Pirate Bar and Cabanas

WARANEEB

I have heard that when the HALcats first started to play in the Pirate Bar the music was quite loud, but that it has since toned down. Can anyone who has stayed in the Pink Cabana #8 tell me if the music from the Pirate Bar A) can be heard; b) can be heard loudly and/or c) is too loud. I realize that everyone has a different opinion of what is "loud" but any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. I was at HMC this past December but not in a cabana and the music didn't seem loud when I walked by the Pirate Bar, but I was only there for a few minutes, not the entire day. Thanks

I was recently in the third (turquoise) cabana. While in the cabana, the music wasn't heard, as the intervening cabanas created a barrier. But as soon as I went out on the beach, the music was audible. :( It wasn't too loud in my area, but it was clear and was intrusive, imo.

The Pirate Bar music is very noticeable (intrusive/annoying/thumping bass) even way down the beach between about 11-2. There is no peace and quiet between the dock and the Pirate Bar either as tender engines are also a constant background sound.

Don't know if being inside the cabana muffles the sound, but being on the beach one does not escape this most unwelcome intrusion. If I were to pick a cabana, I would pick the ones furthest away up the beach from both the Pirate Bar and the dock.

The only thing good about the Pirate Bar is being inside it because you don't have to look at its hulking out of scale profile making a mockery of what used to be an idyllic, low key private isle.

My mouth dropped in shocked disbelief when I saw this grotesque and wholly out of scale blight as we sailed into the bay.

have to look at its hulking out of scale profile making a mockery of what used to be an idyllic, low key private isle.

My mouth dropped in shocked disbelief when I saw this grotesque and wholly out of scale blight as we sailed into the bay.

Agreed...don't know what they were thinking except for the $$$ from Capt Morgan marketing. However as far as a place to settle with no noise, DW and I in Nov had a clamshell halfway between the sport shack and the pirates and there was no noise there. At first I was mad at the location the attendants placed us, but found out it was one of the few places that was quiet, still near the bathrooms. Glad I had kept my mouth shut for once (Thank you DW!:rolleyes:)

We saw the infamous Pirate Bar for the first time in November. Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. it does stick out but on shore it's not that bad. (I'm being kind)

Dh and I went for a drink - and then the music started to warm up. We were out of there so fast your head could spin. In this case it wasn't the HAL cats - and although the music was decent it was very LOUD. We headed back to the main area and decided to return to the ship and pack;)

I don't know how anyone could stay in the bar once they start up - and I feel sorry for those nearby - but perhaps I just don't have the right attitude:confused:

I don't know how anyone could stay in the bar once they start up - and I feel sorry for those nearby - but perhaps I just don't have the right attitude:confused:

Nothing wrong with your attitude (except think the PB was "okay". :roll eyes:)

For HAL ships they need to limit the Pirate Bar music to unamplified ukuleles. For Carnival ships, they can let it rip.

For HAL ships they need to limit the Pirate Bar music to unamplified ukuleles. For Carnival ships, they can let it rip.

....methinks they should just send the whole thing to Disney...maybe goofy and the kids would like it!;)

When we were there last March the music was quite loud and could be heard even when in a cabana pretty far down the beach. Not only was the volume irritating but the band was playing those old Caribbean classics such as Devil With a Blue dress On, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Stairway to Heaven.

When we where there just last month we noticed that the volume was greatly reduced and the song selections were Caribbean-appropriate. It was not bothersome to us at all and when in the cabana we did not hear any music. In my recent experience the situation has greatly improved.

Bruce

When we were there last March the music was quite loud and could be heard even when in a cabana pretty far down the beach. Not only was the volume irritating but the band was playing those old Caribbean classics such as Devil With a Blue dress On, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Stairway to Heaven.

When we where there just last month we noticed that the volume was greatly reduced and the song selections were Caribbean-appropriate. It was not bothersome to us at all and when in the cabana we did not hear any music. In my recent experience the situation has greatly improved.

Bruce

thanks Bruce - good to hear - we can compare notes in March :);):D

I have heard that when the HALcats first started to play in the Pirate Bar the music was quite loud, but that it has since toned down. Can anyone who has stayed in the Pink Cabana #8 tell me if the music from the Pirate Bar A) can be heard; b) can be heard loudly and/or c) is too loud. I realize that everyone has a different opinion of what is "loud" but any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. I was at HMC this past December but not in a cabana and the music didn't seem loud when I walked by the Pirate Bar, but I was only there for a few minutes, not the entire day. Thanks

I've had the pink cabana twice. Never heard music. First time was before the pirate bar. Last time was this past January. If there was music, I didn't notice it.

Terri

Since they have toned down the music, most of it seems confined to the Bar itself. It's not as bad as it once was.

Light blue might be able to pick up some sound.

It was bad on the beach. Could not get away from it. Thumping bass if one could not hear the exact lyrics. Dec 2011.

Trust someone from HAL will read this thread and take note.

Last time we were on the NA "Marlene and the HAL Cats" were so loud we could hear them on the deck below.

They played the same set of songs over and over - I re-named them - Marlene and the HELL Cats!!:cool:

We've been to HMC a number of times on HAL, but this past May was the first time that we'd been to HMC on the Carnival Miracle. They had an accoustic guitar player in the Pirate Bar which was very nice, however, there were only about 12 people in the bar!

One of the big surprises for us on that Carnival cruise was that while there was plenty of action happening at the bars onboard, once the ship was in any port, there was little partying in the bars ashore. Carnival has to be doing the happy dance by having all those drink dollars staying onboard.

I've not been to HMC since the pirate bar went in, but in the picture of it on this thread, it is, IMHO, a monstrosity of the first order.:eek: Luckily I usually book the gray cabana, which is almost the last one down the beach, and I hope, would be the most peaceful place on the beach. I guess I'll find out on our March visit to HMC. Now this might be an awful thought, but perhaps a bad storm might make it go away? :eek:

We've been to HMC a number of times on HAL, but this past May was the first time that we'd been to HMC on the Carnival Miracle. They had an accoustic guitar player in the Pirate Bar which was very nice, however, there were only about 12 people in the bar!

One of the big surprises for us on that Carnival cruise was that while there was plenty of action happening at the bars onboard, once the ship was in any port, there was little partying in the bars ashore. Carnival has to be doing the happy dance by having all those drink dollars staying onboard.

Carnival owns the beach and the bars, so they get your money regardless.

.... Now this might be an awful thought, but perhaps a bad storm might make it go away? :eek: [/color][/size][/font]

Those were my sentiments exactly after the last hurricane apparently spent some time grinding away on HMC. Alas, there was chewed up vegetation, but this stalwart hulk was an unwelcome survivor. Deepest sympathies to those who lost lives and homes, but it was also a splendid opportunity to right a wrong foisted by corporate upon this lovely low-key island.

I hear there's a support group for those that have suffered the "Blue Cabana":rolleyes:

Complaints about the retreat cabanas the pirate ship and everything else under the sun.

Meanwhile passengers keep toting case of wine soda and water and gripe the pirate ship and the retreat cabanas are just sources of income.

Yes it's called Holland America ie Carnival Cruise Lines

They're in this racquet to make money they're not the Salvation Army

I hear there's a support group for those that have suffered the "Blue Cabana":rolleyes:

Complaints about the retreat cabanas the pirate ship and everything else under the sun.

Meanwhile passengers keep toting case of wine soda and water and gripe the pirate ship and the retreat cabanas are just sources of income.

Yes it's called Holland America ie Carnival Cruise Lines

They're in this racquet to make money they're not the Salvation Army

Love it:) I do bring wine on board - but I spend lots on board too:)

I just didin't like the bar once the music started - doesn't mean we didn't get a drink there before it didn't though:):);)

Archived