Does tipping the porter at the pier assure delivery of goods??

SRQfireman

One insures their car, one insures their house, one insures their life, but one does not insure promptness. Did you perhaps mean ensure? Then it would be TEPS. ;)

According to the Oxford American Dictionary, "insure" also means "to ensure". In any case, tipping someone for handling your luggage is like saying "Thank-you" with cash. It won't get your luggage delivered any quicker, but I also don't believe not tipping means your stuff will end up in Davey Jones's locker either. If that was so, there'd be a lot of well-dressed fish swimming around (Oh, look honey! That octopus has a three- piece suit that looks just like yours!):rolleyes:

One insures their car, one insures their house, one insures their life, but one does not insure promptness. Did you perhaps mean ensure? Then it would be TEPS. ;)

According to the Oxford American Dictionary, "insure" also means "to ensure". In any case, tipping someone for handling your luggage is like saying "Thank-you" with cash. It won't get your luggage delivered any quicker, but I also don't believe not tipping means your stuff will end up in Davey Jones's locker either. If that was so, there'd be a lot of well-dressed fish swimming around (Oh, look honey! That octopus has a three- piece suit that looks just like yours!):rolleyes:

Sounds like you might need a new dictionary. :D

http://www.ask.com/questions-about/What-Is-the-Difference-between-Insure-and-Ensure

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-insure-and-ensure.htm

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/d14.html

http://www.reference.com/motif/business/what-is-the-difference-between-insure-and-ensure

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/assure-ensure-insure.aspx

http://mightyredpen.wordpress.com/2007/08/13/ensure-versus-insure/

On a recent cruise out of New York City (Brooklyn pier), we overheard a porter say, "Thank you for your tip". The only problem was that he hadn't been tipped yet! A not-so-subtle "hint" that you'd better tip me...... Just for the record, we always tip regardless of whether it ensures that we get our luggage onboard or not. So far, so good.

Also FYI, the person who delivers the luggage to your stateroom (and takes it away on the last night) is usually your cabin steward or the assistant.

Tania

We tip because they are providing ME with a service, not as insurance that the bag will reach my cabin. Those bags are quickly handed off to the ship's crew. We also tip the crew member who delivers our luggage as we are usually in the cabin when the bags arrive. It would have been nice, on our last cruise, if someone/anyone had told us that one of our bags somehow got hit with a vehicle or crushed in a door. It wasn't visible when it was retrieved off the conveyor belt, but when we arrived home, the luggage had a V-shaped print in the corner and the material inside the piece of luggage was crumbled up and fell out on the floor when it was opened. So, how do you avoid having things happen to the luggage when disembarking? You can't always avoid loss or damage...things just happen. And, this still didn't dampen our view that this was a great cruise, with great service!

I am surprised people continue to tip drivers, and still have a need for porters prior to a cruise. Disney Cruise Line's shuttle / transport service does not require a gratuity ... and there are no union or local porters to deal with when you get off of a Disney shuttle / transport. Delivery of your bags is INCLUDED with your cruise fare.

Disney Cruise Line PERMITS you to bring water, soda and alcohol aboard their ships (and soda is free 24/7 at the beverage station). No need to (WINK, WINK), TIP someone to get your illegal stash to your stateroom. Disney does NOT charge a corkage fee if you consume your alcohol in a public room or dining room ... ONLY if you want the alcohol to be stored, and forwarded to your next restaurant. In fact, the assistant server will cheerfully ask if you want your alcohol opened, chilled and served (again, no corkage fee). Since your server and assistant server follow you from restaurant to restaurant, you tip them at the END of the cruise. No need to tip someone each tip you are handed a glass.

I am a Pepsi fan. Since Disney serves Coke products, I may drink a Pepsi every now and then. In the unlikely event I bring my own Pepsi to dinner, they will ask me if I want a glass and/or ice ... no fee or tip required.

When flying into town, Disney provides the ability for your luggage to be picked up at the airport, and taken directly to your stateroom (no charge, no porters). The only time I touch my luggage, is when clearing customs debarking the ship. :D

On a recent cruise out of New York City (Brooklyn pier), we overheard a porter say, "Thank you for your tip". The only problem was that he hadn't been tipped yet! A not-so-subtle "hint" that you'd better tip me......

I tip, especially on vacation, because I'm usually in a good mood and I appreciate those who's personality or service make my trip an enjoyable experience. Sometimes a sign or subtle hint is necessary reminder for infrequent travellers that it is customary, or not, because in the chaos you may be distracted and forget.

That being said, I'm sure many of you have experienced that service person who spent more time on not so subtly reminding you of tipping instead of providing good friendly service, which for me tends to reduce their tip.

We tip because they are providing ME with a service, not as insurance that the bag will reach my cabin. Those bags are quickly handed off to the ship's crew. We also tip the crew member who delivers our luggage as we are usually in the cabin when the bags arrive. It would have been nice, on our last cruise, if someone/anyone had told us that one of our bags somehow got hit with a vehicle or crushed in a door. It wasn't visible when it was retrieved off the conveyor belt, but when we arrived home, the luggage had a V-shaped print in the corner and the material inside the piece of luggage was crumbled up and fell out on the floor when it was opened. So, how do you avoid having things happen to the luggage when disembarking? You can't always avoid loss or damage...things just happen. And, this still didn't dampen our view that this was a great cruise, with great service!

There are some travelers insurance companies that offer additional coverage for lost, damaged, or stolen items, such as luggage. I would imagine you would need to provide some sort of documentation when filing a claim, but if the cost of the additional coverage is only a few dollars more, it might be worth it if something like this were ever to happen again.

For the first time that I have been aware of 3 pieces of luggage went into the water while embarking the Oosterdam on Christmas Eve. Two bags went to the bottom and the third floated all afternoon and was retrieved by 2 junior deck officers in a ship's boat just as we pulled away from the pier. Later I met one of the couples whose bag had been retrieved but I didn't have the courage to ask if they had tipped the porter or not.;)

This post caught my eye as I'm planning to cruise on the Oosterdam this year (my first cruise!) and I'm choosing which luggage to buy. My first consideration has been the size/weight/durability constraints for the airline baggage system, but now I have the idea to try and buy buoyant luggage in case of this rare luggage overboard mishap ;) But hoping for the best of course!

More seriously - tipping is not as common in Australia as it is in many parts of the world so I'm trying to become familiar with the usual courtesy when cruising, especially with Holland America. These discussion forums are a wonderful resource. I appreciate all the hints and opinions I read about the many aspects of cruising :)

Probably doesn't make a difference if they issue a receipt or not. The airlines are on the honor system also. They don't check baggage claim tickets as you leave. Who's to say you didn't pick up and extra bag or the wrong bag and walk out. Or better yet, put your bag in the car and come back and say it never came down the baggage chute. It happens all the time at airports.

At the Manila airport they have security positioned at the door of the arrivals hall, and they check your baggage receipts against the tags on the luggage. First time it happened, it threw me for a loop, since I didn't know where I'd stashed my receipts. But it's sort of reassuring to know that there is someone making sure that no one is walking out with someone else's luggage.

While very few bags really do go missing between the dock and the ship and vice versa, I always wondered why passengers tend to be so complacent about the "honor system" that is used by the cruise lines with respect to luggage as opposed to what is done with the airlines.

On any airline, when you check your luggage, you are given a computerized individualized receipt with a serial number that can be traced.

My first experience was a cruise in October, I got out of the cab and a rather gruff man got my suitcase out of the cab. He said, "and this is where you tip your porter" I must have looked rather dumbfounded cos he had to repeat himself. I tipped him, he took the bag 3 feet and put it on the bin. I must admit I felt uncomfortable with that...but I had to let it go and thankfully everything arrived safely in the cabin and I had a lovely cruise.

While very few bags really do go missing between the dock and the ship and vice versa, I always wondered why passengers tend to be so complacent about the "honor system" that is used by the cruise lines with respect to luggage as opposed to what is done with the airlines.

On any airline, when you check your luggage, you are given a computerized individualized receipt with a serial number that can be traced.

Probably because the luggage is only moving a short distance to a ship that is usually right there in full view. With the airlines, the luggage goes into a mysterious hole in the wall, goes through several conveyors that runs it through a security scanner, then get's loaded on a cart destined for one of many different planes at that terminal, and get's loaded onto your plane (hopefully). At the destination terminal, it get's unloaded onto a yet another cart, taken into the terminal, and, if this is a connecting flight, gets reloaded onto still another cart that takes it to yet another of many planes at this terminal, then onto your plane (again, hopefully!). At the final destination, it is finally unloaded onto one more cart and, if everything goes according to plan, it is finally loaded onto the carousel that you are waiting in front of.

Much more complicated than from the curb to your stateroom.

Reading through this thread, really saddened me.

It made me ponder on how, what was once considered a kindly gesture for good service rendered, has somehow now morphed itself into this fearful black hole, giving people all these reasons for unfounded, unproven fears; the obligated need to be seen to doing the right thing, splashing cash in all directions, of which some people will happily take full advantage, deserving or not; and in some of these replies, instances of dockside intimidation, or moral blackmail, for maybe just a few metres of work effort.

What about the guys who unload the bags at the end of the cruise, folks? Who tips them? Nobody, yet do all the bags then end up in the water?

Tipping a baggage porter to carry them away, isnt the answer as almost certainly they won't be on the same team, as its unlikely he/she will have security clearance to be 'ship-side' of the operation.

The phrase "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself!" comes to mind.

I "tip" where it's a pleasure to do so, often quite generously. I don't avoid, or try to avoid the customary cruise and euphemistically termed 'hotel charges" either, but I'll not tip, if or where there is any underlying threat or implied feeling of obligation to do so.

Tippping has fast become a worldwide contagion, and is spreading everywhere, as more and more people attempt to climb on the gravy train.

Here in my adopted country, they've now even got a 'tips box' on the payment counter of local Electricity Board office.

Why do they consider themselves worthy of a tip, for the simple expedient of accepting our monthly payments across the counter, whilst the important people who actually generate and maintain the supply to our home get nothing extra?? Its a nonsense.

This seems like a good idea. Even if there is still some risk, I would feel better knowing additional security is provided. After all, I usually take more nice things on cruises (because of the formal nights) than I would take on just any old airline vacation.

I was shocked returning to Ft Lauderdale when we saw and heard, at the curbside, a porter shouting to a well-dressed couple, "you cheapskates, this is NOT enough", and acting in a threatening manner! The couple stood their ground, and the porter walked away grumbling! We had given him $4 for 2 large bags, and wondered what the rules are regarding tipping at curbside.

I was shocked returning to Ft Lauderdale when we saw and heard, at the curbside, a porter shouting to a well-dressed couple, "you cheapskates, this is NOT enough", and acting in a threatening manner! The couple stood their ground, and the porter walked away grumbling! We had given him $4 for 2 large bags, and wondered what the rules are regarding tipping at curbside.

That is unacceptable. In all my cruises, nothing like that has ever happened to me, but if it did, I would take his name, demand his supervisor, and follow up with a formal complaint. He gives the others a bad name by his behavior.

Maybe the 'tipping culture' is out of control?

Archived