Holland's Laundry Policy

BR47

I will be on the Zuiderdam soon, and have read that people enjoy Holland America's laundry policy. Can someone tell me what that policy is? Are there laundry facilities on each deck? Most people post that their policy allows them to pack light.

Thanks.

We just had a cruise on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam and it cost us $26 for a bag full. The bag is about 24" by 14" and even when stuffed tight it holds less than a very small washing machine. According to the captain on our cruise the water used for washing clothes is recycled from the air-conditioning system which would explain why the clothes don't wash up like they would at home.

We just had a cruise on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam and it cost us $26 for a bag full. The bag is about 24" by 14" and even when stuffed tight it holds less than a very small washing machine. According to the captain on our cruise the water used for washing clothes is recycled from the air-conditioning system which would explain why the clothes don't wash up like they would at home.

Is this another price increase? I have always paid $20 for the bottomless bag.

I will be on the Zuiderdam soon, and have read that people enjoy Holland America's laundry policy. Can someone tell me what that policy is? Are there laundry facilities on each deck? Most people post that their policy allows them to pack light.

Thanks.

Have you been reading all the posts related to the (ongoing) plumbing issues onboard the Zuiderdam? Hopefully, your stateroom won't be affected? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR47 viewpost.gif

Thanks.

Have you been reading all the posts related to the (ongoing) plumbing issues onboard the Zuiderdam? Hopefully, your stateroom won't be affected? :D

Yes, I am getting concerned. First it was A/C issues and now plumbing issues. Have you been on Zuiderdam lately or do you have a cruise coming up on her?

There are many answers to your question:

Some of the ships do have self-service coin-operated laundries. If I remember correctly, you only pay for the washing machine (which automatically dispenses detergent); the dryers are free. They are NOT located on every deck but can usually be found by looking at the deck plan diagram. (I say that because, on one cruise, we had selected a certain deck based upon laundry facilities- and it wasn't there any more! :mad:)

The first time we used HAL laundry services was on the Rotterdam, December 2008; it was $12 per bag. The next cruise, a few months later, was $20 per bag. Our last cruise, a TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam, was $26 per bag. We are not going to worry about our laundry in the future, because on the last cruise, we became FOUR * Mariners and will have free laundry! :D The laundry was our goal, not the pin or other perks.

I do want to say that the laundry is returned looking BEAUTIFUL. I read on CC that it is put on some sort of "form" and steamed; it looks like it had been ironed. As to the quantity the bag holds, that is relative: if your clothes are larger, the bag will hold less; if you roll your clothes tightly and try to fill every space with socks or underwear it will hold more. We used "unlimited" laundry on our TA, because we had to limit our luggage; it was wonderful to send out our dirty clothes every two or three days and return home with very few dirty ones.

There are many answers to your question:

Some of the ships do have self-service coin-operated laundries. If I remember correctly, you only pay for the washing machine (which automatically dispenses detergent); the dryers are free. They are NOT located on every deck but can usually be found by looking at the deck plan diagram. (I say that because, on one cruise, we had selected a certain deck based upon laundry facilities- and it wasn't there any more! :mad:)

The first time we used HAL laundry services was on the Rotterdam, December 2008; it was $12 per bag. The next cruise, a few months later, was $20 per bag. Our last cruise, a TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam, was $26 per bag. We are not going to worry about our laundry in the future, because on the last cruise, we became FOUR * Mariners and will have free laundry! :D The laundry was our goal, not the pin or other per

And that is the best solution of all!

Archived