"Bring a friend" promo....

I have debated on hopping on the Cruise Critic site and writing about my experience with this "promotion".

I will be very honest in my self assessment that I did not click the link that led me to the full terms and conditions. I read the very large print that said "it's that easy". I did not see anything on the page that led me to believe I would not get the benefit.

When I first filled out the forms, I was told all three of the rooms that I brought first time guests for were accepted and pending. All six of my friends are first time passengers. Two rooms were booked at balcony one at oceanview. This was approximately $5,500 in fares paid to Royal Caribbean.

Now, I called about two weeks ago to verify I had gotten the onboard $75 I thought I was going to get. As you have probably gathered by my posting this, I was told that since I got a C&A platinum discount, I could not combine the two and thus, I was not given the onboard credit.

Now, my reasoning for being upset. The promotion is geared to those who are return cruisers, we will all most certainly be getting some type of discount. Additionally, we would mostly be already getting more in onboard credit from loyalty ambassador etc. This makes the promotion misleading on it's face. I can understand the limit to onboard credit. However, this one really upsets me.

I have read on other threads how some folks were able to get the credit anyway. I have tried and tried, I have sent emails, actual letters, made phone calls and spoke to supervisors. I have to say, I am disappointed in RCCL. It won't ruin my vacation, but alas, I can't help but think it's upsetting.

I am a guy of principle and feel they should do the right thing. Makes me want to book my next cruise elsewhere. My friends and I usually book for the next year about now. I am thinking of taking our group booking elsewhere. All over $75...... :(

Jason

Disappointing! I wonder then if I will get the OBC. We are booked for March and have booked two cabins for first time cruisers. I filled out the forms for both reservations and they show as pending. I applied a C&A savings certificate to our booking - so will that disqualify this promotion? I'll still come ahead because the the certificate was $125 and the OBC would be $50 - but it would be nice to be able to have both. :)

they either need to cancel the program or take away all the terms & conditions...it's really more of a pain than it's worth...seems that it's good for any repeat cruiser who is below Plat...otherwise, you are pretty much out of luck if you've used the discount which you earned.....

I posted in another thread yesterday about how mine was pending, but checked last night and it now says it's denied. We're gold, this is only our second cruise, we didn't book with a savings certificate or any other discount so even if you're below Plat you're probably still not going to get it I guess.

We too were in a similar situation. We booked during a sale and brought 3 friends in their own room on the Allure. Their room alone was close to $3000 and RCCL couldn't afford to give us the $25 to refer a new cruiser to them.

I have to agree that the terms and conditions need to be removed on this promo. Especially given the fact that they make $1000's on the referrals, I'd say they can afford $25 OBC.

I don't blame you for being angry. It definitely sounds like a sham promotion from Royal Caribbean. Giant hoops to jump through for not even very much onboard credit. I really wonder about the deterioration of their marketing department and the cruise line in general. :rolleyes:

I don't blame you for being angry. It definitely sounds like a sham promotion from Royal Caribbean. Giant hoops to jump through for not even very much onboard credit. I really wonder about the deterioration of their marketing department and the cruise line in general. :rolleyes:

Ditto. But have to add that the television ads and current shell marketing theme is equally poor. They need to hire a whole new jingle team and find people who have some catchy and creative ideas to redo their marketing program. Key word being --- catchy.

Denied as well due to the Diamond Balcony Discount! I too think they should consider discontinuing this program or removing the terms and conditions of this offer. I really wish they would have at least given the $25 credit to the new cruisers we referred! $25 certainly doesn't make or break any of us (including Royal) but it does leave a bad taste and it is disappointing.

I have debated on hopping on the Cruise Critic site and writing about my experience with this "promotion".

I'm not familiar with this promotion, so forgive my slight ignorance in this matter.

However, I recently booked on a similar promotion where I had "bring a friend" certificates from a Next Cruise reservation I had. These were given to me when a booked an open-ended reservation on board. Later, when I applied it to a cruise, I got my balcony discount, OBC for booking onboard, and the one certificate we used for friends was honored. They are getting $100 OBC.

The reason I tell this story is, if they can do it for the scenario in which I booked, why not (get it? "why not" ;)), do it for your scenario? I agree with your complaint. It sounds very misleading.

I'm not familiar with this promotion, so forgive my slight ignorance in this matter.

However, I recently booked on a similar promotion where I had "bring a friend" certificates from a Next Cruise reservation I had. These were given to me when a booked an open-ended reservation on board. Later, when I applied it to a cruise, I got my balcony discount, OBC for booking onboard, and the one certificate we used for friends was honored. They are getting $100 OBC.

The reason I tell this story is, if they can do it for the scenario in which I booked, why not (get it? "why not" ;)), do it for your scenario? I agree with your complaint. It sounds very misleading.

Just a guess at Royal's logic (always a dangerous path;)) ... The OBC from the bring a friend promo goes on your account, so adds to whatever benefits you may already have. The OBC from the friends and family certificate goes on your friend's account and falls under the "booking on board" rules which allow combinations.

Still, it does not make a lot of sense to me that there should be so many restrictions on such a small amount. I also tried to get this OBC for a friend of my daughter who was a first time cruiser. Denied because it was a group booking.

Bob

I did not receive any discount when I booked. I tired to do the online bring a friend or family and RC's website would not take the birthday. It took many phone calls. I was told it went through and I had one credit of 25.00 waiting for my cruise that leaves soon. I logged on to RC and have not seen it so I guess I will look on day 2 or 3 of the cruise.

I did not receive any discount when I booked. I tired to do the online bring a friend or family and RC's website would not take the birthday. It took many phone calls. I was told it went through and I had one credit of 25.00 waiting for my cruise that leaves soon. I logged on to RC and have not seen it so I guess I will look on day 2 or 3 of the cruise.

I would suggest you call them. They normally apply it before your cruise.

Just a guess at Royal's logic (always a dangerous path;)) ... The OBC from the bring a friend promo goes on your account, so adds to whatever benefits you may already have. The OBC from the friends and family certificate goes on your friend's account and falls under the "booking on board" rules which allow combinations.

Still, it does not make a lot of sense to me that there should be so many restrictions on such a small amount. I also tried to get this OBC for a friend of my daughter who was a first time cruiser. Denied because it was a group booking.

Bob

We got it, and booked just as you said. Now we have not sailed yet, so if we get a savings cert, will we loose it?

We got it, and booked just as you said. Now we have not sailed yet, so if we get a savings cert, will we loose it?

The way I read the restrictions, the $25 OBC cannot be combined with other benefits, so I think you would lose the bring-a-friend OBC if you applied the savings certificate.

The way I read the restrictions, the $25 OBC cannot be combined with other benefits, so I think you would lose the bring-a-friend OBC if you applied the savings certificate.

Better wording: They will deny the saving cert because you already have the refer a friend. So if you get a saving cert that is worth more, you will have to call them to remove the refer a friend, and then apply the saving cert.

My sister, husband, and mother wanted to take a cruise. I talked them into Royal instead of Carnival, they booked thru a travel agent and talked about 18 more people into going with them/us. I was denied the OBC because they booked as a "group". Even tho I booked sep. and not with them. This stinks. Very disappointing, but I won't let it stop me from having a good time on our trip in 25 days.:)

I did get it. I couldn't do it on line so I called C&A - a problem with my birthday which seems to be the theme. You would think they would fix that. It took a few calls before it showed up on my booking confirmation. I asked them to send me a copy so I was sure it was applied - I was told they don't usually do that. But I persisted and they sent it. A lot of work for $25 - but they can pay for the DOD for a few days. :p

Curlymason: Login in under "My Cruises", then click on "Bring a Friend", scroll down to the "Bring a Friend History", then scroll down about a 1/4 page and you will see it.

I just tried this, and got the message "Error, there was an error retrieving your referrals." Gee, another RCCL website glitch! I submitted mine over a month ago for a cruise in Feb, so I'm curious about it. I'm SURE it will be denied too, since I "cashed in" on the D+ balcony discount. Useless program, for sure! Oh well, I'll drink an extra $25 worth of beverages in the Diamond Lounge to make up for it.....LOL LOL

Archived