Crown Princess Nail Salon Shellac Manicure?

Whimsy

Does anyone know if they do Shellac manicures in the nail salon on Crown Princess? I have never had one, but was thinking of getting one next week for our upcoming cruise. If I had a problem it's my understanding it's hard to get off. I was wondering if they offer this service if I needed to take it off.

Does anyone know if they do Shellac manicures in the nail salon on Crown Princess? I have never had one, but was thinking of getting one next week for our upcoming cruise. If I had a problem it's my understanding it's hard to get off. I was wondering if they offer this service if I needed to take it off.

They definitely do. Had both a shellac manicure & pedicure on the Crown in November. They last a long time. The manicurist said she'd remove the shellac polish for me at the end of the cruise if I wanted, but I kept it on. It's easy to remove with acetone. Also when you get home all you have to do to find a salon uses shellac is go the CND website for registered shellac manicurists in your area.

You will pay top $ to have this done on the cruiseship...Consider having it done at a nail salon in your home town before sailing..I have been getting the "Gel Manicures" for some time and love them. Can't imagine any reason you will be "stuck" they protect your nails and mine have lasted sometimes 3-4 weeks..Call some salons for prices..I pay $25.00 for a complete manicure or just $15.00 for a color change..Good luck and enjoy !!!

I agree; it's really too expensive to have nail services onboard and while they have always done a good job, it's not anything extra special (and the colour selection can be somewhat limited). Instead, since you're sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, I highly recommend Harbor Nails on 17th Street. I've used them more than once and have been very, very pleased with their service and their prices are quite reasonable. It's a big, very clean salon, all the staff is extremely friendly, but they are busy, so don't go without an appointment. I usually call a week or so ahead, just to be sure. When you arrive, make sure to remind them you have an appointment and don't just sign the sheet, or you'll wait with all the rest of the walk-ins.

Sorry for the confusion. I am having my nails done here at home before teh cruise. Since I have not had them done before I am afraid of them chipping or peeling and just wanted to make sure I could have it removed on board if there was a problem. I am getting them done Wednesday night before we leave.

Gotcha. Me, I always wait until the embarkation port because I can chip a nail just by looking at it, now that I don't have acrylics anymore! However, I realize that most people are not as klutzy as I am . . . . I hope you and your nails have a fabulous cruise!

It was a pain to get off. I got it done on Golden in September. It said "guaranteed to last two weeks". Two months later it was still there, I finally went to a nail salon and they had to sand it off.

I've been doing the gel manicures for years. I love them. They last 3 or 4 weeks. However, I wanted to try something new, so I went with the shellac manicure the last time, bright red for Christmas! They look awesome. I love the gel, but it involves grinding down my nails. They don't do that with Shellac. And my nails really look good. I'm so happy to actually have use of my nails again! This manicure lasted for 2 1/2 weeks and I go back tomorrow for my next one. I did have a couple small chips, but nothing awful. Pretty good for red.

I'm glad to hear that they do them on Princess since I'll be on board for 2 weeks in October, and plan on having a Halloween theme done before I board! This way I can change it if I hate it before I get off!

Thanks for bringing up this topic!

Maureen

I've been doing the gel manicures for years. I love them. They last 3 or 4 weeks. However, I wanted to try something new, so I went with the shellac manicure the last time, bright red for Christmas! They look awesome. I love the gel, but it involves grinding down my nails. They don't do that with Shellac. And my nails really look good. I'm so happy to actually have use of my nails again! This manicure lasted for 2 1/2 weeks and I go back tomorrow for my next one. I did have a couple small chips, but nothing awful. Pretty good for red.

I'm glad to hear that they do them on Princess since I'll be on board for 2 weeks in October, and plan on having a Halloween theme done before I board! This way I can change it if I hate it before I get off!

Thanks for bringing up this topic!

Maureen

Hmmm..Gel nails for years :confused:..No grinding involved..I think it sounds more like you are talking about acrylics..Gel/Shellac are really the same thing just a different term depending on where you live and a pretty new technique that uses a UV light ;)

Sorry for the confusion. I am having my nails done here at home before teh cruise. Since I have not had them done before I am afraid of them chipping or peeling and just wanted to make sure I could have it removed on board if there was a problem. I am getting them done Wednesday night before we leave.

Hi Whimsy! I had mine done before our last 10 dat in October here at home and they held up really well. I tend to always have one chip but not this time. Lasted well into 2 weeks but I tried to remove it myself and it was not easy. Of course I have NO patience when it comes to sitting & waiting.....:rolleyes: Next time I will definitely go back to the salon for removal.;)

Enjoy your B-day cruise!!

Andrea

~~~~~~~

It must be me. I had a Gel manicure for the first time in November. I was amazed that I actually had nice nails for a wedding the next day, as I usually don't make it to the car without some nic,skid mark or chipping.

Well, within seven days, my nails were starting to peel...in whole pieces. I couldn't leave them flapping, so I completed the peel. Needless to say, they didn't last two weeks. I had no problem getting the polish off! I think I spend too much time in dish water and cleaning.

I'm going to try again this week, and hope for the best. I agree the price on the ship is astronomical!

Hmmm..Gel nails for years :confused:..No grinding involved..I think it sounds more like you are talking about acrylics..Gel/Shellac are really the same thing just a different term depending on where you live and a pretty new technique that uses a UV light ;)

I agree. I have never had any grinding or sanding done with gel or shellac nails. Basically the same process for application, curing under UV light, and removal (with acetone, cotton and foil papers). I find them very easy on my nails. Once every six months or so I give my nails a breather for a month or so. I have never had a problem with my natural nails chipping or breaking during the "breather". Perhaps you need to give them a "breather" more often?

I also think going to a high quality salon is key - ask them if they are going to use any power tools and if so, run away!

I think you will enjoy the shellacs whether you get them done on board or on land. No drying time so no smudges!:)

Actually the price on the Coral last September was LESS than what I paid stateside at my regular girl. I had mine done prior to boarding but our table mate had her's done on the Coral and told me what she paid, which was $25.00. I can typically get 3 weeks out of mine by sticking with a very light color. I did not even bother to pack any polish or remover with me, I was so sure it would last the needed 15 days. Have a wonderful cruise, you will love having your nails shellacked.

hi all i also love the gel/shellac polish.. its great and can last for 4 weeks on me and still look great......but my nails will chip and split after i get it off...(i don't put it right back on) does anyone have that problem if you dont polish right away again???

I've had Calgel then Shallac for nearly 4 years and love it, my nails always look good and are as hard as nails (sorry):o , but in Nov I decided to paint my own nails and they break, although the gel/shallac does no damage to the nail bed, I think it spoils you and you forget that unprotected nails break IMHO - I've gone back to shallac love it

I have had my nails done on board Golden Grand and Crown cost is reasonable and finnish is perfect, mine last approx 3 weeks, Princess charge $10 to soak off and $25 to reapply money well spent IMHO

On the Golden in August, I was charged $40 for removal of old regular polish, re-polish in French and a shellac top coat. It lasted more than three weeks and grew out before it chipped, plus, instantly dry. I soaked off the shellac myself (softened in acetone remover and rubbed off). At home it's $70 for the same thing, but including the actual manicure, so I didn't think the ship overcharged.

Am I understanding that this instantly dries? There is no chance of smudging at all? I could come home and instantly do things like pack????

Yup! That's what sold me on it. Instantly, 'hard as nails';), so you can dig in your purse, drive home, pack, get your hands wet. I usually only get a manicure and polish for vacations and holidays. The shellac provides 'insurance' that, if done right, your polish won't be money thrown away.

You do need to remove it properly (patiently) because, if you try peeling it off, you might damage your nails.

I had the shellac manicure and pedicure last year on the Crown

The varnish lasted 4 weeks, was glossy bright red and just amazing!

The manicurist was a delightful young lady from South Africa. We had such a lovely chat while she was doing my nails. No trying to sell me products or anything like that.

A really relaxing and pleasant pampering - and I didn't think the cost was anything excessive.

Plan to do this again in September on the Grand! :D

Shelac should NEVER be sanded off your nails:eek: If a tech tries to do this run...

If your nails are peeling after two days: preperation was not thorough, they put it on too thick or was not cured properly in between coats.

Always use solar oil on your nails to keep them from drying out .

Yes you can do anything you want minutes after being shellaced .

(Go fishing in your purse for thise keys):)

I am not a nail tech but have a great one!:D

Shelac should NEVER be sanded off your nails:eek: If a tech tries to do this run...

If your nails are peeling after two days: preperation was not thorough, they put it on too thick or was not cured properly in between coats.

Always use solar oil on your nails to keep them from drying out .

Yes you can do anything you want minutes after being shellaced .

(Go fishing in your purse for thise keys):)

I am not a nail tech but have a great one!:D

Yes I would recommend solar oil too - its great stuff!!

Archived