Does tipping the porter at the pier assure delivery of goods??

SRQfireman

Just like slipping the Skycap at the airport a $20 and telling him "careful with this 40 pounder" when you know full well it is overweight, and subject to the $50-$75 heavy bag fee from the Airline. Somehow your bag makes it to your destination without the heavy tag or the fee!:D:D

This is comparing apples to oranges!! That skycap has the scale....as far as I know, nobody down the line has a scale. So if he checks you in at the curb, and doesn't weigh your bag, who else is going to weigh it??? nobody. He puts it on the conveyor belt and it's on it's journey to the luggage sorting area and onto the plane....I highly doubt anybody is going to reweigh that bag. They rely on it being done "properly" in the beginning, and after that, it's a done deal.

If you think giving the porter at the cruise port that same $20 to assure you're going to get your goodies on the other end,it ain't happening.....that was my point :o:eek:

Trade union workers get paid a high hourly rate partly because they don't have a full time or steady income. When there isn't work, they don't get paid. If they don't get a sufficient number of hours in a given year, they can be denied health benefits in the following year. It's not the gravy train and, if it was, there'd be a lot of current white collar managers lining up for those jobs.

Oh, Geezus! When I saw the title of this thread, I knew there would be someone in here spewing this crap again. For the 1000th time, porters are not included in this. Porting is a tipping postion not included in salary obligations. How do I know? My BIL is a porter in Miami. He volunteers for the extra shifts as a porter to make extra money. As for his normal port job, the $20/hr is about right. But if any of you have ever lived in S. Florida, you would know 40k/yr is very tough to live on. That's like 20k/yr in many mid-western towns. If his salary was soooooo great, he would not still be driving a 1990 Ford Ranger and working a night security job.

If people want to be cheap, then be cheap. Whatever. But going so far out of your way to be cheap as to Google search stuff like this is just sick. :rolleyes:

Yeah, like you said, they 'volunteer' for the extra money. They get people to give them $1 each for the 50 to 100 bags they handle per hour. That's $50 to $100 an hour - or even more, since some people probably tip even more! I wish I got paid half as much. And it's in cash that they probably don't claim on their taxes. Nice racket they have going. :rolleyes:

Yeah, like you said, they 'volunteer' for the extra money. They get people to give them $1 each for the 50 to 100 bags they handle per hour. That's $50 to $100 an hour - or even more, since some people probably tip even more! I wish I got paid half as much. And it's in cash that they probably don't claim on their taxes. Nice racket they have going. :rolleyes:

First off, many people do not tip because many people get to the port in buses. Without having to hand over a bag, people are less likely to tip. As for the cars, they rotate turns because that's where most tips come from.

But even if they do make $50-$100/hr, and that's more than you make, is that really an excuse to blindly and ignorantly throw out accusations of tax evasion? Sounds more like an incesurity complex to me. Not exactly a reason to fault them for working weekends just to make extra money. :rolleyes:

We tip the porters I suppose because it's polite, I don't like it as I'd rather give that tip to the ship employees who sort, move and deliver the bags. We tip $1 per bag, which means $2. Don't fool yourself thinking they will take better care of your bag if you tip more, they don't even look at it.

It's also one of the reasons we tip more to our cabin steward at the end of the week, they really work hard for you, just like the wait staff.

There is no way the porters can make sure your bag makes it to the cabin intact. They are not allowed onto the ship, they are just on shore in the terminal.

As we tip to be polite getting on the ship, most of the time we avoid them getting off the ship. One nice thing about not overpacking is having the ability to handle your own bags. I don't begrudge them an income, I just have had bad experiences on the way out.

.... is that really an excuse to blindly and ignorantly throw out accusations of tax evasion? Sounds more like an incesurity complex to me. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. He didn't insult you, so why are you insulting him with that derogatory statement??? :confused:

Everything I said is easy to find with a little research, or knowing the right people. Starting pay is around 19.86 an hour which puts you at 40K without overtime. They get overtime.

I don't care if the porters are millionaires. If, when I drive up, he opens the door for my wife, greets us nicely, then lifts our bags, including her over packed, heavy bag out of the trunk, I will gladly give him a few bucks. That's how tipping works. If the porter is able to prosper as a result, I say good for him.

Hmmmm. He didn't insult you, so why are you insulting him with that derogatory statement??? :confused:

Look at post #46. I explained I have a family member in the business. He said:

And it's in cash that they probably don't claim on their taxes. Nice racket they have going. :rolleyes:

By insinuating a family member of mine evades taxes and is involved in a "racket" certainly is insulting.

Wouldn't you be insulted if I belittled your loved ones?

Something that everyone might want to keep in mind - the porters at piers are not cruise ship employees. They are longshoreman employeed by the terminal in which they are working. They role your luggage into the terminal and turn it over. One of my friend's husband is a longshoreman in San Pedro, CA. He loves cruise ship days as he makes alot of money from tips above and beyond his typical income.

And, to an earlier poster - it's not a racket. It's their job. They are helping people and there are people who gladly give tips to people providing this type of service. Don't tip if you think it's a racket.

I'm a tipping believer and tip them but don't expect that they have anything to do with when and how safely my luggage gets to my cabin.

Side note: Vancouver, BC is clearly NOT on the honor system when it comes to luggage. They take pictures of your bags all the way including when it arrives at the carousel. How do I know? I lost a bag there and they were able to pull up images. It cross references the images to the barcode on your luggage and to the barcode on your ticket so it is all tracked back to you. There were able to see exactly where it went (wrong carousel!) and when.

The girl told me they do the same thing with luggage getting onto planes. It is photographed the last time as it is scanned and enters the hold. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Not like that at the airport where I work!

Is there also someone preventing thieves at the carousel from walking off with the "wrong" bag?

This topic has been addressed so many times already. The porters are not employed by the ship, they are longshoreman, in a union, and make 50K or more a year up to as much as 125K depending on the port. They do more than just grab your bags. I might even venture to say that they love working on the days ships come in. Now, a good one, might hustle, and grab as many as 100 bags an hour. That will probable give him an extra $100 - $200 an hour for maybe 3 hours loading, and 3 hours off loading. This group of people are not "service" people such as waiters and cabin attendants. They are professional, union workers that get a fair and good wage.

So what you're saying is because they're in a union they make good money and don't need the tip? Well I'm in a union and make less then $6 an hour and count on tips as my income. Just because you're in a union doesn't mean you make 50K+ a year.

Of course anyone in there right mind knows more then that porters hands touch your bag from your car to stateroom. But yes, they are providing a service, there for should be tipped.

But yes, they are providing a service, there for should be tipped.

The one that should be tipped is the person who brings the luggage to your room. He's the one who made sure you have your luggage where you need it. Unfortunately, this poor guy has to do the same work as the guy at the curb, and get's nothing extra for his effort. And, being a member of the ship's crew, he probably get's paid much less that that porter at the curb. Seems like the wrong end of the process is the only end that gets rewarded.

While some of you discuss the average porter's salary, I'd like to take a slightly different point of view. Whether a porter makes $6.00 an hour or $60.00 an hour is irrelavant. He/she is being paid to do a job, and that is to move baggage from point "A" to point "B", either by carrying it or putting it on a cart. Keep in mind the word "tip" is actually an abbreviation for "To Insure Promptness". So, let's start from the airport, and follow the baggage to the ship. You arrive at the airport for your departing flight, and let's say you have one suitcase. A skycap takes your bag from you and puts it on a cart. You give him $2.00. You arrive at your destination and retrieve your bag from the baggage claim area. Another skycap carries your bag for you out to the curb and puts it near the vehicle that will be transporting you to the pier. You give him $2.00. You arrive at the pier, and the driver takes your bag out of the vehicle and sets it on the curb. You give him $2.00. A porter takes your bag from the curb and puts it on cart. You give him $2.00. From there, your bag is combined with all of the other bags that will be loaded onto the ship. So, in all, you spent $8.00, and your bag didn't get on the ship and delivered to your room any more quickly than someone who opted not to tip each person that touched your bag. So much for "promptness". Whether or not you choose to tip each person that handles your bag, and how much, is up to you. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that offering a larger tip than someone else will ensure your "goods" are delivered any more quickly than some one else's. Handled differently, perhaps. Delivered more quickly, doubtful.

It does not mean to "To insure promptness" or any of the other variations. Here is the meaning and where it comes from:

There are common inaccurate claims[2] that "tip" (or "tips") is an acronym for a phrase such as "To Insure Prompt Service", "To Insure Proper Service", "To Improve Performance", "To Inspire Promptness" or "To Insure Promptness." These false backronyms contradict the verifiable etymology, as follows.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word tip originated as a slang term, and its etymology is unclear. The term in the sense of "to give a gratuity" first appeared in the 18th century. It derived from an earlier sense of tip, meaning "to give; to hand, pass", which originated in the rogues' cant in the 17th century. This sense may have derived from the 16th-century tip meaning "to strike or hit smartly but lightly" (which may have derived from the Low German tippen, "to tap"), but this derivation is "very uncertain".[3]

Bottom line, if you want to tip someone for providing a service, go ahead, if not, good luck.

We always tip.

While some of you discuss the average porter's salary, I'd like to take a slightly different point of view. Whether a porter makes $6.00 an hour or $60.00 an hour is irrelavant. He/she is being paid to do a job, and that is to move baggage from point "A" to point "B", either by carrying it or putting it on a cart. Keep in mind the word "tip" is actually an abbreviation for "To Insure Promptness".

Sorry, that is an old wive's tale. One insures their car, one insures their house, one insures their life, but one does not insure promptness. Did you perhaps mean ensure? Then it would be TEPS. ;)

In the US people generally tip for two reasons:

1) Somebody is earning a reduced wage (i.e. a waitress) and carries out their expected service (i.e. take your order and bring you your food). Other service personnel who perform a similar duties would not be tipped if they are earning a full salary (i.e. you would not tip a flight attendant for serving you a cocktail). Likewise you'd tip a skycap at the airport for carrying your luggage, but not the person who offloads your luggage from the plane and brings it to the baggage claim area (similar work, but one is receiving a reduced salary expected to be supplemented by tips and one receives a full salary).

2) Somebody already earning a good wage goes above and beyond the call of duty. For example an electrician performs some extra work for you for no additional charge and you tip them to express your gratitude. In either case tipping has nothing to do with insuring (or ensuring) promptness.

In terms of the people serving as porters at US cruise terminals, the several people on this thread who posted that they are union longshoremen are correct. They are receiving very good pay and you are already compensating them for their basic duty (putting your luggage on the cart beside them and rolling the cart a few yards where others take over) in your port fees. They fall into category #2. If all you do is hand them your luggage as you enter the cruise terminal absolutely no need or expectation to tip them; there are even signs up at all US ports saying they do not need to be tipped (and in a couple of ports they are not supposed to accept tips). If however they perform extra service for you (i.e. carry your baggage from your car, write up new luggage tags for you if your room changed or you forgot them, if they treat you extra nicely or if at the end of the cruise you have them help you with your luggage) then giving them a tip is a nice thing to do.

As for the comments a couple of people made about why wouldn't people posting on this thread switch to their job, as an FYI longshoremen jobs are highly coveted (due in part to the great pay and benefits) and it is not easy to land such a job; you often need connections to do so. And as for the people who have commented that they know people serving as porters at US ports who do not earn a lot, the ports do have stevedores that earn considerably less but these people are NOT the people serving as porters for cruise ships - this is exclusively done by longshoremen.

I personally do not tip the porters at the terminal if all I am doing is handing them my luggage as I enter the terminal. They are already receiving generous compensation and are only pushing the luggage a few yards on a cart. I have tipped them on a couple of occasions where I needed assistance with new luggage tags. I prefer to save this money for extra tips for the hard working crew on the ship who earn (from their employer) in one month what the longshoremen earn in about an hour.

Sorry, that is an old wive's tale. One insures their car, one insures their house, one insures their life, but one does not insure promptness. Did you perhaps mean ensure? Then it would be TEPS. ;)

In the US people generally tip for two reasons:

1) Somebody is earning a reduced wage (i.e. a waitress) and carries out their expected service (i.e. take your order and bring you your food). Other service personnel who perform a similar duties would not be tipped if they are earning a full salary (i.e. you would not tip a flight attendant for serving you a cocktail). Likewise you'd tip a skycap at the airport for carrying your luggage, but not the person who offloads your luggage from the plane and brings it to the baggage claim area (similar work, but one is receiving a reduced salary expected to be supplemented by tips and one receives a full salary).

2) Somebody already earning a good wage goes above and beyond the call of duty. For example an electrician performs some extra work for you for no additional charge and you tip them to express your gratitude. In either case tipping has nothing to do with insuring (or ensuring) promptness.

In terms of the people serving as porters at US cruise terminals, the several people on this thread who posted that they are union longshoremen are correct. They are receiving very good pay and you are already compensating them for their basic duty (putting your luggage on the cart beside them and rolling the cart a few yards where others take over) in your port fees. They fall into category #2. If all you do is hand them your luggage as you enter the cruise terminal absolutely no need or expectation to tip them; there are even signs up at all US ports saying they do not need to be tipped (and in a couple of ports they are not supposed to accept tips). If however they perform extra service for you (i.e. carry your baggage from your car, write up new luggage tags for you if your room changed or you forgot them, if they treat you extra nicely or if at the end of the cruise you have them help you with your luggage) then giving them a tip is a nice thing to do.

As for the comments a couple of people made about why wouldn't people posting on this thread switch to their job, as an FYI longshoremen jobs are highly coveted (due in part to the great pay and benefits) and it is not easy to land such a job; you often need connections to do so. And as for the people who have commented that they know people serving as porters at US ports who do not earn a lot, the ports do have stevedores that earn considerably less but these people are NOT the people serving as porters for cruise ships - this is exclusively done by longshoremen.

I personally do not tip the porters at the terminal if all I am doing is handing them my luggage as I enter the terminal. They are already receiving generous compensation and are only pushing the luggage a few yards on a cart. I have tipped them on a couple of occasions where I needed assistance with new luggage tags. I prefer to save this money for extra tips for the hard working crew on the ship who earn (from their employer) in one month what the longshoremen earn in about an hour.

Thank you for the most well written and informative comment yet on this thread, and probably in all the other threads on this same topic.

When it comes to the lengths some people will go to in order to support their choice to stiff a man, all I can say is - wow. Calling them scammers, crooks and even going as far as researching a man's income and writing a book about it here; about someone who is not even here to defend themselves? Again, wow.

As far as I'm concerned, tipping is an individual choice, and whatever others do is their choice. I usually tip, but do not tell others they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT tip.:) We can discuss this forever and not reach a unanimous agreement.:)

I think of our tip to the stevedore as a bit of insurance our bag doesn't accidentally go missing from one of the metal cages or fall over the edge of the dock into the water. :eek: It's just usual and normal for us to tip those who help us when we travel. I don't think the guy at the dock is the best place to try and save a few dollars. If you want to travel, these are expenses one should plan for IMO

I think of our tip to the stevedore as a bit of insurance our bag doesn't accidentally go missing from one of the metal cages or fall over the edge of the dock into the water. :eek: It's just usual and normal for us to tip those who help us when we travel. I don't think the guy at the dock is the best place to try and save a few dollars. If you want to travel, these are expenses one should plan for IMO

Are you serious??? By you paying for your "insurance" at the curb, you are going to keep your suitcases out of the drink?......WOW.....Alrighty then.......Then as Artie Johnson of the old Laugh In days would say.....vaardee interesting.

Personally, I tip the customary amount, I don't step up to the plate and acquire the "baggage insurance"

Are you serious??? By you paying for your "insurance" at the curb, you are going to keep your suitcases out of the drink?.

Totally agree..

I think that if you are pleasant and profesional with the curb porter but don't tip a dime your bags will make it to your stateroom in the exact same fashion as the guy next to you who was pleasant and professional, but tipped $10.

The only exception I could see is if you were rude or ignorant to the porter and didn't tip, but even then all I could see happening is that your bags might end up with a bit of an little extra rouging-up while being loaded onto the carts.

To suggest that anyone is going to keep an eye on your bag all special-like after you leave the curb so that they can intentionally throw it into the water while loading is just ridiculous. I doubt a porter would risk his job over something so petty.

A bit of hyperbole.......

I don't seriously believe the untipped stevedore is going to intentionally drop a bag in the water but when we travel, we thank those who help us in the universally accepted manner...... by tipping. It is a cost of travel and it is what we choose to do.

I never here told anyone else what they should do. ;)

For the first time that I have been aware of 3 pieces of luggage went into the water while embarking the Oosterdam on Christmas Eve. Two bags went to the bottom and the third floated all afternoon and was retrieved by 2 junior deck officers in a ship's boat just as we pulled away from the pier. Later I met one of the couples whose bag had been retrieved but I didn't have the courage to ask if they had tipped the porter or not.;)

Archived