My public letter to Royal: why do you keep pushing me away?

lawgirl

Wow - 9 pages in 2 days. The OP must have touched a nerve!

Just a few quick points:

* Reward Programs: If RCI moves the carrot again, loyalty will certainly suffer. Suggestion for RCI from the peanut gallery: Consider grandfathering prior status and let attrition work its magic the next time the carrot is moved.

* (Mis-)Behavior: Perhaps a lift-ticket approach could work for behavior problems. Staff & Security carry a unique-shaped punch. Really bad behavior (kids OR adults) results in a punch to the SeaPass card. After "N" punches, you get to swim home. ;)

* Celebrity: Cruising on Celebrity with Elite Status (which you get with RCI Diamond status) has great perks - IMHO much better than RCI Diamond perks.

While you seem to be polite and understanding, there are very many mobility-impaired passengers (especially on the Explorer in the winter season) who need their wheelchairs and scooters to move around the ship.

Unfortunately, many of these people are not as polite as you and zoom right to the front of the elevator, ride right in, and don't let anybody else on -- even though there were many people waiting for the elevator before they arrived.

It's not just the rude kids on a given cruise who monopolize the elevators. It's also the older crowd confined to scooters, who seem to feel this sense of entitlement just because they are mobility-impaired.

I agree, being in a scooter or wheelchair should not entitle a person to priority boarding of elevators. They should wait in line like everyone else. Many people have "hidden" disabilities and conditions that require them to use elevators. As I mentioned earlier, I need the elevator up just as much as they do, as I can't do more than a flight or two of stairs. One of my friends has MS and might look perfectly healthy, but she has balance issues and can't do stairs. People should board elevators in the order that they arrived--that goes for kids in strollers, people in wheelchairs, people with hidden disabilities, and the able bodied.

I have been holding this in and just have to get it out to my fellow CC posters (with full knowledge that I will be lambasted by some of you).

I have been loyal to Royal despite their every attempt to alienate my kind: a childless couple who want a nice cruise and the benefits of repeat customer appreciation.

You see, DH and I don't have children and don't particularly want to have tons of kids on our vacation. Yet, we like to cruise and can't afford to book ultra luxury or adults only cruises.

Yes, there are very well behaved children out there. But even those of you who parent such children must admit that there are also numerous kids whose parents let them run amuck on a cruise.

So we follow the rules: we take long itineraries on the off season, avoiding Holidays, etc. (except for the upcoming Allure trip, which I am doing just to see the ship). We go to the solarium, choose late seating, go to only late night shows.

Even so... There was the cruise where the kid cannonballed into the HOT TUB knocking over my $8 drink while dad told him he was cute. The kid who threw ice down from above while I was on my balcony. The one who thought it was fun to run back and forth between his inside cabin and his parents balcony room slamming doors. (yes, his parents left two elementary aged kids alone in the inside cabin while they enjoyed the balcony cabin).U

So, we book suites... At least we get some quiet time in the Conceirge Lounge. No more as most of you know. Yes, I like the free drinks. But not as much as I like (or used to like) having grown-up conversations. A place where we met the same adults every night to make new friends, where they had my favorite cocktail waiting...without worrying about kids running around . It is just a different atmosphere without kids.

Here's my main point AND my weariness with Royal. I play by your Rules. When booking a cruise, I don't shop Princess or NCI, I go to Royal. Why? I like your product, but you also lured me in with your programs and insincere promises of benefits. So if I am loyal, why do you keep changing your rules?

First, I buy stock because I get a shareholders discount. Whoops, sorry we are changing that rule so you can't combine it with other discounts and it is now worthless (except for the stock which plummeted).

Next, I reach Diamond only in time to have the Conceierge Privileges taken away.

Now, We are close to D+... Too bad, we're making your nightly respite cocktail hour into a family friendly soda fest.

So my years of loyalty, my tens of thousands of vacation dollars devoted to Royal mean this little.

Here's the thing.. I can't instantly become Diamond or Diamond Plus. It takes years, so when making my choice of cruiselines, i HAVE to rely upon what yoy say your benefits are. I booked all these cruises based upon what I expected to get in return. It is unfair to keep changing these rules. You suck me in, then water down your benefits.

Yes, I can start over with some other line and I will start shopping around. But what a shame - what a spit in the face to loyal customers - that I should have to do so.

When will they stop changing the Rules and realize that it takes all types (including us with no kids) to fill a ship.

OK, start lambasting me....

All valid points....

I have been holding this in and just have to get it out to my fellow CC posters (with full knowledge that I will be lambasted by some of you).

I have been loyal to Royal despite their every attempt to alienate my kind: a childless couple who want a nice cruise and the benefits of repeat customer appreciation.

You see, DH and I don't have children and don't particularly want to have tons of kids on our vacation. Yet, we like to cruise and can't afford to book ultra luxury or adults only cruises.

Yes, there are very well behaved children out there. But even those of you who parent such children must admit that there are also numerous kids whose parents let them run amuck on a cruise.

So we follow the rules: we take long itineraries on the off season, avoiding Holidays, etc. (except for the upcoming Allure trip, which I am doing just to see the ship). We go to the solarium, choose late seating, go to only late night shows.

Even so... There was the cruise where the kid cannonballed into the HOT TUB knocking over my $8 drink while dad told him he was cute. The kid who threw ice down from above while I was on my balcony. The one who thought it was fun to run back and forth between his inside cabin and his parents balcony room slamming doors. (yes, his parents left two elementary aged kids alone in the inside cabin while they enjoyed the balcony cabin).U

So, we book suites... At least we get some quiet time in the Conceirge Lounge. No more as most of you know. Yes, I like the free drinks. But not as much as I like (or used to like) having grown-up conversations. A place where we met the same adults every night to make new friends, where they had my favorite cocktail waiting...without worrying about kids running around . It is just a different atmosphere without kids.

Here's my main point AND my weariness with Royal. I play by your Rules. When booking a cruise, I don't shop Princess or NCI, I go to Royal. Why? I like your product, but you also lured me in with your programs and insincere promises of benefits. So if I am loyal, why do you keep changing your rules?

First, I buy stock because I get a shareholders discount. Whoops, sorry we are changing that rule so you can't combine it with other discounts and it is now worthless (except for the stock which plummeted).

Next, I reach Diamond only in time to have the Conceierge Privileges taken away.

Now, We are close to D+... Too bad, we're making your nightly respite cocktail hour into a family friendly soda fest.

So my years of loyalty, my tens of thousands of vacation dollars devoted to Royal mean this little.

Here's the thing.. I can't instantly become Diamond or Diamond Plus. It takes years, so when making my choice of cruiselines, i HAVE to rely upon what yoy say your benefits are. I booked all these cruises based upon what I expected to get in return. It is unfair to keep changing these rules. You suck me in, then water down your benefits.

Yes, I can start over with some other line and I will start shopping around. But what a shame - what a spit in the face to loyal customers - that I should have to do so.

When will they stop changing the Rules and realize that it takes all types (including us with no kids) to fill a ship.

OK, start lambasting me....

Our children have been cruising since they were 13 and 3 years old, and I am proud to brag that they have never acted like the unruely ones we have all seen onboard. Whenever we saw some kid misbehaving (usually within minutes of first boarding the ship), I would point it out and say "If I EVER see you act like that on this trip, you WILL be confined to our cabin, or on a leash! And trust me, they got the point.

That being said, I completely agree with what your letter says. So much so that I have actually quit using my RCCL BofA points VISA card for my spending and replaced it with a Sea Miles points VISA from Chase. That way I can use my points on whichever cruise line has the best deal for the itinerary I want at the time of booking.

Prior to our recent Majesty cruise, I was a staunch supporter of RCCL. Sadly, I just can't say that anymore.

Sorry to hijack this thread away from the OP. But, as there is a lot of talk about elevator etiquette and young children, I was hoping for some sage advice from our learned posters. Let's say that I am on deck 5 and am wanting to take my two-and-a-half year old toddler to the Nursery on deck 14 for the evening. (After all, it is formal night and I wouldn't think of bringing a toddler to dinner in a specialty restaurant. That could be considered rude, even if dining before 7 pm).

So, as we arrive at the elevator bank, for whatever reason, my 2 and half-year-old toddler suddenly becomes enamored with pushing the 14th floor button once we get on the elevator (probably because it glows once pushed, who knows). In order to do so, this would require me to position myself near the buttons and pick my toddler up off the floor so that he can push the button for floor 14.

Here is my hobson choice. Do I go through the effort to make this happen and rudely intrude on my fellow passengers in the process? Or, do I firmly tell my toddler "no" and try to reason with him. . . . but then have him resort to an elongated, drawn out temper tantrum for the entire 10 deck trip up to deck 14? (Sadly, temper tantrums do happen with toddlers).

I must confess that I am having some difficulty with this quandry. Because, on the one hand, I want to be a good, disciplining parent and want to teach my child toddler proper manners. Everyone is dressed up for a wonderful evening and the last thing I want to do is make them late for dinner, even if we are only talking about a handful of seconds. On the other hand, I want to avoid the very high potential for greater rudeness to my fellow passengers because, sadly, temper tantrums from a toddler going through the terrible two is quite inevitible. Riding 10 floors on an elevator with a screaming child can be quite uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Now, I know that I could always just avoid booking the cruise with my toddler in the first place, so as to avoid any potential rudeness; but, I was curious what some of our more enlightened posters might suggest would be the most appropriate way to get my toddler to the nursery in this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, wasn't sure if this was a joke or not.

When a child needs to be disciplined, do it at that very moment. In the first place he or she should not have the opportunity to play with the elevator buttons in the first place, no matter where you are going.

Next time, try leaving a little earlier to avoid the hassles:).

I am childless too but luckily the ships are so huge that I usually don't encounter issues that I can't just walk away from. Personally, I am there for the shore excursions anyway, the beauty and activities of the ship are just a plus. I am not a lay by the pool kind of person and that seems to be where many of the kids end up, so maybe I am just lucky. I am happy just sitting on my balcony and watching the waves, I am on vacation.

I do think RC employees should enforce the rules of the ship they set up and far too frequently I see guests enforcing them instead (like if a kid is running around alone or someone is seat hogging).

Personally, I go to RC because it's my favorite. Been on Carnival, Disney, and Princess too, definitely like RC the best with Disney in second place (I want to see their new ship, but they are kind of expensive and of course there are tons of kids). I don't go with them because of Crown & Anchor, so to me that's just a little added perk. Though I can see someone's frustration if they have been adding up points to try to get certain perks...

Dear Lawgirl,

I think you may find that your RCCL past guest privledges will transfer to the CELEBRITY line. You might find that line more appealing to your preferences at this time in your life. It would not hurt to call CELEBRITY and see if you can get set up with a PAST GUEST account with reciprocal privileges based on your current RCCL level.

I am a diamond member and have almost exclusively cruised on RCCI. My main issue with RCCI's approach to their loyalty program is it's lost it's value due to sheer volumes of people reaching the status levels (so now Diamond members can't use the Concierge Club--), and they allow suite guests access--so instead rewarding how much people spend on any given cruise, rather than reward those who are return customers. In any event, this has not changed the fact that I like cruising on RCCI, and I don't cruise RCCI because of the benefits. And, I can honestly say that while I have encountered cruises with some ill behaved children, by far the worst cruises I experienced were a 10 day Panama Canal, and a 5 day "spring break" cruise, where many of the "seniors" as well as the "young adults" were the rudest I had ever encountered. I don't know that there is any vacation where you can avoid rude or ill behaved people, unless you find a private island somewhere, and with about 3000 people on any given ship, you are bound to encounter some along the way.....young and old alike :mad:

* (Mis-)Behavior: Perhaps a lift-ticket approach could work for behavior problems. Staff & Security carry a unique-shaped punch. Really bad behavior (kids OR adults) results in a punch to the SeaPass card. After "N" punches, you get to swim home. ;)

This idea really has merit!!!! LOL

Doesn't mass market mean something that appeals to everyone?

I understand that RCI doesn't always enforce its own rules because of concern that it might ofend a passenger. I have long thought and frequently posted that if the rules were consistently and politely enforced that no one woud be offended. Such as "I am sorry but there are no children under sixteen allowed in the Solarium since it is an adult area. Children are welcomed on at the .... We try to have facilities geared to all age groups." Or even "Children of Suite guests and D+ members are welcome in the Concierge Lounge. For the comfort of our other guests, please keep your children with you at all times."

Vicki,

You missed it.

A Chevrolet is Mass Market as it appeals to the Masses. Not to everyone.

A Ferrari appeals to just as many people (or more), but it is decidedly not Mass Market.

Cruise Lines DO NOT decide to avoid enforcing the rules as it might offend a passenger.

It is the crew and staff who have become afraid to try to enforce the rules as a result of the violent and nasty reactions we are getting from the mass market cruisers today. More and more often, we see a request to follow the rules met with a punch, a push, or a wild story from the misbehaving passenger who is trying to get the crewmember fired for trying to enforce the rules. Most crew today are not willing to risk their jobs in order to convince someone raised by wolves to behave properly.

Also, I'd have to agree that it isn't JUST the kids. If you read "The Attack of the AARPS" section in my Norwegian Gem review, you'll see what I mean.

OMG I am still reading your review but you have me rolling over here with your review. "Game, set and match to the Medicare set on that one." OMG that is priceless!!!!:D

Sorry to hijack this thread away from the OP. But, as there is a lot of talk about elevator etiquette and young children, I was hoping for some sage advice from our learned posters. Let's say that I am on deck 5 and am wanting to take my two-and-a-half year old toddler to the Nursery on deck 14 for the evening. (After all, it is formal night and I wouldn't think of bringing a toddler to dinner in a specialty restaurant. That could be considered rude, even if dining before 7 pm).

So, as we arrive at the elevator bank, for whatever reason, my 2 and half-year-old toddler suddenly becomes enamored with pushing the 14th floor button once we get on the elevator (probably because it glows once pushed, who knows). In order to do so, this would require me to position myself near the buttons and pick my toddler up off the floor so that he can push the button for floor 14.

Here is my hobson choice. Do I go through the effort to make this happen and rudely intrude on my fellow passengers in the process? Or, do I firmly tell my toddler "no" and try to reason with him. . . . but then have him resort to an elongated, drawn out temper tantrum for the entire 10 deck trip up to deck 14? (Sadly, temper tantrums do happen with toddlers).

I must confess that I am having some difficulty with this quandry. Because, on the one hand, I want to be a good, disciplining parent and want to teach my child toddler proper manners. Everyone is dressed up for a wonderful evening and the last thing I want to do is make them late for dinner, even if we are only talking about a handful of seconds. On the other hand, I want to avoid the very high potential for greater rudeness to my fellow passengers because, sadly, temper tantrums from a toddler going through the terrible two is quite inevitible. Riding 10 floors on an elevator with a screaming child can be quite uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Now, I know that I could always just avoid booking the cruise with my toddler in the first place, so as to avoid any potential rudeness; but, I was curious what some of our more enlightened posters might suggest would be the most appropriate way to get my toddler to the nursery in this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Seriously? Can't you just tell him that pushing the button is for adults only? Or possibly telling him that he can push ONLY that one button even if he does it repeatedly? If that causes a melt-down and there are others in the elevator, just quietly step off at the next deck and give him a chance to cool down before getting on another elevator. Even toddlers can be taught proper behavior in public - honest.

Thanks in advance.

If you are willing to also press the other floors for other passengers and make sure your child doesn't press floors no one is going to, let him press 14. (This assumes no one is already standing by the buttons.) If there is already someone standing there, just tell him that he can't do it this time because someone is standing there, but maybe he can push it next time. I wouldn't judge a parent with a toddler having a melt down over being told no, but I'd sure judge one who let their kid walk all over them and everyone else around them. (Veruca Salt, anyone?) My opinion.

I am a diamond member and have almost exclusively cruised on RCCI. My main issue with RCCI's approach to their loyalty program is it's lost it's value due to sheer volumes of people reaching the status levels (so now Diamond members can't use the Concierge Club--), and they allow suite guests access--so instead rewarding how much people spend on any given cruise, rather than reward those who are return customers.

Remove yourself as consumer and what would you do if you were in the main office??

Remove yourself as consumer and what would you do if you were in the main office??

Here's a thought: In order to maintain your current level, you'd have to cruise at least seven nights every year or 12 nights every 18 months or something along those lines.

It would reward the really loyal guests and thin the herd a bit at the same time. Pattern it after the Hilton or Marriott Rewards program.

Thanks in advance.

Now the part in red is the best idea.

Now the part in red is the best idea.

I am glad your world is different than mine. I seriously hope you were not such a bother when you were a child because children seem to be nothing but a problem for you. Or even better did your parents leave you at home so you were out of the way?

I must say I take a completely different opinion on this. I am more of a stairs person but if someone is disabled for whatever reason they are more than welcome to go in front of me everytime. I dread the day I may be in that situation so for me to give up a spot on the elevator when I am perfectly capable of taking the stairs is fine by me. I can understand what your point was but it truly did not come across that way.

I will also stand back and let a disabled person go in the elevator before me. I have even asked others to wait and let someone in a scooter go in front of them.

I have seen disabled people waiting long periods of time for elevators, just like the rest of us.

I'm thankful I can still walk.

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 teen boys. You don't 'try to reason with him', you just tell him 'no', and that's that.

If you do this on a consistent basis, he'll eventually get the idea, sort of like training a puppy (and I have 2 of those as well). He'll still have the occasional tantrum, but not nearly as often as a toddler who gets his way all the time.

You asked.

I will also stand back and let a disabled person go in the elevator before me. I have even asked others to wait and let someone in a scooter go in front of them.

How did you know they didn't have hidden disabilities? If you wish to wait yourself, that's your choice. But why should someone with a hidden disability who can't take stairs have to take a backseat to someone in a wheelchair if the ambulatory person was there first? What gives you the right to control elevator access?

I don't disagree that what they are doing is probably best for RCCI financially, I just take objection with calling it a loyalty rewards program, and then really rewarding those who spend more, not those who are loyal.

I don't disagree that what they are doing is probably best for RCCI financially, I just take objection with calling it a loyalty rewards program, and then really rewarding those who spend more, not those who are loyal.

I swear-I'm not picking on you so please roll with me here for a bit:;)

How are they not rewarding those that are loyal but rewarding those who spend more??

How did you know they didn't have hidden disabilities? If you wish to wait yourself, that's your choice. But why should someone with a hidden disability who can't take stairs have to take a backseat to someone in a wheelchair if the ambulatory person was there first? What gives you the right to control elevator access?

Excuse me.........where did I say a person with a hidden disability should take a back seat to a wheelchair. Anyone with a disability, whether hidden or obvious, IMA, should get priority.

Geeeeesh, take 3 deep breaths and stop being so rude.

Archived