Two arrested, accused of raping teen on cruise ship

TBR

This incident has absolutely nothing to do with a curfew. These individuals are alleged to have commited a criminal act that can be commited at any time during the day. They will be dealt with according to the law.

A 15 y/o girl wandering around the ship at 1:45AM.

Assuming everything that happened did happen (no reason to think otherwise)...

1. They should have tossed the two men overboard.

2. The parents of the girl don't know how to parent.

Agreed on both points. What a shame.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!

You obviously don't know anyone that has been raped.

The Orlando Sentinel reports a teenager said she was raped by two passengers while aboard, lured from a teen dance club to a private room in the wee hours of the morning. A teenage boy and a young man were arrested at Port Everglades on Tuesday. Both live in Brazil, but are being held in Broward. The teen and her family, who live in Iowa, set sail from Fort Lauderdale on Christmas for a 10-day cruise. The teen told authorities that on the last night aboard she'd gone to a teen club called Fuel, and at about 1:45 a.m. was invited to a party by a 15-year-old boy. She said she thought she'd be meeting friends in his private room, but said that when she got inside, another man was present, and the two would not allow her to leave. The 15-year-old said she told them she had a curfew and tried to leave, but said both males raped her. She reported it immediately to ship officials, according to arrest documents.

from

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Oh no!!! This is terrible.

News: Two Arrested for Raping Teen on World's Largest Cruise Ship

http://www.cruisecritic.com

That link doesn't take you to the story. CC's link on their facebook page did. In my quick glance there they called it a sexual assault. I only say that as the physical repercussions for the victim MAY be little less severe and permanent.

The story all said one person in the room was an adult. While the girl did show some bad judgement (not blaming her ) she apparently did report it right away and it sounds like the ship did everything possible for her afterwards.

The story also said she was 15 and left the teen club on her own with other teens. FWIW.

With cruiseships being the size of small towns, it is unfortunate that crimes of all kinds will take place. I hope this young person will ( with time ) be okay, and if guilty of such a crime the young men will be punished accordingly.

But it is not the fault of the cruise line anymore than it would be the fault of the town, if such a crime was committed on land, there are bad people everywhere, yes, even on our beloved cruise ships. Where I believe the level of security is far better than in most local towns, certainly more visable, but no one can expect a security gaurd to be present outside every cabin 24 hours a day.

and validates my concerns about my kids...BTW, they are leaving today on their cruise. Here's a link to another post I started on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1534669&highlight=cruise+ship+safety

You were given some really good advice in that thread that I hope you shared with your teens :) They should be just FINE provided they listened to you or read that thread and use good judgement.

They will likely come back telling you they had the best time ever.

I cant imagine its easy but Please try not to stress while they are gone :)

That link doesn't take you to the story. CC's link on their facebook page did. In my quick glance there they called it a sexual assault. I only say that as the physical repercussions for the victim MAY be little less severe and permanent.

The story all said one person in the room was an adult. While the girl did show some bad judgement (not blaming her ) she apparently did report it right away and it sounds like the ship did everything possible for her afterwards.

The story also said she was 15 and left the teen club on her own with other teens. FWIW.

Our board attorneys will correct me, but I believe sexual assualt is the technical term for rape.

That last thread was closed. Obviously it was a little too heated so maybe we should keep it calm here or this one will get deleted too. >_<

How did these guys think they were going to get away with it? I mean it's a cruise ship, you're going to get arrested by the authorities! There is no where to run or hide.

Also, once upon a time I was a teenager on a cruise ship, my mom let me wander around on my own since i was an only child and didn't want to hang out with my mom all the time. She was at one of the teen parties, so it's not like she was out wandering the ship alone. It was just poor judgment. I think this is one of those incidents that is incredibly rare and the only people to blame are the accusers. I think 15 is old enough to let go to one of these teen gatherings late at night, I mean it's supervised. I guess they just don't watch who you leave with (I mean for all the crew knew, they could have been brother and sister).

and validates my concerns about my kids...BTW, they are leaving today on their cruise. Here's a link to another post I started on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1534669&highlight=cruise+ship+safety

Sorry, but I don't think it validates your concerns at all. The odds are so, so, so small that anything will happen to them, even if they do engage in some risky behavior on-board. I understand the fears of being a parent, but you cannot be worried all the time...keep the statistics in mind - they rarely lie :)

That last thread was closed. Obviously it was a little too heated so maybe we should keep it calm here or this one will get deleted too. >_<

How did these guys think they were going to get away with it? I mean it's a cruise ship, you're going to get arrested by the authorities! There is no where to run or hide.

Also, once upon a time I was a teenager on a cruise ship, my mom let me wander around on my own since i was an only child and didn't want to hang out with my mom all the time. She was at one of the teen parties, so it's not like she was out wandering the ship alone. It was just poor judgment. I think this is one of those incidents that is incredibly rare and the only people to blame are the accusers. I think 15 is old enough to let go to one of these teen gatherings late at night, I mean it's supervised. I guess they just don't watch who you leave with (I mean for all the crew knew, they could have been brother and sister).

Odds are they thought either (a) they were in international waters so anything goes, or (b) nothing will be reported...and the fact that she didn't tell anyone until she was already home means they almost did get away with it.

She was at one of the teen parties, so it's not like she was out wandering the ship alone. It was just poor judgment. I think this is one of those incidents that is incredibly rare and the only people to blame are the accusers. I think 15 is old enough to let go to one of these teen gatherings late at night, I mean it's supervised. I guess they just don't watch who you leave with (I mean for all the crew knew, they could have been brother and sister).

Ya know, I'll go ahead and agree with you completely on this.

Odds are they thought either (a) they were in international waters so anything goes, or (b) nothing will be reported...and the fact that she didn't tell anyone until she was already home means they almost did get away with it.

She did not wait to report the incident. She reported it immediately to ship officials according to news reports.

I just had a thought- I wonder if she screamed out at all. On one cruise we were next to my grandparents and I was able to hear every word in their non stops arguments from next door. Wonder if anyone heard but did nothing. Like Kitty Genovese, or dominque dunne.

As in the closed post on this issue some have focused on the time it occured, Folks rape is a violent crime, the time of the rape is not the issue here, (it could have occured anytime) apparently a 15 year old girl used poor judgement going with another 15 year old boy back to his stateroom, (where a 20 year old male joined the 15 year old male in raping the girl).

It is not the girls fault she was raped, because of the poor judgement, teens use poor judgement everyday, better judgement comes with age and maturity.

The criminals who wouldn't allow the girl to leave the stateroom and then raped her are the only ones responsible for commiting this crime.

I am amazed at some of the responses that are blaming everyone except the thugs who forcibly set apon this young girl held her in the stateroom and raped her.

You were given some really good advice in that thread that I hope you shared with your teens :) They should be just FINE provided they listened to you or read that thread and use good judgement.

They will likely come back telling you they had the best time ever.

I cant imagine its easy but Please try not to stress while they are gone :)

You are right and thanks! I had a "big sit down" with my three and they seemed to hear me.

I spoke to them just a few moments ago from the ship in New Orleans and they are very excited. I am relieved that they are all in one cabin.

My 18 yr DD was worried about the ship sinking...I reminded her that there are no ice bergs in the Caribbean this time of year :)

Yes, but if it is YOUR child - - Oh my GOD.

I hope that the young lady get some counsel and that the young men get some time in prison.

Were the 15 year old and 20 year old cruising alone together, does anyone know? The fact the 20 year old was just waiting for them in the room makes me think this was planned, which in my opinion is just even worst. The fact you'd plan to pick up some poor girl like that is just sick. :(

Sorry, but I don't think it validates your concerns at all. The odds are so, so, so small that anything will happen to them, even if they do engage in some risky behavior on-board. I understand the fears of being a parent, but you cannot be worried all the time...keep the statistics in mind - they rarely lie :)

So, so, so small??? I don't think so. You can search by crime if you like or just browse.:rolleyes:

http://databases.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/ftlaudcruise/ftlaudcruise_list.php

Archived