teen curfew on Oasis

In my experience on Anthem (and on Breakaway), many teens (mine included) hung out well past 1am with some level of approval from the teen staff. They got food at the various 24 hour venues, sat in areas like the library and talked. What teens do. If they were acting up, they'd be told to head to their rooms.

To the OP: this is why there is a curfew and why it should be enforced and parents should be responsible for their children.

Two arrested, accused of raping teen on cruise ship

Iowa 15-year-old was on 10-day cruise with parents.

Read this thread that is currently on this board.

Yep, this is the type of thing that can easily happen in the dark corners of the ship after dark when the crowds are thin. As many as 90% of girls who are date-raped do not report it ... how many times do you think that's happened on a ship? Maybe you're not old enough to have cried with a girlfriend who allowed that cute guy she met in math class into her dorm room alone ... but I've seen it happen plenty of times ... she thought he was such a nice guy, and she thought they'd just talk, make out a little ... after all, only nice people are in college! ... his thoughts were different. "A group of kids talking quietly on the pool deck" is only a few steps away from "A group of kids drinking /using drugs in the dark passageway to the heli-pad" or "A bunch of kids who were alone with near-strangers in someone's empty cabin ... and don't think for a minute that it can't happen to a good kid. Good kids are susceptible to peer pressure just as much as rowdy kids. How well do you really know those new friends whom you just met two days ago?

Let your kids have some freedom on the ship -- but in the daylight, when these scary things are less likely to happen. It's a parent's job to keep kids out of age-inappropriate situations.

My kids are adults now, but I've always thought 1:00 is too late for kids to be out. Ours have always been with us (we actually like being together) or in a supervised event after dinner. Number of times they've whined about it: Zero.

Yes, they are still children until they are 18.
Well, I teach 17-18-19 year olds every day. They're legal adults at 18, but they're not really adults in terms of decision making ... at least not consistently.

Not sure you can use that for or against the argument, because a 25 year old can be raped a 12AM so maybe we should just all stay inside our locked houses and never come out
Sure, an older woman can be raped, but -- and teens hate to hear this -- older women do have more experience in the world and typically are more able to troubleshoot and take care of themselves. We're talking about cruises; 25 year olds are more likely to be traveling with a trusted significant other /less likely to be running around with people they've known only days.

Looking back, 25 year old me was WAY smarter and more capable in every way than 18 year old me. My 23 year old daughter is significantly more responsible and safety-oriented than is her 19-year old sister. Sorry to sound condescending, but you'll understand that in the not too distant future.

Do you know the term "Reductio ad Absurdum"? That's what you're (not your) doing when you suggest that we never leave our houses again out of fear.

No more than all people do.
This is only my own opinion, but I do think teens lie more often than adults do. Why? Start with this: I don't think most go around lying just for the fun of it; instead, people lie to avoid difficult situations /to get out of trouble /similar reasons. Because teens are required to follow their parents' rules, and if they're in trouble it's not too hard to get out of it with a lie. Adults have more freedom /fewer restrictions; thus, less motivation to lie.

Whether I'm right or wrong in my opinion, this line of discussion has really disintegrated into nothing more than a schoolyard "Yes, you do!" "No, I don't!" Silly.

Blah. Here we go with teens are physically stupid. Here is the deal, Teach your kids right from wrong and be done with it but "their brains can't handle it" is kinda lame.
No, dear, that's science. Not even remotely up for debate ... though again you've dipped into the realm of Reductio ad Absurdum by phrasing it in a silly way.

Need evidence?

National Public Radio is a reliable source: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

MIT, one of most prestigious universities in the US says the same thing: http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/youngadult/brain.html

Finally, here's what the Public Broadcasting System has to say: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/teenbrain/work/adolescent.html

Big G,

I am afraid I have to disagree with you. The key part of the Dawgfans post is "Not trusting a teen just because they are a teen". The point is that you can not label all teens the same, just as you can not label all people of a certain race or sex the same. I think this a completely fair and true point.

Well that's and oldie. That probably wasn't worded great so I'll just say not all teens are created equal. I will say that after a career in law enforcement that I've met some pretty disappointed parents that thought their kids were more mature than others. There will always be exceptions. It was a 5 year old comment my guess is I had a problem introducing a race and gender analogy into a maturity discussion.

Well that's and oldie. That probably wasn't worded great so I'll just say not all teens are created equal. I will say that after a career in law enforcement that I've met some pretty disappointed parents that thought their kids were more mature than others. There will always be exceptions. It was a 5 year old comment my guess is I had a problem introducing a race and gender analogy into a maturity discussion.

Ha. I did not even realize how old that was. Read the whole thing with out ever noticing the dates. My bad. Would not have even commented had I realized it was so old. Have a good night.

You definitely don't need to convince me that sometimes young people can make disappointing decisions. Unfortunately, my son learned valuable lessons through the misfortunes of some of his classmates and friends. Sounds like your retired now, thank you for your service.

Ha. I did not even realize how old that was. Read the whole thing with out ever noticing the dates. My bad. Would not have even commented had I realized it was so old. Have a good night.

You definitely don't need to convince me that sometimes young people can make disappointing decisions. Unfortunately, my son learned valuable lessons through the misfortunes of some of his classmates and friends. Sounds like your retired now, thank you for your service.

Thanks. I was lucky enough that both my kids pretty much towed the line as far as I know and both have there own successes now. That's all we can ask.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately many parents do not care if their children stay out after curfew, as we know the ship is a safe place RIGHT. The parents who see no problem with breaking the curfew, will only care if/when something BAD happens and then they will most likely file a A LAW SUIT blaming the ship.

It states in the explanation of the junior cruisers curfew that junior cruisers participating in programs provided by the teen staff are an exceotion.

My kids have also been told by the teen staff that when the nighttime event concludes that they may go to Sorrentos to get food before returning to their cabin.

Is that always a nighttime event?