Smuggling Beer In Soda Box

jgmpuma

I've been on 3 great fun-filled Cruises and we have each put a 1.5ltr bottle of vodka in our checked luggage and we have never got caught yet....I think its a law of averages, the more you do it the more you might get caught!!

I am planning to leave out of New Orleans for the first time, fingers crossed we will get lucky this time around too!!!

I agree with Teechur.....those of us the do "smuggle" are not crazy, rowdy, nut-jobs....its just nice to save a little money and still have a good time.

This from a teacher, someone parents trust to educate their children. People who are basically educating our youth to be tomorrow's future. Those that should lead by example. Those that say "It is an arbitrary "rule" not a law."

Just off the Spirit today. Great trip to Mexico!!! Weather was spectacular!

My roll-aboard contained two 12 packs of soda, my one allowed wine bottle (full of Bacardi), a 32 oz. Powerade bottle, filled with...wait for it...Powerade:D, a bottle of water, socks, underwear, bathing suit, etc. My checked bag had two 8 oz. water bottles filled with rum, a couple of 3 ouncers in my shaving kit, a plastic lime, clothes, snorkel gear, shoes, etc.

My roll-aboard went through the scanner, and was stopped. They wanted to measure my pocketknife inside...it was fine. No one cared about the liquids! The 12-packs could have been beer! Suitcase was delivered, unopened. I had just hoped that SOME of it would survive the gauntlet.

All of this worry was over nothing!!!! :eek:

I carried at least half of the rum back home with me. My travel companion was "similarly equipped", and had the same result. I still had a sign-n-sail bill over $200.

If I had to buy drinks on-board, I would not drink as much...or cruise any more. The cruise lines DO understand this mind-set (it is common). If they prevent me from bringing my own, they will no longer get the $1000s I spend annually, traveling. As of now, I've visited more than 85 countries worldwide, most of them more than once. Only about 10 of those countries have been from cruise ships.

In spite of what the sanctimonious "board patrolmen" among you will say/think/criticize, most liquor smugglers like me, are not rowdy troublemakers. We quietly use common sense, spend our money prudently, enjoy our balcony libations, and EVERYONE WINS!;)

We are not talking "Midnight Express" here. It is an arbitrary "rule" not a law.:rolleyes:

Just my thoughts. Enjoy your travels!

From Carnival's Web Site:

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

<< Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. >>

:eek:

$20 bucks for a 24.. compared to over $100 for the same amount onbaord.. I beg to differ:rolleyes:

I hear ya:p

Well again to me its about volume and PITA vs reward. You'd have to smuggle on a 30-pack to even come close to being worth my time. That aint happinin without some serious James Bond stuff. If someone feels like they beat the man by smuggling on a 12 pack then good for you. See you at the blackjack table. :D

Gordie why are you always on the smuggling threads giving the guilt trip to people? Seriously! Find something more constructive to do like sitting on a bucket at traffic lights and righting down the license plate numbers of red light runners for the cops. BTW I HATE THEM so all good. :)

R

True, just rule-breakers and contract-negators, that's all.

Gordie, we lova ya, man, but you need to just let it go. Unless The cruise lines have appointed you Official Liquor Patrol, why don't you just relax and enjoy your cruise? :)

Do you also patrol movie theaters harassing patrons who have brought in illicit tootsie rolls?

Trying to smuggle anything and breaking the rules will just ruin it for everyone else who is trying to follow the rules.

I appreciate being allowed to carry on some water or soda pop, but when people start trying to disguise alcohol as these products, the cruise lines may just eliminate water and soda pop too.

In addition, I don't want them wasting time ripping open my box of Mt Dew or digging through my innocent luggage just in case I'm one of those people trying to scam the system. This slows down the process for everyone.

I am tired of being punished, or inconvenienced because of the acts of others.

Trying to smuggle anything and breaking the rules will just ruin it for everyone else who is trying to follow the rules.

I appreciate being allowed to carry on some water or soda pop, but when people start trying to disguise alcohol as these products, the cruise lines may just eliminate water and soda pop too.

In addition, I don't want them wasting time ripping open my box of Mt Dew or digging through my innocent luggage just in case I'm one of those people trying to scam the system. This slows down the process for everyone.

I am tired of being punished, or inconvenienced because of the acts of others.

BINGO, exactly.

Which smuggler will the next terrorist?

Liquid explosive-smuggling around the corner???

Liquid Chemical Explosives – What You Never Wanted to Know

"Dozens of alleged terrorists were recently arrested in Britain and Pakistan, accused of plotting to blow up as many as ten transatlantic airliners. Police report the terrorist plan was to blow up the planes using suicide bombers armed with liquid chemical bombs smuggled on board disguised as drinks."

http://www.efilmgroup.com/Liquid-Chemical-Explosives-What-You-Never-Wanted-to-Know.html

I'm really surprised that the cruise lines have been this tolerant. Also very surprised others have been condoning, promoting and participating in the behavior.

This is not a big deal, either way. Everyone here is an adult, and will deal with the (minimal) consequences if they choose to bring liquor on board and get caught. Carnival likes having customers and knows a certain percentage will do this, and makes its reaction intentionally mild. People are not turned away for bringing a six-pack of Coors. Although they should be, the stuff tastes terrible.

BINGO, exactly.

Which smuggler will the next terrorist?

Liquid explosive-smuggling around the corner???

Liquid Chemical Explosives – What You Never Wanted to Know

"Dozens of alleged terrorists were recently arrested in Britain and Pakistan, accused of plotting to blow up as many as ten transatlantic airliners. Police report the terrorist plan was to blow up the planes using suicide bombers armed with liquid chemical bombs smuggled on board disguised as drinks."

http://www.efilmgroup.com/Liquid-Chemical-Explosives-What-You-Never-Wanted-to-Know.html

I'm really surprised that the cruise lines have been this tolerant. Also very surprised others have been condoning, promoting and participating in the behavior.

I can see why you are concerned but believe me, my 64-year-old husband is NOT a terrorist, :eek: and I don't think him smuggling beer onto the ship isn't going to hurt anyone. And if he gets caught, I don't know him...:cool:

My DH has smuggled beer in his suitcase on every cruise we've been on and never been caught. However, on the last cruise (RCL) one of the cans punctured and leaked on the clothing around it. Thankfully it was only gym clothes and swimsuits so he rinsed them in the shower . . . but that one can of beer could have resulted in all of his clothes going to be laundered at a much greater cost! Not sure he will do that again . . or find something better to wrap it in.

My DH has smuggled beer in his suitcase on every cruise we've been on and never been caught. However, on the last cruise (RCL) one of the cans punctured and leaked on the clothing around it. Thankfully it was only gym clothes and swimsuits so he rinsed them in the shower . . . but that one can of beer could have resulted in all of his clothes going to be laundered at a much greater cost! Not sure he will do that again . . or find something better to wrap it in.

It happened to us, too, although it was Mountain Dew and not beer. Dh decided it would be easier to throw his 12 pack loose in his backpack for embarkation and not tote the actual box. Got on our shuttle to the pier and noticed liquid dripping from the bottom of the pack. One of the cans had sprung a leak and all of our electronics were in the backpack as well. Thankfully the ipod and camera were in their own cases that protected them and we got them out before more of it leaked.

Be careful with those cans!

Idle curiosity.... what kinds beer did he have in the suitcase? Something unavailable on the ship?

I would not try this.... When we sailed on the Fantasy back in April, we have two twelve-packs of soda (legit). They opened both cases and took ALL of the cans out when we went through security, and they were doing it to pretty much everyone. I would have died of embarrassment to get busted right there in front of everyone, not worth saving a few bucks in my opinion. :)

This from a teacher, someone parents trust to educate their children. People who are basically educating our youth to be tomorrow's future. Those that should lead by example. Those that say "It is an arbitrary "rule" not a law."

From Carnival's Web Site:

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

<< Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. >>

:eek:

Gordie,

Good to hear from you, homie!

Waaaaaay down in Steerage, we smuggle in order to enjoy a bit of the high life to which you "Celebrity snobs" are accustomed. If you had been aboard my recent Carnival cruise ("Wal-mart party tug", I believe you called it, on another thread), I would have nominated you for the "Hairy Chest Contest"! Of course, that could have been a tad awkward if you are, in fact, a woman:eek:. (Even more so, if you won!:D)

And yes, I have spent a lifetime molding tomorrow's future. That is why there are so many "moldy" youths among us!;)

Thanks for keeping things "lively" here at CC. I look forward to your many, many, pearls:mad: of wisdom!

Your friend, Teechur

BTW, I also speed on the highways! Neener, neener!!!:p

(Us po-folk DO know how to have our fun!)

Gordie......RELAX....I promise that I wont "make" you drink any of my smuggled booze, so it wont even matter to you one way or the other!!! Life is too short to worry about what rules everyone is breaking...I'm sure EVEN YOU break a few now and then!!!

Live Happy!!!

Archived