "favorite" glacier but your message says you want the most dramatic scenery. So which is it ... favorite or most dramatic?

Rather than poll, why not do a little research and find out which glacier viewing experience will best meet your family's interests? Borrow a few Alaska travel books from the library and read up on your choices. There are a few books specific to Alaska cruises ... Frommers and Ann Vipond's 'alaska by cruiseship'. Do you want to view from the ship or do you want a separate excursion to get close? Are you going in May when access might not be available for your ship? You'll make a better decision if you have the facts.

Your poll is for "favorite" glacier but your message says you want the most dramatic scenery. So which is it ... favorite or most dramatic?

Rather than poll, why not do a little research and find out which glacier viewing experience will best meet your family's interests? Borrow a few Alaska travel books from the library and read up on your choices. There are a few books specific to Alaska cruises ... Frommers and Ann Vipond's 'alaska by cruiseship'. Do you want to view from the ship or do you want a separate excursion to get close? Are you going in May when access might not be available for your ship? You'll make a better decision if you have the facts.

+1. That's one reason why I didn't/won't/can't vote. How about glaciers only accessible on a land tour (like some mentioned above). Also, do you want to just see or walk on a glacier?

read my sig.

Some of us suppress signatures since so many are so long. Therefore some of us can't see your sig.

How about "favorite glacier for its dramatic scenery? :)

Rather than poll, why not do a little research and find out which glacier viewing experience will best meet your family's interests?

Thanks. I have done all of that. Ordered brochures, read review after review after review, looked at pictures, spent countless hours at the bookstore looking at different Alaska guides, pulled up videos on YouTube for about two years now! :eek: What I'm looking for now is for fellow cruisers opinions on these glaciers which seem to be the most commonly visited by the major cruise lines. That's where this poll comes in...

Not enough choices, not even an "other." Chances are some people can't vote.

1. Matanuska Glacier

2. Baird Glacier

Thanks for your input. I would love to hear about other's experiences and opinions about glaciers and sights beyond the options posted, however, the reason why there's not an "other" button is because the itineraries I'm interested in include only the 4 glaciers listed above. With this poll, I'm hoping that some people who've had a chance to experience these specific 4 can provide their personal opinion on which they prefer.

From what I've researched, Alaska offers MUCH more than just the basic 7 night itineraries, and some of the responses to this thread do reflect that.

However, for our needs, time limitations, and personal preferences, a 7 night itinerary on a major cruise line is what we've narrowed our choices to.

Thanks again in advance! :)

Tapi thanks for this poll I for one am just as interested in which of the four are favored.

I have only sailed Tracy Arm and to be honest I loved it but am now considering Hubbard over Glacier Bay for a many reasons. examples: route, cost, timing, family priorities and departure port.

On a side note love your smiling pup too,:p

Patty

Of the choices provided, Glacier Bay can be more accessible than Hubbard, due to ice, although for me Hubbard is a much more dramatic glacier. It’s just huge. Each time we’ve been to Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay the calving has just been amazing so that would be my choice. The two choices I mentioned previously were based on trekking.

This from Margerie Glacier last July. According to the captain, we were about ¼ mile from the face of the glacier, the kayaker about 300 yards.

http://www.rockygrimesphotography.com/Landscapes/Glaciers-of-Alaska/i-bvrGmt8/0/L/Margerie-L.jpg

Although you might see them, don't expect a kayaker, that was just a bonus.

How about "favorite glacier for its dramatic scenery? :)

Thanks. I have done all of that. Ordered brochures, read review after review after review, looked at pictures, spent countless hours at the bookstore looking at different Alaska guides, pulled up videos on YouTube for about two years now! :eek: What I'm looking for now is for fellow cruisers opinions on these glaciers which seem to be the most commonly visited by the major cruise lines. That's where this poll comes in...

By changing the "rule" I would have voted differently. The most dramatic scenery IMHO is Hubbard Glacier just because of the massive size. But again my favorite glaciers remains Glacier Bay National Park. (BTW, your question is in the singular form but three of "your answers" consists of multiple glaciers).

I'd vote Hubbard but three of your choices contain multiple glaciers vs. a single named glacier (Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay, and College Fjord). Do you have any glaciers in these locations in mind or were you focusing more on the various routes the cruise ships themselves take?

FYI - Alaska has over 10,000 glaciers many of which are unnamed :)

If you want to only see glaciers from the deck of a cruise ship, your best choice for multiple rivers of ice is Glacier Bay. The largest and most massive glacier accessible from a cruise ship is Hubbard. Tracy Fjord is very dependent on ice conditions and you keep your distance from the glaciers in College Fjord.

Without a doubt, best way to see glaciers is a day tour/excursion in Prince William Sound, Kenai Fjords National Park, or Tracy Arm.

If you want to only see glaciers from the deck of a cruise ship, your best choice for multiple rivers of ice is Glacier Bay. The largest and most massive glacier accessible from a cruise ship is Hubbard. Tracy Fjord is very dependent on ice conditions and you keep your distance from the glaciers in College Fjord.

Without a doubt, best way to see glaciers is a day tour/excursion in Prince William Sound, Kenai Fjords National Park, or Tracy Arm.

Thanks! Very valuable information! :) if this trip was only for my wife and I, I would be taking advantage of every possible glacier excursion. However, we'll be traveling with my parents who even though are in good health, will most likely want to watch the scenery from their balcony (they are very sedentary, and they will shy away from any excursion with the slightest hint of adventure) :rolleyes:

We figured that we'll go with them this time and see Alaska "their" way, and then return in a few years and see it OUR way :)

My DH and I have been to all four of these glacier areas. For us, nothing compares to Glacier Bay for a breathtaking and majestic experience. Yes, Hubbard is the most massive glacier and, indeed, is impressive because of its size. However, for us it paled in comparison to our all day sailing experience through Glacier Bay National Park. I have no desire to see Hubbard again, but boy would I love to sail through GB National Park again.

When I planned our first Alaska cruise in 2008 I did a lot of research on this site trying to pick the best itinerary. In the end we went with Glacier Bay over Hubbard because of the potential for Hubbard to be iced/fogged out. Since glaciers were a priority we did not want to come home disappointed because we could not see Hubbard. We were not disappointed with our choice.

Princess has a great itinerary going southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. It includes both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. This the jackpot one-way itinerary in my mind.

HAL has a great round trip out of Vancouver that goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. I consider this the best round trip out of Vancouver if scenery is your priority. Tracy Arm is truly a magnificent fjord. The thing is you may or may not see the glaciers at the end. However, for us the fjord itself is what is magnificent. The glaciers are just so-so. We loved Tracy Arm for a scenic experience.

I would avoid Seattle sailings as most do not travel east of Vancouver Island which is SO beautiful!!

Happy Planning!!

Something to consider - of all these places, only Glacier Bay is a U.S. national park and a World Heritage Site, something none of the others can claim. You get a wonderful combination of scenery, wildlife (especially whales as you enter the bay), and multiple glaciers. They aren't the biggest or most impressive glaciers in Alaska but if the weather is good, you see them against the background of the Fairweather mountain range which rises to a height of 15,000 feet. Truly one of a kind.

Something to consider - of all these places, only Glacier Bay is a U.S. national park and a World Heritage Site, something none of the others can claim. You get a wonderful combination of scenery, wildlife (especially whales as you enter the bay), and multiple glaciers. They aren't the biggest or most impressive glaciers in Alaska but if the weather is good, you see them against the background of the Fairweather mountain range which rises to a height of 15,000 feet. Truly one of a kind.

Ditto - Glacier Bay was one of my must haves for our cruise. (With that said, I am excited about the Tracy Arm excursion.)

Glaciers are in a constant state of change. So, with me, having completed trip 30 to Alaska over 17 years- has no favorites. They all are interesting and valuable sights to behold for that time, to me.

I do remember a post of yours in the past that said you gave an edge to Glacier Bay. Perhaps you have changed your mind, but when I researched our first cruise, I searched this board for your comments because I respected your opinion since you have been to AK so many times. I was not disappointed in following your recommendation and now that I have seen all four of these areas, I agree with your comments at that time. For me it is Glacier Bay hands down. I loved all four of those listed in this poll, but if I were to go back to AK again, I would really try to see Glacier Bay again. However, I am hoping if I do go back, I can see Glacier Bay from a small boat tour of Gustavus.

Like others have said it is very hard to choose as each has something to offer. Glacier Bay is the best overall experience with all day viewing, multiple glaciers and liittle chance of missing. Hubbard Glacier is the most impressive single glacier for its sheer size, and very impressive if you get close enough. College Fjord has multiple glaciers and when combined with one of the others is a nice bonus.

Tracy Arm is at the bottom of the list from a cruise ship as they rarely get close enough for a decent view and are frequently iced out. That being said when viewed "up close and personal" from a small boat (either an all day like Adventure Bound or an add on from the cruise ship) IMHO is the most impressive glacier for overall color and calving.

Then again this year will be only my 18th trip to Alaska so I guess I need to visit more often to form a better opionion. :)

I do remember a post of yours in the past that said you gave an edge to Glacier Bay. Perhaps you have changed your mind, but when I researched our first cruise, I searched this board for your comments because I respected your opinion since you have been to AK so many times. I was not disappointed in following your recommendation and now that I have seen all four of these areas, I agree with your comments at that time. For me it is Glacier Bay hands down. I loved all four of those listed in this poll, but if I were to go back to AK again, I would really try to see Glacier Bay again. However, I am hoping if I do go back, I can see Glacier Bay from a small boat tour of Gustavus.

I give that "edge" to people asking for information with THEIR decision. This poll, asked "my" favorite??? :) :)

Yep, you better get going!!!!!!! :) :) :)

BQ just like I gave up trying to catch a friend in total # of cruises I also gave up trying to keep up with you in Alaska trips :)

When I took my first cruise I never thought I'd be back, its crazy that even sailing basically every year I don't get my fill of glaciers! I've also done Norway, Greenland/Iceland, the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica. They're all different and fascinating to look at :)

I give that "edge" to people asking for information with THEIR decision. This poll, asked "my" favorite??? :) :)

Not how I remember it. However, with all your trips, I am sure your opinion on something like this would be different than those of us having gone only once or twice. I definitely have a stand out favorite, hands down.....Glacier Bay. Perhaps if I went to Alaska 30 times I would also have no favorites, but with just my two trips I do have a favorite.

Why only four choices? Maybe this only for the cruise ship haunts. But then, a lot of voyagers take time to see land portions of Alaska as well. Someone estimated that there are around 100,000 glaciers up here. 616 of them have names.

My favorite: "Childs Glacier"--55 miles north on the Copper River Highway, a dead end road. Perhaps the best glacier caving viewing anywhere in the world, the best I've seen anyway. It's at its peak when the Copper is high, June-July-August. The "Million Dollar" bridge is also at that location and in addition, Miles Glacier is across Miles Lake, east of the bridge. In 1923, when President Harding visited Alaska, they took him out there, the Copper River and Northwestern Railway was running then.

Unfortunately, a highway bridge at mile 36 washed out this fall. Juneau (state capital, root of all our wisdom up here) says it will be at least five years before they can put a new one in. So, about the only way to view that glacier is take a river float trip down the Copper to Flag Point, 26 miles out of Cordova, you can leave from Copper Center, Chitina or McCarthy.

My favorite used to be Columbia but since the 1970s it has shrunk back so far you can't see the face from the water, insignificant today compared to what it once was anyway.

Archived