Passports

paddy Anne

WE both have nexus cards we use to cross the boarder but still I carry passports.

I don't believe that a photo id would be required for your 10 yo but if it is the nexus card should suffice.

Personally if I am going to go to the trouble and expense to get a passport it will go with me everywhere I go.

It's kinda like this. As I understand it, it is not possible to get a replacement passport at a US embassy without a wait of several days. Very likely, what you will get is a travel document which lets you return directly to the US, not a passport. Thus, if your ship has left the country you are in, you will be unable to rejoin her. How you get your stuff back from the cruise line may be another nightmare.

Your passport does you no good in your cabin safe. I would advise taking it with you and leaving a copy in the safe. If you lose the original you are at least safe on a ship and very likely returning to the US anyway. You can deal with the CBP and the lost passport issue while standing on American soil. You will probably have some secondary screening and so forth, but you'll be OK. At worst possibly late for your flight. Also advise, if it is gone, approaching the local police and obtaining a report. It might also be wise to put your sign and sail card not in the same secure place as your passport, but this may not be a practical option (I use one of those under-shirt document holders. Yes, it shows, but no one can take it from you without force). Remember, the sign and sail card can be replaced relatively easily.

It's kinda like this. As I understand it, it is not possible to get a replacement passport at a US embassy without a wait of several days. Very likely, what you will get is a travel document which lets you return directly to the US, not a passport. Thus, if your ship has left the country you are in, you will be unable to rejoin her. How you get your stuff back from the cruise line may be another nightmare.

Your passport does you no good in your cabin safe. I would advise taking it with you and leaving a copy in the safe. If you lose the original you are at least safe on a ship and very likely returning to the US anyway. You can deal with the CBP and the lost passport issue while standing on American soil. You will probably have some secondary screening and so forth, but you'll be OK. At worst possibly late for your flight. Also advise, if it is gone, approaching the local police and obtaining a report. It might also be wise to put your sign and sail card not in the same secure place as your passport, but this may not be a practical option (I use one of those under-shirt document holders. Yes, it shows, but no one can take it from you without force). Remember, the sign and sail card can be replaced relatively easily.

That is great for you Americans but as for the OP and myself we are Canadians, we will get back on the ship without a passport, I have never been asked to see it on any of my cruises. But if it is lost or stolen at a port we can not get home. I live on the Detroit border and cross over at least once or twice a month and I do not want to risk it. We bring our drivers license and S&S, when our daughters were younger they brought their student cards, younger than that they dont check.

We always take our passports with us because it is the best form of identification. A copy won't do you any good. Even Disney World will not accept a copy of a passport as proof of age to allow for drinking of alcohol.

That is great for you Americans but as for the OP and myself we are Canadians, we will get back on the ship without a passport, I have never been asked to see it on any of my cruises. But if it is lost or stolen at a port we can not get home. I live on the Detroit border and cross over at least once or twice a month and I do not want to risk it. We bring our drivers license and S&S, when our daughters were younger they brought their student cards, younger than that they dont check.

The only time I was asked for a passport getting back on the ship, and I didnt have it lol was in Key west and I think it had to do with an american port. Otherwise I have never been asked and yeah tend to not want to bring it. My daughter does not have a student card though. Just her passport and her nexus. loosing a nexus is not a big deal though just mean we have to stand in the line at the airport lol.

I usually never carry my passport but just wondered what others did.

thanks for all the info.... passport is staying onboard :)

Always take it with us. One reason is what 5Waldos stated but another is what is considered legal ID. Most countries only recognize international drivers license and passports. Some states also only recognize those items for aliens (Alabama being one). There have been several holdings and even an arrest in Alabama due to workers not having the correct ID because of their new immigration law.

Well I think that is a whole other story. YOu dont even want to get me started on how wrong I think that is. Gives me the shivers.

Something I'm looking into is a passport card. Valid for travel between the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Costs a lot less than a passport book. My DD's (almost 10 and 12) need their passports renewed and this is a cheaper alternative. Plus it's smaller so it would fit in your water proof pouch.

Happy New Year!

might be covenient, but you can't fly internationally using it.

No better for cruising than a BC and DL

I bring my driver's license and Sail and Sign. This will be a LONG LONG thread where many will warn you of the need for a passport if you miss the ship. This is a hot button issue. I reason that I am more likely to get my passport stolen from my bag on the beach as I swim in the ocean than I am of missing the ship or having some catastrophic medical emergency. You'll have to answer this question for yourself because you'll hear a hundred reasons for either school of thought. Enjoy your cruise!

I happen to agree with you here.. I take as little as possible when I get off the ship. I am always worried about things getting misplaced or stolen. Leaving it in the safe in my room is always the best option for me...

Archived