teen curfew on Oasis

Just off the Liberty, the first night there were dozens of young teens running the ship, apparently doing a scavenger hunt. One group took a rolling desk chair from the internet area for a long elevator ride and across the promenade, then back. More annoying to me was that their parents were stepping back out of the way and watching them run loud and out of control. With that said, my oldest son (21)was out around 1am walking alone and was stopped by security, and had his ID checked. Reminding him of the 1am curfew for 21 and under. I was happy to see it being enforced.

Oddly enough, the youth (and adult) scavenger hunts are ship sponsored events.

they have rules including no running, pushing, shoving, etc but they aren't followed.

I've seen it get crazy, but I've also seen people knock each other down at the Quest show too.

I was a kid once (many years ago). Raised 3 sons, now grown, who make me very proud. None of us were perfect.

With that being said, I feel qualified to say that parents who think their kids are above lieing, scheming, loud talking, drinking, smoking, fooling around, or other assorted forms of general mis-behavior are living in delusion land and give me a good chuckle. 'Newsflash', none of these kids are as perfect as parents want to believe.

All kids were created with the God-given ability to excel at testing their boundaries. If you essentially give them none, by deciding that rules are for other (less perfect) people, your parenting battle is pretty much lost. Ask your kids in 10-20 years what they got away with, and you might be shocked. Trust me on that one...

I always told my boys that "Nothing good happens out there after midnight." Over the years that fatherism has held up to be pretty true.

So I'd ask on behalf of those of us cruisers who'd rather not be subjected to roving bands of unsupervised feral children, don't defer all your parenting responsibilities to ship's staff just because you're on a cruise. If you as parents don't have expectations of your children, then who will?

And I'm also calling BS on the key cards having any sort of electronic tracking beyond a mag strip, but then I may not be sufficiently observant.

Edited by Doug S

Thank you, you've proven my point quite nicely. YOU decided, as a family, that it was okay to ignore rules set by RCL. I don't think you checked with the other 2-6 thousand guests to get their approval.

Having raised teens, and after every single one of us adults having been a teen, you and I both know one simple fact; Teens lie. I know, yours are the ONLY exception to this rule. They do talk loud in the hall, they do mess around. They do bother people.

I do not smoke, but if I choose to be in an environment that allows it, it was my choice. I would, JUST LIKE YOU, not tolerate a smoker lighting up in the dining room. Why should ANYONE tolerate the fact that YOUR family decided to violate the rules and "not to sweat the small stuff".

Wow. As someone who wasn't a teen that long ago I'm not sure i appreciate being called a liar without you knowing me. :mad: Not saying I am perfect at all but just "Teens Lie" is a bit much......do you lie? Let me guess, your not a teen so no never. :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, or your kids, but i know when I was on a boat and i was out late I wouldn't be causing trouble (and i mean from talking loud to throwing stuff over the side of the boat).

but If I was caught in a lie i would have gotten my a** beat. It was never worth it for me. :o;)

When the curfew (rule) is to be back at 1:00am it should be enforced. According to one of your other posts you mentioned that it was ok for your teen to come back as late as 3am a lot later than 1:30am. As perfect as you and your children are, you are both breaking the rules by allowing your teen to stay out until 3am.

Personally, I find it shocking that you can go to bed and sleep comfortably knowing your teen is not back yet. Have you not heard of the stories of teens getting pulled into areas by ship employees and being raped???? I'm sure this does not happen often, but it certainly has happened.

Rules are set for a reason and should be followed. On our last cruise, we punished our 14 year old daughter for being 15 minutes late. She never did it again. She was punished because she knew the rules and didn't follow them. I guess we were bad parents for expecting her to follow the rules.

Guessing your weren't a boy scout or girl scout?

Buddy system for anyone is always a good idea, 1am isn't going to protect anyone from rape(or murder etc.). (nor is age, They tell 18+ year old women at my school not walk alone after dark and Athens GA is a pretty safe town.) ;)

Not sure you can use that for or against the argument, because a 25 year old can be raped a 12AM so maybe we should just all stay inside our locked houses and never come out. :rolleyes:

Truly sad that this happens to people though. :(

Thank you, you've proven my point quite nicely. YOU decided, as a family, that it was okay to ignore rules set by RCL. I don't think you checked with the other 2-6 thousand guests to get their approval.

Having raised teens, and after every single one of us adults having been a teen, you and I both know one simple fact; Teens lie. I know, yours are the ONLY exception to this rule. They do talk loud in the hall, they do mess around. They do bother people.

I do not smoke, but if I choose to be in an environment that allows it, it was my choice. I would, JUST LIKE YOU, not tolerate a smoker lighting up in the dining room. Why should ANYONE tolerate the fact that YOUR family decided to violate the rules and "not to sweat the small stuff".

Couple things, all teens don't lie anymore than all people. Making the assumption they do is wrong. Theirs aren't the only exception cause they never met mine (no longer teens). I would say something to someone smoking where they aren't supposed to but NEVER say something to someone violating a curfew (which I don't think should be in place). Second hand smoke hurts me, underage kids sitting talking after curfew doesn't. Just my opinion.

I was a kid once (many years ago). Raised 3 sons, now grown, who make me very proud. None of us were perfect.

With that being said, I feel qualified to say that parents who think their kids are above lieing, scheming, loud talking, drinking, smoking, fooling around, or other assorted forms of general mis-behavior are living in delusion land and give me a good chuckle. 'Newsflash', none of these kids are as perfect as parents want to believe.

All kids were created with the God-given ability to excel at testing their boundaries. If you essentially give them none, by deciding that rules are for other (less perfect) people, your parenting battle is pretty much lost. Ask your kids in 10-20 years what they got away with, and you might be shocked. Trust me on that one...

I always told my boys that "Nothing good happens out there after midnight." Over the years that fatherism has held up to be pretty true.

So I'd ask on behalf of those of us cruisers who'd rather not be subjected to roving bands of unsupervised feral children, don't defer all your parenting responsibilities to ship's staff just because you're on a cruise. If you as parents don't have expectations of your children, then who will?

And I'm also calling BS on the key cards having any sort of electronic tracking beyond a mag strip, but then I may not be sufficiently observant.

And this is just one of the reasons why I moved to Texas :)

Edited by debmarie

:confused: I tried to understand how your reply related to the post you quoted so please fill me in on what I missed cause I am confused.:D

I think that Doug's philosophy is fairly common here in Texas. I don't always pay attention to where a poster is from but I wasn't surprised to see he was from Texas.

Edited by debmarie

Wow. As someone who wasn't a teen that long ago I'm not sure i appreciate being called a liar without you knowing me. :mad: Not saying I am perfect at all but just "Teens Lie" is a bit much......do you lie? Let me guess, your not a teen so no never. :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, or your kids, but i know when I was on a boat and i was out late I wouldn't be causing trouble (and i mean from talking loud to throwing stuff over the side of the boat).

but If I was caught in a lie i would have gotten my a** beat. It was never worth it for me. :o;)

So what you are saying is you never told a lie or never withheld the full truth? Ever? :rolleyes:

*I'm* not going to call you a liar, but there is one big piece that everyone is completely missing in this thread and the argument between the "pooh-pooh the curfew" people and the "curfew is in place, so follow it" people...the basic fact that the teenage brain is far from mature. The part of your brain that is responsible for good decision making, fully understanding consequences and the ability to process all those impulses is there but in an immature form.

Guessing your weren't a boy scout or girl scout?

Buddy system for anyone is always a good idea, 1am isn't going to protect anyone from rape(or murder etc.). (nor is age, They tell 18+ year old women at my school not walk alone after dark and Athens GA is a pretty safe town.) ;)

Not sure you can use that for or against the argument, because a 25 year old can be raped a 12AM so maybe we should just all stay inside our locked houses and never come out. :rolleyes:

Truly sad that this happens to people though. :(

As far as girl scout thing goes....actually I was a girl scout and presently so are my girls, we have the many "extra" cookie boxes in our cabinet to prove it. :)

As far as the buddy system goes....I have 4 kids (3 who are teens) and our kids are never allowed to be alone by themselves on a cruiseship. Luckily, our 2 older girls are close enough in age where the buddy system is easy for them. In the incident I referred to, my 14 year old kept telling her older sister to "hold on" causing them to be late. I held the younger one accountable. I didn't punish the older one because she knew better than to leave her younger sister alone just so she could meet a curfew.

As far as the age thing goes, I am fully aware that I can not protect my girls or son all of the time, but I give them the best tools I can to prevent this from ever hopefully happening as should every other parent. Allowing them to stay out past 1am in my opinion is just wrong! :rolleyes:

Just because it "can" happen at any time, doesn't mean you shouldn't practice some good common sense! The entire point of this thread was if the curfew is enforced. It is still my opinion that teens under 18 should not be allowed to roam a ship by themselves after 1am. It is our job as parents to be good parents not cool ones!

Edited by funfamilyof6

Couple things, all teens don't lie anymore than all people. Making the assumption they do is wrong. Theirs aren't the only exception cause they never met mine (no longer teens). I would say something to someone smoking where they aren't supposed to but NEVER say something to someone violating a curfew (which I don't think should be in place). Second hand smoke hurts me, underage kids sitting talking after curfew doesn't. Just my opinion.

Your absolutely correct. All teens don't lie. However as a parent, if you believe that they would never lie or test their boundaries, you have basically flunked the parent test by already deciding they can do no wrong.

So we went from "does RCI have a curfew and do they enforce it" to "good parent/bad parent/can teenage kids be trusted" in less than 3 pages .... what a surprise. :rolleyes:

I suppose it would be futile to ask everyone to keep to themselves their gratuitous opinions about parenting skills and the honesty of teenagers generally, and stick to the topic.....

Just a suggestion.

So we went from "does RCI have a curfew and do they enforce it" to "good parent/bad parent/can teenage kids be trusted" in less than 3 pages .... what a surprise. :rolleyes:

I suppose it would be futile to ask everyone to keep to themselves their gratuitous opinions about parenting skills and the honesty of teenagers generally, and stick to the topic.....

Just a suggestion.

You are obviously new to this forum.;)

This thread has actually stayed on topic longer than most kid related threads in this forum.

Just a suggestion.

Suggestion noted. However, threads do tend to wander a bit, just as conversations do. If not, all threads would be about 3 posts long....

Your absolutely correct. All teens don't lie. However as a parent, if you believe that they would never lie or test their boundaries, you have basically flunked the parent test by already deciding they can do no wrong.

My kids are grown and I am comfortable we did fine on the parent test.