Marinar la veranda questions

esimon

Can you explain the buffet/ordering process on La Veranda - I have cruised other lines - HAL mostly but never the smaller ships. What do I need to know- have read things about sitting and ordering and buffet and now confused. Thanks

the appetizer/first course is serve yourself. you face a selection of cold seafoods, salads, cured meats, grilled vegetables, etc. a waiter may take your plate and carry it back to your table for you.

frog legs were available, cooked to order, one eve when Veranda was the French bistro theme and not the Italian trattoria on a 14-day sail.

your server will bring you your choice of soup and entree.

you are on your own again for dessert. you peruse with plate in hand and decide the size of your serving(s) and how many items you may want to try.

the cheese wagon is also self-serve.

this is what I recall from Mariner in October. hope I am close to answering your question. :)

The above only pertains to the Voyager and Mariner. The Navigator is buffet at dinner (at least that is what I hear from all reports -- I have chosen not to dine in La Veranda on the Navigator.

the OP's question was about Veranda on Mariner... Marinar?

my response would have been different if I thought s/he was asking about Navigator... which has a different service.

on Navigator in Alaska last year, on Mariner in the Med this year. IMO and experience, LV is an alternative to CR and would recommend everyone check it out, or at least look at the daily menus and debate what appeals.

on Navigator in Alaska last year, on Mariner in the Med this year. IMO and experience, LV is an alternative to CR and would recommend everyone check it out, or at least look at the daily menus and debate what appeals.

I have no experience of the Navigator, but as far as the Mariner is concerned, EleanorWW, you are absolutely right. LV is delightful in the evenings and on our last November cruise, very popular. Your waiter will guide you through the process if you need it. Their crepes suzette are wonderful if on the menu and you order those through your waiter.

It isn't clear to me if the OP meant la Veranda for breakfast lunch or dinner! The replies so far refer to dinner. So in case it was one of the other --

At breakfast there is a substantial buffet, with hot and cold things, and an "egg" station. If you order eggs be sure to remember your table number and then a waiter will bring them to you. There is also a daily special which you order from the waiter. In adddition you can order several things - Eggs Benedict, Florentine etc and pancakes etc - from your waiter. And on Sundays it is a champagne buffet with caviar served as well.

Lunch has a standard hot/cold buffet, plus a carving station. You can also order hamburgers via you waiter. He or she will get them for you from the Pool Grill. Also if there is a buffet on the Pool Deck (Tex-Mex, Indian etc) you can take your plate from that into la Veranda if you like. Then add to it from the la Veranda offerings..

La Veranda has an outside seating area. This is on the "fantail" and is a wonderful place to eat on a nice day.

La Veranda has an outside seating area. This is on the "fantail" and is a wonderful place to eat on a nice day.

My wife and I like outside seating areas very much, because we do not like "AC-fridged" restaurants at all.

Is this the only place on the Mariner where we can sit outside and enjoy our meal?

Thanks in advance for your answer and Happy New Year to Switzerland!

My wife and I like outside seating areas very much, because we do not like "AC-fridged" restaurants at all.

Is this the only place on the Mariner where we can sit outside and enjoy our meal?

With the exception of eating on the pool deck, La Veranda is the only dining venue with outside seating. Wish someone could send the "AC-fridged" restaurants from the Mariner to the Voyager -- it was like an oven over there.:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, travelcat2 - on our May-cruise we will check this outside location very often, I guess ... ;)

The "AC-fridged" restaurants were not specified to the Mariner - we don't like them at all. We feel much better in a little breezy natural air on deck, than in a airconditioned inside surrounding.

one of the cost cutting changes I noticed on Regent (it had been three years) is that it is not FREEZING in the dining rooms!!!!! A little colder in the speciality restaurants but nothing like before which was over the top ridiculous.

Archived