anyone counting calories?

WinnipegCruiser

Well I started a diet about 70 days ago. It is going well, but the basis of it is is to stay under 1770 calories a day. Subtracting any calories burned through excersize. Anyway, the hardest part, for me is knowing the calories in my meals.

Has anyone every head of a calorie count for Carnival menus?

I am on Weight Watchers and like counting calories you kind of know what is going to bust the calorie limit. Anything with sauce, fried, lots of sugar and large portions.

What do you eat at home and what kind of portions do you normally eat? Try to stick to as close to what you normally eat. Fruits and veggies are in abundance on the ship. Keep your portions down but give yourself some treats [ it is a vacation after all ] and take the stairs all week and you should be in good shape.

I am going to try to eat like I do at home. So then when I splurge on something it won't totally blow everything I have done. I vow to only take the stairs and I walk several miles around the deck. Then when I have a treat it doesn't matter.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

Kris

btw ....we r sailing together on the destiny...... Ill be the big (fat guy) drinking my daily calories up..... lol.... Actually I drink alot but have learned to only eat protein on the ships....and actually come off the same or less weight.....mich ultra and steak.......lol .....cant wait to meet up.....

I agree with Cozette.You don't need exact calorie counts but you DO need to control your portion size and eat healthy food. You KNOW that fried foods and food in gooey sauces won't help you on your healthy diet!

Alcohol and soda also ADD on big time!! You need to allow yourself something fun and then make up for it by being healthy the rest of the day.

Walking up and down the stairs is also helpful!

Don't listen to the folks who say "it's your vacation so eat like a hog"!!!

youre on vacation .....screw the diet...... u only live once......

Agreed. I've been counting calories since March so that I don't have to count them on my cruise. I've pretty much accepted that when I go out, I let myself live a little and don't worry about it. I'm much more strict during the day and at home, and I go to the gym 4 times a week. Indulging here and there (vacation included) isn't going to be the end of the world.

I don't count calories on a cruise' only pre cruise lol. I use the myfitnesspal app on my phone when I am out, and their website when I am home. I just put in "carnival cruise" and the only thing they have is warm chocolate melting cake. If you kind of "pre plan" what you want to eat, you can build the meal in the app or on the website. That will give you some idea of the breakdown as far as calories, carbs, protein, etc. It is an awesome tool when you are paying attention to what you eat and how active you are.

I agree about treating yourself, just be sensible the majority of the time and with all the walking you should be fine.

The problem for me with "it's your vacation go for it " is that I have a really hard time getting back on the smart eating when I get home. It takes me a while to get the, for me it's sugar , out of my system.

The things that I have to watch out for, cookies, yummy, but each one is about 200 calories and who eats just one? I will have dessert but just one and it probably won't be a cookie, it will be something much more delicious.

I know meat is more calories than fish but I will probably eat a small portion of steak. I think meat portions are suppossed to be the size of a deck of cards, not much that's for sure.

Have fun and don't stress too much. Your tummy will tell you when you have overdone it and it will remind you that the new way you eat is what you are getting used to.

In one week I will see if I can follow my own advice:D

I've been on weight watchers for a year. I've lost 30+ lbs. Still want to lose 5 more before my 1/29/2012 cruise. I do go out to eat once in a while and just pick stuff that is broiled or baked or grilled, not deep fried. On Vacation I plan to eat what I want but not stuff myself and walk alot. But, if I gain a few lbs. back, I know I will lose it again after the cruise. You have to enjoy your vacation!:D

Im not counting on vacation but I seriously need to go to Weight Watchers when I get back! Im a lifetime member so at least I dont have to pay to rejoin. Lost 60 lbs to get to goal and was doing really well staying there till I got pregnant. Well, I ate for 2 to say the least! lol

Now the result of that pregnancy is 12 yrs old. :eek: Im fatter than ever and she is my cruisin' buddy this trip....but need to get back to it and stick to it after vacation!:p

I would be happy if I could just control it a little bit.

Right now my plan is to exercise more, really use the treadmill every day. If I can just burn off the additional calories, and stay under a NET calorie gain of 2000, I think I would be happy.

I can look of this as a vacation, or maybe 14 days to start a new habit.

I would be happy if I could just control it a little bit.

Right now my plan is to exercise more, really use the treadmill every day. If I can just burn off the additional calories, and stay under a NET calorie gain of 2000, I think I would be happy.

I can look of this as a vacation, or maybe 14 days to start a new habit.

The old menus used to state calorie counts on the SPA selections, but the new menus that I have seen have done away with the counts. If you stick to the spa selections at dinner you should be OK, Just use your common sense at lunch and breakfast and snacks and you should be OK. I did that last summer, maintained my diet and lost 2 pounds in the week I was on board.

OP I have been counting calories, dieting, and not dieting, exercising and not exercising over many many years of my life, but I do tend to gain weight if I dont stick to my usual eating habits from home. I say stick to your usual habits from home, have some extra treats within reason, and spread them out over the duration of the cruise. Alcohol...is the worse offender for me. I tend to consume more of it on vacation, because I dont have to drive anywhere. I dont mean to say abstain from it, unless you already do at home, but have a few, just dont overdo them. The only time I gained more than a pound or two from a cruise, was when I had lots of DOD's ( drink of the days ) and wine with every meal in the MDR. If I dont overdo the drinks, I am usually fine. JMO.:)

Afterthought; I have sometimes found it hard to find something on the MDR menu, and have tried the spa menu, for both appetizer, main course and dessert. Those items have always been very tasty to me, and some I have looked forward to again. At least with those you know that they are lower in sugar, fat and calories. They are spa cuisines, but are tasty also.

I dont count at all, but I have lost a lot of weight and am "normal" weight now and don't want to go back. These holidays already smacked me back. So my plan is to, in general, just not totally lose it.

I am going to opt for healthier options through the day (I like lower carb, lower fat, higher protein) .

Pre-plan food choices so I dont just grab the first yummy thing.

Allow one dessert a day (Usually just a few bites anyways)

Allow alcohol in the form of wine not sugary drinks for the most part, but stick to water the rest of the time

Hit the gym every day in the morning, even if it is just for a bit

Use the stairs when possible.

We are taking the little kids (5 and 6) and we are going to use this opportunity to teach them about enjoying celebration while still using moderation. So I plan to practice what I preach. But I also plan on being flexable with myself so that I am having a good time and not stressed out.

I would stay with the way you are eating, just doing it in moderation. I plan on having a WCMC, but it will be on the last night. At least I can have one in full and not feel guilty by eating it for several days.

Take the stairs and forget the elevator. Dont beat yourself up if you have lost. Actually I really like the sugar free desserts.

Archived