HAL--NEVER again Eurodam 12/17-24

bcruiser1

OK, I know this thread has gone on too long, but I couldn't resist. Usually when I see these kind of posts, I fell bad for the person writing because I know loyalists are going to pounce, and they did. We were, however, on the same cruise and, yes, it was a totally different experience. We ate in all the specialty restaurants, interacted with the front desk, went to the first cooking lesson, and went to most of the trivias. All the staff were great. In some instances it could have been because we were in a deluxe suite and they might have seen that when we checked in. If that is the case, then that is sad.

We laughed every time they said there were more than 400 children on the ship. We were on a cruise at Thanksgiving with 2,000 kids. For the most part, the ship seemed quiet and uncrowded. Most of the times, we were the only ones in the elevator - including debarkation. The poster did have a point about the chef, but it was actually humorous in a way. He said they give him no budget for any of the fee or free demonstrations, which is not good. He too, though, was very nice.

Anyway, on a large ship different people can experience different things. On an April 2009 cruise on Celebrity Solstice, we hated how they crammed us into the dining room on what they called a table for 4 that was actually a table for 10, but I've never seen anyone else complain about it.

Finally, the ship had no more vibration than any of the other 18 cruises I have been on.

[quote name='glanders']OK, I know this thread has gone on too long, but I couldn't resist. Usually when I see these kind of posts, I fell bad for the person writing because I know loyalists are going to pounce, and they did. We were, however, on the same cruise and, yes, it was a totally different experience. We ate in all the specialty restaurants, interacted with the front desk, went to the first cooking lesson, and went to most of the trivias. All the staff were great. In some instances it could have been because we were in a deluxe suite and they might have seen that when we checked in. If that is the case, then that is sad.

We laughed every time they said there were more than 400 children on the ship. We were on a cruise at Thanksgiving with 2,000 kids. For the most part, the ship seemed quiet and uncrowded. Most of the times, we were the only ones in the elevator - including debarkation. The poster did have a point about the chef, but it was actually humorous in a way. He said they give him no budget for any of the fee or free demonstrations, which is not good. He too, though, was very nice.

Anyway, on a large ship different people can experience different things. On an April 2009 cruise on Celebrity Solstice, we hated how they crammed us into the dining room on what they called a table for 4 that was actually a table for 10, but I've never seen anyone else complain about it.

Finally, the ship had no more vibration than any of the other 18 cruises I have been on.[/QUOTE]

Your last line is the most important one on this thread as I have a family cruise planned on the Eurodam in March and was starting to get a little concerned about some of the "bad vibration" posts I've read. I have been on the Solstice a couple of times too and never felt any vibrations other than normal. Glad you feel the Eurodam is the same.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I remember a Lido/dining steward who named himself, John Wayne. :D[/B][/quote]
We had a Lido waiter who called himself Imade Somtosa. Think about it. He got a lot of laughs with that one.:)

[quote name='drtee']At a certain age, and I think 16 would qualify, people should be held accountable. Battery is a legitimate complaint. (Now, I'm assuming this was an assault and not two people scuffling).[/quote]

Holding a 16 year old "accountable" is one thing. But a lawsuit - really?

I am sorry to hear that your cruise didn't measure up to how you hoped it would go!

I need to know more about the fight... your boy thumped that kid back right? Some drunk swining on you, bashing your eye black, that DEMANDS a thumping back! One of the easiest fights to win as balance, reaction and coordination is SHOT by alcohol! :D

PLEASE tell me that your boy was also sporting too bruised hands from introducing that punk's nogging to your son's fists! Please don't tell me your boy didn't just take the licking w/o getting his licks back.

Derek

Holding a 16 year old "accountable" is one thing. But a lawsuit - really?

Well, it's actually a criminal offense, but since nobody did anything involving police work, a suit is justifiable. I'm not one to sue people over just anything, and in fact I've never sued anyone and hope not to. But an eye injury is potentially quite serious. It all depends on what the extent of the injury was and if the OP seeks some kind of resolution. I would have handled it differently, as in giving the parents and the kid a good lecture with my finger wagging!

I am sorry to hear that your cruise didn't measure up to how you hoped it would go!

I need to know more about the fight... your boy thumped that kid back right? Some drunk swining on you, bashing your eye black, that DEMANDS a thumping back! One of the easiest fights to win as balance, reaction and coordination is SHOT by alcohol! :D

PLEASE tell me that your boy was also sporting too bruised hands from introducing that punk's nogging to your son's fists! Please don't tell me your boy didn't just take the licking w/o getting his licks back.

Derek

Hi Derek,

Well no, my son didn't hit the kid back, and I was proud of him for his restraint. I would never think about suing--the thought never crossed my mind. I was annoyed because i feel that security should have been more insistent that this young man not be allowed in public areas for the rest of the cruise. That didn't happen.

As far as underage drinking on the ship. We saw underage kids being served drinks. It happens, whether in the room, or on the ship; and yes it comes down to parenting. Sometimes I think that parents forget they have a responsibility when they travel with their kids--particurlarly when on a ship, it's pretty safe for kids to roam around. In our stateroom, we asked that the room steward remove the mini bar, so we could put our water in the fridge, and not get anything mixed up with the items in the mini-bar.

Right after the incident, I asked the security person to show me the tapes of the public areas from the cameras onboard. He wouldn't, saying the kids should work it out. Personally, I feel that he didn't want to deal with the incident. it's hard to reason with a drunk.

I know that there were people on our same voyage that didn't recognize my post as being on the same trip, and to those, I'm glad that my fellow cruisers enjoyed the cruise.

And finally, thanks to everyone for their input. I did sent a letter to HAL's guest relations department outlining our experience. Although i wouldn't travel on HAL again, I know that many people enjoy this cruise line.

Bottom line is that even the worst cruise day is better than the best day at work!

Hi Derek,

Well no, my son didn't hit the kid back, and I was proud of him for his restraint. I would never think about suing--the thought never crossed my mind. I was annoyed because i feel that security should have been more insistent that this young man not be allowed in public areas for the rest of the cruise. That didn't happen.

As far as underage drinking on the ship. We saw underage kids being served drinks. It happens, whether in the room, or on the ship; and yes it comes down to parenting. Sometimes I think that parents forget they have a responsibility when they travel with their kids--particurlarly when on a ship, it's pretty safe for kids to roam around. In our stateroom, we asked that the room steward remove the mini bar, so we could put our water in the fridge, and not get anything mixed up with the items in the mini-bar.

Right after the incident, I asked the security person to show me the tapes of the public areas from the cameras onboard. He wouldn't, saying the kids should work it out. Personally, I feel that he didn't want to deal with the incident. it's hard to reason with a drunk.

I know that there were people on our same voyage that didn't recognize my post as being on the same trip, and to those, I'm glad that my fellow cruisers enjoyed the cruise.

And finally, thanks to everyone for their input. I did sent a letter to HAL's guest relations department outlining our experience. Although i wouldn't travel on HAL again, I know that many people enjoy this cruise line.

Bottom line is that even the worst cruise day is better than the best day at work!

Being the Cromag that I am I was HOPING you were going to say your boy had hands swollen up like Daisy hams from the return thumping! But, I am a cromag.

I truly am sorry that your cruise wasn't all you hoped it was going to be! All the hopes, the $, and a sour experience.

You're right about some parents on board, unfortunately they believe that since it is their vacation they are relieved of parental responsibilities WHILE their larvae is on board with them! I mean really? I need to suffer while your hellion runs about, acts up, and causes all sorts of chaos? Let that demon get near me, I'll take one for the team and adminster a spanking! Somebody gotta do something!

Honesetly, we don't even crusie when it is "break" times any longer because of that reason, and it isn't because it is every child/'tween/teen but the few (say 1-3% of the children on board) just ruin it. Our youngest is 16, there'd be no way I'd let Spudly act up and she knows that. Our oldest is 20, L2 would never dream of being a public nuisance!

Again, I'm sorry your holiday cruise was only a holiday once you were done.

Derek

I need to express what a complete disappointment our first (and last) Holland America cruise was on the Eurodam. We just returned from a seven day voyage from December 17-24, 2011. We had eleven people in our party, and my husband, my 18 year old son and myself in our room—which was a superior verandah.

The good: the food was for the most part, delicious. The balconies were large, and had comfortable seating. .

The bad: Where to start? The first day, I couldn’t find our cabin steward. I called the front desk, and they said they would page him to come to our room. I waited for about two hours, and he still never showed up. Finally, that evening I met him, but to this day still don’t know his name. His nametag didn’t have it on it, and there was definitely a language barrier between us.

The language barrier continued when we went the Explorers Café to buy a beverage card. The person behind the counter either couldn't understand us, or didn't listen. We asked for two $50 cards. She sold us a $250 card, which I declined to purchase. She had to credit our account, and then sold us what I asked for, after she had to call her manager, to find out how to issue a credit.

On HAL they are big on the word, “unfortunately.” This doesn’t bode well with me. I want to hear, of course, yes we can… When staff members don’t know something, instead of finding out, they make something up. As customers, we rely on their “expertise,” but after a few times getting burnt, we realized that there wasn’t any expertise…not even from mangers. That was VERY disappointing.

We also went to sign up for cooking classes on the first day. When I called the front desk, they told me to go to the culinary center. My sister-in-law, her son, and I went down there at 12:30 pm., and we were told to come back at 2:00 pm., which we did. Well, that’s not where you sign up for classes, it’s at the front desk. Since we waited, we were shut out of the class that we really wanted, and I got to hear “unfortunately.”

A note about the culinary center: The entire time the chef was cooking, he kept talking about how he had to scrounge around to procure the ingredients for his demonstrations; from the dining rooms, room service, etc. It wasn’t equipped with the utensils that he wanted to use, and there was a lot of “making due” with what he could find. If I was with the Food and Wine magazine, I would hesitate to put my name alongside of the culinary center, as a sponsor.

One night, my son ordered room service, and it didn’t come for 3.5 hours. We called after an hour, and the room service representative told us it was on the way. After 2.5 hours, my son called and cancelled the order, and then it arrived an hour later. Really....does it take that long?

On Christmas day, we went to high tea in the Tamarind, and were basically ignored by the servers. We watched as tables turned over before we were served, after my brother went and said something to the manager.

Here’s the kicker…my husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, and went for the vow renewal package. The first day, when we signed up for our cooking class (which was cooking breakfast) at the front desk, the front desk clerk asked me how I would like our names on the certificate, which would be signed by the captain. Our last name is a bit tricky, so I wrote out both our first and last names. First off, they couldn’t tell me when the ceremony would be; and when they did, it was at the same time that we had dinner reservations in the Pinnacle Grille. So they changed it to the second sea day at 6:00 pm., and the day before we came back to Ft. Lauderdale. When we got our certificate, my husband’s name was misspelled. His name is Joe, and they spelled it, Jo. When I said something to the party planner, she said it was too late to have the captain re-sign it, so we’d have to keep what we had.

The ugly: Day three, my son, and some of his new friends were on the lido deck, and there was a drunk young man (underage) in the hot tub. He was with other people, so my son’s group continued on with what they were doing (eating). When they left the lido deck and got in the elevator, this drunk 16 year old, got in the elevator with them, and started pushing buttons. My son wanted to get off, and get someone from security to help, so he was on his way down to deck one. The drunk kid was belligerent, and so my son got off on two to walk down the flight of stairs. The drunk kid followed him, and punched him in the face. Security did very little, and told the kids to work it out. The mother of the young man, promised to keep her son in their cabin for the duration of the trip….but she didn’t. For the rest of the cruise, my son had a black eye.

From what we saw, there was a lot of underage drinking on the ship. Parents didn’t really control their children, and seemed glad that they were allowed to run around, and do whatever they chose to do. A ship is for the most part, as safe place for kids to roam, but not when they are drinking. The bartenders were clearly serving drinks to anyone who had the money (or card) to buy them, and security turned a blind eye on this problem.

And finally, the cookbook fiasco. While on board, I bought three cookbooks. There is a discount of about $20 if you buy three at once. I also had a coupon that HAL gave us in their coupon book for 10% off of the cookbooks. When I tried to use their coupon that didn’t have any restrictions on it, I was told “no” that I couldn’t use it, it was per cookbooks. When I showed the coupon to the girl in the Explorations Cafe that the coupons said "Cookbook(s)" which meants more than one, she all of a sudden didn't understand what I was saying. I bought it in the Explorations café, and didn’t want to argue with the same girl who sold us the wrong beverage card on the first day, so I went to the front desk. “Jane” was the manager, and she had me bring her three different coupons for the cookbooks. She promised me the discount would show up on our final bill—but it didn’t. We’re talking $7 here—it’s a lot of aggravation for $7. HAL shouldn’t issue coupons and hand them out if they don’t want customers to use them.

The bottom line is that the cruise ship is nice, food delicious, but there are too many issues with the staff. And to use the HAL word, “unfortunately” as cruisers, we have to constantly deal with the staff, who for the most part, shouldn’t be there, or they should have better training before assuming their roles. It's not okay to make something up, because you don't have the right answer, etc. There is a huge language barrier in terms of English, and they aren’t empowered to make any decisions. We had “My time” dinning, and that worked if we would have dinner when they could fit us in. It was okay, if we could do it on their time…not ours.

I'm sure that some of the cruisers on our trip, wouldn't recognize that we were on the same voyage....and I hope that's the case. We spent a lot of money for our vacation, and expected the same experience that we've had with other cruise lines. That didn't happen.

We’ve been on several cruises prior to HAL, and I don’t want to have a vacation that causes us this much aggravation. It's like HAL is the bottom feeder of cruise lines. Never again.

HI--FIRST OF ALL IIWANT TO SAY HOW SORRY WE -- MY HUSBAND AND I ARE FOR YOUR TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. WE TOO WILL NEVER SAIL HOLLAND/AMERICAN---WE WERE CALLED BY THEIR REP--BECAUSE HE NOTED WE SAILED SO MANY TIMES WITH CARNIVAL--WE SHOULD TRY THEIR SHIP. WELL IT WAS A PRICE WE COUNDT SAY--NO. THE WESTENDAM--FROM--FT-LAUDERDALE----THE SHIP WAS BEAUTIFUL--FOOD WAS GOOD---THE CABIN WAS MUCH SMALLER THEN CARNIVAL--AND WE HAD A BALCONY. AND ALTHO WE ARE SENIORS--WE ARE NOT DEAD---EVERYONE ON THE SHIP--WERE JUST WAITING AT THE DOOR---FOR--ST.PETER---THE DINING RM STAFF---DIDNT SEEM TO CARE--AND THE STEWARD ALSO--NO MUSIC----AND I TRULY FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR SON. TRY CARNIVAL--YOU WONT BE SORRY--CALL DIRECT--i AGREE--NOONE ON THE SHIP SEEMED TO CARE ABOUT THE PASSENGERS. THE FEELING WE GOT--WAS-----WHO CARES. SO GOOD LUCK IN FUTURE SAILING---WE HAVE HAD 49 CRUISES ON CARNIVAL--SO YOU CAN SEE WHERE WE ENJOY THE SAILING------JUGGER----IRENE AND JOHN JOYCE

find HAL ships a bit stuffy and HAL cruisers really don't go for all the Carnival activities. The demographic is quite different. I don't think the balcony cabins on HAL are smaller, seem quite the same except on HAL there's a tub in the bathroom.

HI--FIRST OF ALL IIWANT TO SAY HOW SORRY WE -- MY HUSBAND AND I ARE FOR YOUR TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. WE TOO WILL NEVER SAIL HOLLAND/AMERICAN---WE WERE CALLED BY THEIR REP--BECAUSE HE NOTED WE SAILED SO MANY TIMES WITH CARNIVAL--WE SHOULD TRY THEIR SHIP. WELL IT WAS A PRICE WE COUNDT SAY--NO. THE WESTENDAM--FROM--FT-LAUDERDALE----THE SHIP WAS BEAUTIFUL--FOOD WAS GOOD---THE CABIN WAS MUCH SMALLER THEN CARNIVAL--AND WE HAD A BALCONY. AND ALTHO WE ARE SENIORS--WE ARE NOT DEAD---EVERYONE ON THE SHIP--WERE JUST WAITING AT THE DOOR---FOR--ST.PETER---THE DINING RM STAFF---DIDNT SEEM TO CARE--AND THE STEWARD ALSO--NO MUSIC----AND I TRULY FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR SON. TRY CARNIVAL--YOU WONT BE SORRY--CALL DIRECT--i AGREE--NOONE ON THE SHIP SEEMED TO CARE ABOUT THE PASSENGERS. THE FEELING WE GOT--WAS-----WHO CARES. SO GOOD LUCK IN FUTURE SAILING---WE HAVE HAD 49 CRUISES ON CARNIVAL--SO YOU CAN SEE WHERE WE ENJOY THE SAILING------JUGGER----IRENE AND JOHN JOYCE[/quoteTHERE IS ONE THING I WANT TO ADD------CALL HOLLAND/AMERICAN--ASK FOR BILL KAUFMAN, REP--TELL HIM YOUR STORY--AND SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO FOR YOU---IRENE

just goes to show how out of touch i am.:d it would never occur to me to create a lawsuit over a black eye. Boy, did my folks miss out on some easy money!;)

hi---regarding this sad story-----is it not the object of creating a law suit over a black eye-------it is the fact that the ship's security was very lacks---and the kid should not have been drinking--so get your thought straight-----jugger

just goes to show how out of touch i am.:d it would never occur to me to create a lawsuit over a black eye. Boy, did my folks miss out on some easy money!;)

jummy--get your thoughts straight----this kid should not have been drinking---underage drinking------the law suit is trivial---should teach them a lesson----and eating the hot tub---no security-----where are the top officials checking---irene and john joyce

jummy--get your thoughts straight----this kid should not have been drinking---underage drinking------the law suit is trivial---should teach them a lesson----and eating the hot tub---no security-----where are the top officials checking---irene and john joyce

Someone ate the hot tub, now that I have to see :eek:.

HAL is a great cruise line. We like many things about it. But, we travel on a number of cruise lines-we are not married to HAL.

I have no doubt that you can have an unsatisfactory cruise on HAL-just as you can on any other line. Cruising is a service business, and a good deal depends on the staff and management on each cruise. No doubt the ship was at capacity. HAL, like other cruise lines, have reduced staffing to the absolute minimum and this in all probability contributed to your challenges. Staff morale is never good when there are ongoing reductions and increasing workloads.

We were not on the ship, did not see any of the events, so it is impossible for us to comment or to make assumptions about your issues.

My hope is that HAL responds to you and, if necessary, they make the appropriate policy changes or enforcements so this does not happen to future cruisers.

Derek

It takes a bigger man to just walk away from a drunken idiot. The OP's son should be commended for showing maturity. Fighting to defend oneself is one thing, but fighting to "get even" is something else altogether.

As my mother used to put it---"Two wrongs do not make a right"

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Sorry that you had so many language issues on your cruise.

WOW -- that is awful what heppened to your son. I have a feeling I would have made it a much bigger issue had it been my son.

Happy 25th Anniversary -- hope your Renewal of Vows Ceremony turned out alright.

Just remember this is story her son told HER ,it may be different :D

OK - I'll try to get my thoughts straight. I do not recall endorsing underage drinking, but it is something that has always gone on. Law suits are not trivial and while it make give one satisfaction, will only hurts the kid's parents financially. It will make little, if any impact on the kid who threw the punch.

I am quite sure that I'll be in the minority here (and likely offend one of my favorite posters), but I learned many years ago that there is only one way to stop a bully. Turning the other cheek is no doubt the correct moral position, but I've never seen it solve the problem.

OK - I'll try to get my thoughts straight. I do not recall endorsing underage drinking, but it is something that has always gone on. Law suits are not trivial and while it make give one satisfaction, will only hurts the kid's parents financially. It will make little, if any impact on the kid who threw the punch.

I am quite sure that I'll be in the minority here (and likely offend one of my favorite posters), but I learned many years ago that there is only one way to stop a bully. Turning the other cheek is no doubt the correct moral position, but I've never seen it solve the problem.

Jimmy although you may be in the minority, you are not the only one who feels that way about stopping a bully. :D I'm with ya!

OP, truly sorry you had such an unpleasant cruise. Oosterdam is the only HAL ship I've cruised on thus far, and have always had pleasant experiences. I may give Eurodam a try one of these days if the price is right. Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Well, my husband commented about the vibrations several times during the week. This was only our second cruise so I just thought all cruise ships vibrated like that. It was not vibrating enough to be annoying.

We were on the Dec. 17 - 24 Eurodam as well, and we didn't think it was anywhere near one of our best ones, although it wasn't our worst either. Just kind of okay. Best thing: the on board cabanas! Can't say enough about those!!:D

We also didn't see or hear any of the drunkenness people are talking about, except for when the Pub Crawl came into the Piano Bar at the same time we were there. Yes, they were, shall we say "lively", but they all seemed to be having good fun. A Ship's Officer was also with them as their host/guide. They claim he was drinking what they were, but who knows? They had some kind of game where they had to finish their drinks before that Officer, so maybe his drinks aren't really made with alcohol, just made to look like they are? That would be a lot of booze to drink and yet have to lead that large of a group and make sure they keep the group in check. But again, who knows?

And the vibrations? Besides in the main show lounge, we really felt it in the aft of the MDR when docked in San Juan. It felt way worse than being on the NYC subway. But other than that, we really didn't feel it at all. We found the food in the MDR having a lot of weird spices and/or sauces on it, even when requesting things plain. Mind you, that's also personal taste. We also complained about uncooked eggs up on Lido (we were told weren't fresh eggs, but made from a liquid mix and weren't cooked fully that morning...YUCK!). And the cabins need better a/c...BIG TIME!

Also, unless you like news or are a sports nut and like to see the same games over and over again, forget TV. Even the TV listings were wrong. I know some will ask "who goes on a cruise to watch TV?", but sometimes we like to just "gel" in our cabin or watch it while getting ready to go out. It would also be nice if they taped some of the shipboard activities and talks, and show them on your cabin TV, like they do on other lines. You wouldn't miss out on something when there is more than one thing going on you want to do and could even possibly help them sell more videos of that sailing. Of course, these are just our opinions.

Don't get me wrong, we still like HAL, and know they can do better. But after our last few with them, it will take a bit more than just a shipboard credit e-mail to get us back for our next one.

Archived