Gratuity /Service charge????

believer33323

I read on the NCL web site that the Gratuities are voluntary but they charge a 12.00 pd, pp "Service Charge". Could someone please explain the difference. Is this just a play on words or what? I am used to Royal Caribbean and prepaying for my gratuities.

What is expected on NCL??

I read on the NCL web site that the Gratuities are voluntary but they charge a 12.00 pd, pp "Service Charge". Could someone please explain the difference. Is this just a play on words or what? I am used to Royal Caribbean and prepaying for my gratuities.

Yes they are the same thing, service charge = gratuities...If you wish to pre pay them you can..

The daily service charge covers gratuities for cabin stewards and food servers and provides some money for all the "behind the scenes" staff. There is also an auto gratuity of 15% for bar service and drinks that come from the bar....that is on your bar tab. The Spa also has an auto gratuity. Many passengers tip above the daily service charge as the service allows.

From the NCL website (FAQs):

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Yep , same thing you are used to with RCCL;)

Yes they are the same thing, service charge = gratuities...If you wish to pre pay them you can..

I think th epre-pay is a good option for some. I did like this though... a couple of years ago when we went on Independence Of The Seas with RCI, we had envelopes to put gratuities into. It was good becase we could give a bit extra where we really felt specific people went above and beyond expectations. I felt that was good...

Has anyone found they could do this on NCL? I prefer it to a set amount per day per person carte blanche (I'm NOT saying the staff teams are not worth it, it's just I did appreciate the envelopes option for the reasons above)

This is the statement I received from the NCL web site which threw me off. It explains them as two different things.

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent.

If i remember correctly, that was already on the bill, when I signed it. And while in port there was also tax added

Pretty much means you don't have to concern yourself with tipping unless you want to tip "Extra" for what you feel is exceptional service.

with RCI, we had envelopes to put gratuities into. It was good becase we could give a bit extra where we really felt specific people went above and beyond expectations. I felt that was good...

Has anyone found they could do this on NCL? I prefer it to a set amount per day per person carte blanche (I'm NOT saying the staff teams are not worth it, it's just I did appreciate the envelopes option for the reasons above)

Yes, you can hand off 'extra' tips to those whom you feel went above & beyond. Some who dine in speciality restaurants leave a tip at the table after eating as well.

I usually just give a little more to my room stewards, but I ofthen have interacted with them. I don't dine specialty, but I did use spa massage services. I didn't go above the added 18% charge for the massage.

If you look at it as gratuities are earmarked for specific employees and a service charge is split among many employees it makes it a little easier to understand.

If you look at it as gratuities are earmarked for specific employees and a service charge is split among many employees it makes it a little easier to understand.

I just HAVE to ask...

Can you reference somewhere that NCL . . . not Cruise Critic posters, but NCL . . . has published information that indicated that Service Charges are "split among many employees"?

According to NCL's website: "Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports." This indicates that the Service Charge "supports" the employee's salary and incentive programs. I see nothing to support the concept that it is treated like a tip pool.

I just HAVE to ask...

Can you reference somewhere that NCL . . . not Cruise Critic posters, but NCL . . . has published information that indicated that Service Charges are "split among many employees"?

According to NCL's website: "Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports." This indicates that the Service Charge "supports" the employee's salary and incentive programs. I see nothing to support the concept that it is treated like a tip pool.

The fact that NCL does not provide a formula (i.e. so many dollars per day goes to the room steward, waiter, assistant waiter, etc.) as the two largest lines, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, do is the first indication that the service charge money is pooled.

The second indication is the reference to incentive programs...again unspecified as to amount and method of distribution, or even definition of the words "incentive programs".

I just HAVE to ask...

"Split" can mean any number of things and NCL's website is in keeping with how I was using it. The bottom line is anyway you slice it, tips or service charges, it represents the crews' income.

The fact that NCL does not provide a formula (i.e. so many dollars per day goes to the room steward, waiter, assistant waiter, etc.) as the two largest lines, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, do is the first indication that the service charge money is pooled.

The second indication is the reference to incentive programs...again unspecified as to amount and method of distribution, or even definition of the words "incentive programs".

I was told that filling out a STYLE card or providing some other written feedback is taken into consideration, as far as what percentage of the service charge goes to different employees...

I'm new at NCL but when I get the tipping envelopes on RCCL there are 4.

1. cabin steward

2. head waiter

3. asst. waiter

4. waiter

My understanding is that the dining is different on NCL so I do not have the same specific waiter team each night as on RCCL. Is this correct. If it is, then I guess that is the reason it splits differently.

I'm new at NCL but when I get the tipping envelopes on RCCL there are 4.

1. cabin steward

2. head waiter

3. asst. waiter

4. waiter

My understanding is that the dining is different on NCL so I do not have the same specific waiter team each night as on RCCL. Is this correct. If it is, then I guess that is the reason it splits differently.

That is correct and that's one of the main reasons NCL has a DSC.

The DSC is divvied up and distributed to everyone who depends on it for their pay. You are not expected to produce any more money than the 12$/day for the DSC. The crew is happy with the system. You don't need the envelopes. You will not find a happier nor better crew on another line.

You can go right to the desk and ask for the envelopes on NCL as well. I have also handed the money right to certain people at the time if I felt it appropriate.

I like the envelopes thing (but I appreciate it's not for everyone and I guess that NCL are offering them like RCI do as a choice for their guests)

I always like to recognise good service so it's good to know they can accept such recognition directly too.

I usually just give a little more to my room stewards, but I ofthen have interacted with them.

I agree with that. I have always found they do such a grand job, and especially if they have a sense of humour and look after you, then I always think they deserve a bit extra. It's not like they earn a big basic salary is it!

Archived