Ordering More Than One Appetizer/Entree

ducklite

Is it OK to order more than one appetizer or entree in the MDR?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to order more than one appetizer or entree in the MDR?

• Yes, even if I only eat a few bites of each
    • Yes, if I eat everything I order
    • No, the portions are large enough and you don't need all that food
    • Other, answer below

We were upgraded to a suite once. My 17 year old boy would order a full dinner in the suite and eat it while we had a pre dinner glass of wine. Then we would go to late trad dining (8.15) and he would order a full meal. Everyone at the table thought he was quite restrained ordering only one of each course....Little did they know!

You may order what and how many you like....but entrees will be brought on separate plates! (if you order 2 steaks, for example, they don't put 2 on one plate...you get 2 full meals!) You can put it all on one plate and ask the waiter to take the empty one away, so it takes up less space on the table!
You can also ask for an appetizer size portion of an entree. I did that a couple of times last week on our Princess cruise. Once was diver scallops. I ended up getting four scallops with the sauce but without the accompanying vegetables. DH ordered them as an entree and received six scallops with the veggies.

I never order normally on a cruise ship! I am actually an "entree/meat" kind of person (with the exception of french onion soup and eggplant parmesean).

If it is lamb chop night, king crab night or lobster night I always just tell the waiters that I do not need salads, soups or appetizers. I just want lots and lots of crab/lamb/lobster. I also inform them that I will probably not eat the mash or veggies that come with the "meal" and so please just bring me a plate with lots of meat on it.

Amazingly, they understand this when it is explained to them. Instead of 2 seperate entrees, I often am served a plate with 6 or 8 lamb chops and a little mash just to make it pretty. Or a plate with just 3 servings of crab legs and nothing else, once (as a joke) they gave me 6 lobster tails on a plate on top of rice! They then gave 3 of them to my partner on her own plate with rice. :D

You don't have to bother with any food you don't want - it's all mostly fillers. Just explain exactly what you want to eat and they'll bring it to you.

Question: What to you think the ship does with the unordered food? Some can be use the next night, but most is thrown out. So the food will be wasted whether we order it or not.

I guess the real question is: Should ship food be wasted or "waisted"? I'd rather waist it. ;)

Maybe 2 or 3 apps, but I don't recall every ordering more than one entree. I mean, if I did that, I might be too full for my mid-evening grazing of the buffet (not to be confused with the midnight chow down LOL). We really are cargo when we leave LOL.

We're not big eaters so can normally have enough to eat if I get one entree. I usually don't get one of each course as often I might not find an appetizer I'm interested in. usually I get a salad (plain with no dressing) and entree, and maybe an appetizer. Once or twice, skip the entree and have an appetizer in its place. Always get a dessert.

Once we did get a third entree and split it between the two of us.

When I was on a ship's tour (on a Celebrity ship), I think I threw off the waiter as I skip a couple of courses. He couldn't believe that I didn't want to stuff myself.

I don't feel compelled to eat everything I order--do you do that in any other restaurant? Feeling guilty about hunger in the world?

I've ordered things on ships and in restaurants that I didn't like the taste of, and I'm not going to force it down to get something I like. Several times I've had waiters ask me to try something and see if I like it (I hate Grouper!!). I ordered the Beef Stroganoff against my waiter's advice (He was right--it was a bowl of meat and gray gravy:eek:).

On the other hand, I always order two appetizers of escargot and eat them all.

I will eat an extra entree in place of dessert sometimes if I like a couple of different things.

Shouldn't you stop eating when you are full????:cool:

Question: What to you think the ship does with the unordered food? Some can be use the next night, but most is thrown out. So the food will be wasted whether we order it or not.

I guess the real question is: Should ship food be wasted or "waisted"? I'd rather waist it. ;)

They are pretty good at estimating how much of anything will go out. They can always take it to the crew dining room or the buffet. Often the buffet will have some of the same items as the MDR and I think that's why. Not something you can count on, but still..............

I too order only two dinners on lobster night, but may stop doing that. I hate wasting food and they insist on bringing two complete meals, which I can not finish. So since the lines know this maybe they could cut cost and have some plates made up with only lobster, or steak. I know they sometimes have starter sizes on pasta when that is a main course choice.

On the Dream, they brought our dinner on formal/lobster night and did not have extra whole complete plates for those who wanted more. They brought out 2 big plates with nothing but lobster tails on them and plated just the tail if you asked for an extra and brought it to your table. We saw them do that on their prep table.

Do you think it's OK to order more than one appetizer or entree in the MDR?

Having sailed on Regent in the past when I requested an extra entree the kitchen would arrange on one plate. This would make it much easier instead of additional plates at the table. Ordering extra lobster for example would result in two nice tails along with the usual sides. Cuts down on the waste. Remember, take all you want but, eat all you take.

Exactly. Take what you will eat but to order plate after plate of food when you know you can't possibly eat it all seems such gluttony to me. If you can eat and enjoy two entrees one night, then fine. Non one care. I think some people care if they see people ordering tons of food just because they can and they only take a small taste or waste all of it. That is upsetting IMO

Exactly. Take what you will eat but to order plate after plate of food when you know you can't possibly eat it all seems such gluttony to me. If you can eat and enjoy two entrees one night, then fine. Non one care. I think some people care if they see people ordering tons of food just because they can and they only take a small taste or waste all of it. That is upsetting IMO

I've seen posts about that, but I've never actually seen people order lots of entrees and only taste them and leave the rest. One extra or so, but never gluttony. Gluttony is also eating everything on the plate when you are no longer hungry but feel compelled to do so.

Our waitor on our last cruise actually told us, "Order whatever you want - all you can eat!"

I never ordered multiple appetizers/entrees, but I did order multiple desserts! :D

The men at our table ordered two appetizers every night. It looked like they usually ate them all, though. And of course, when my sister didn't like her dinner one night, our waitor really wanted to get her another dish, so she ordered a different one.

I don't really think it's piggish to order two entrees/appetizers if you only eat bites of each if you do it on nights when you're genuinely interested in trying two and can't decide. However, if you do it everynight just for the heck of it, then that may be a little greedy...

I remember seeing some guy pile on shrimp on a plate in the buffet on our last cruise. Didn't follow him to see if he was eating alone or bringing it to a table to share with others. But it did seem to be more than one person's share (I'm allergic to shrimp so I'm guessing that was the case).

Archived