Smuggling Beer In Soda Box

jgmpuma

We will be leaving from New Orleans on the Conquest in a few weeks. I have a favorite beer that isn't sold on the ship. I will be buying lots of their beers on Lido, but would like to have a few of my favorites in reserve.

I have heard of people putting cans of beer in a soda 12-pack box. Does this work? It wouldn't be a huge loss if I get busted, but just curious.

I know about 5 people that tried it and all made it through but 1. They took his beer and even held it for him if he wanted it on his return. The xray machine will show the different types of cans in box. Its a matter of the attendant catching it or not.

The screening process seems to be a little different with each employee. Many with sealed legit 12 packs have them opened with every can examined. I know that if I decided to try and sneak a couple brewskis in there I would be busted for sure. I'd be a terrible spy so I just follow the rules as written to the letter.

If you MUST have a can or 6/8 of your fav brew in addition to what gets served on board ship, you can certainly try the technique. At one time it worked fairly well. But since the middle of 2010, it has worked less well. You will get your brews back on the last night or at debarkation when the naughty room stash is made available for return. But if the cover soda is also to be drank during the cruise, you might lose access to that as well. I'd put odds at 4:1 losing both the soda and brew for your cruise time.

We will be leaving from New Orleans on the Conquest in a few weeks. I have a favorite beer that isn't sold on the ship. I will be buying lots of their beers on Lido, but would like to have a few of my favorites in reserve.

I have heard of people putting cans of beer in a soda 12-pack box. Does this work? It wouldn't be a huge loss if I get busted, but just curious.

Just depends on the screeners as everyone says , In San Juan our last cruise , they cared less walked on with 6 pack of Medalla I had left over had it in my Carryon, didnt even try to hide them we had bottles of water no body checked a thing could have any liquid we wanted in those. Did the same in FLL last year had some beer left over walked them right on.

Port Canaveral last month I brought on a 24 pack of Pepsi...they pried and prodded every bit of that box to make sure it was not tampered with..... ..... I dont like your chances but you will only be out a few beers if caught...

I think the answer to any of these questions is the same...it's a crap shoot. There is no way to know. It's against the rules to bring alcohol on except the 1 btl of wine at embarkation. Anything outside of that will be confiscated if found. Good luck if you want to try...not worth the bother in my opinion.

For those of you who had your boxes of soda or packages of water opened- did they re-seals them afterwards? We are planning on bringing a couple cases of bottles water (and just water) but how in the world are we supposed to carry them if they take them all out of the packaging?

Duct tape. We had 12 packs and they just put them back in the box and duct taped the box shut. They checked each and every can, and shook each and every bottle of water (even the seltzer)

Duct tape. We had 12 packs and they just put them back in the box and duct taped the box shut. They checked each and every can, and shook each and every bottle of water (even the seltzer)

Thank you!!!!! I was having visions of us trying to juggle 24 bottles of water while pulling our carry ons and boarding documents :-) I think we spent as much on bottled water last time as we did on alcohol so this will be a big help!

By the way I love your dress and your picture!!!

Isn't it true that the possibility of getting caught is MUCH GREATER if your beer is in your carryon disguised in a Coke box? It's been a while, but we put a case of beer in a checked bag twice and it got to our cabin just fine. We'll be trying it again in a couple of weeks. :cool:

Rules are rules, why break them? Why don't you just enjoy the beers and other beverages available on Carnival and enjoy your "favorite" beer when you get hom.

Isn't it true that the possibility of getting caught is MUCH GREATER if your beer is in your carryon disguised in a Coke box? It's been a while, but we put a case of beer in a checked bag twice and it got to our cabin just fine. We'll be trying it again in a couple of weeks. :cool:

Things have changed...much more scrutiny now. Still not consistent in what they check but your odds aren't what they once were.

I have been to the naughty room. They looked at every soda and water that I had in my checked bag. I was able to keep them.

I buy a 2 buckets of beer when I get on the ship. Fosters is the best savings. Not the beer I always drink but it will do. I keep the bucket in my cabin on ice. When I am in port I have a few more local beers at a better price. I like to try local beers and it saves me some cash.

Good luck getting the beer to your cabin. You can always drink vodka for the week- easy to get on ship, taste great with lemonade and saves a lot of cash.

Enjoy

Bring liquor miniatures instead. I brought those on the Legend, six or seven. I only wound up drinking one. They were jumbled in a paper bag in my suitcase, which was not opened. I'm not a big drinker, my bar bill was nil.

Archived