Cruise fashion tips for the non-perfect figure

kazbar

HI :)

I don't know about you but I don't look like a super model. I have too much in some places and not enough in others. I don't want to jiggle when I walk or have to keep pulling bits out of places just to sit down.

I sell and buy clothing online and over the years I have learned which styles suit me, and which ones look great on mannequins, and I am sure I still have tonnes to learn.

I thought that maybe we could all share some of the things we have learned, especially now that online fashion shopping is so popular and is one of the best ways to get a bargain for our upcoming cruises.

What have you learned about shopping for an imperfect figure?

These are some that i can think of right now ...

If you are big busted, and like a lot of support in a swimsuit, then you should ignore all halter necks. They look great on small busted women and those who don't need any support but are really not practical for 'bigger' natural busted women. Also, the wider the shoulder straps, the better the support.

A skirt on a swimsuit is fantastic for covering bits that only see the sun one or two weeks a year. They are also making a bit of a fashion come back.

Tops and dresses with a V neckline are more flattering to a larger chest than a high neckline but you don't want the V to be too deep or you will feel like you are on show.

Empire line (ie fitted under the bust and then falling loose or A-line) will help cover bellies and hips that have lived a full life. 'Babydoll' is another name often used for that style.

If the fabric for a dress or skirt is bias cut, get the next size up to your usual size, especially if you will be sitting a lot in it.

Correct fitting underwear is your best friend :)

This is a great topic! I believe there are "trick" mirrors in dressing rooms that are like those at the carnival. :rolleyes: I think I look taller and thinner in the dressing room. So, having "guidelines" is a great idea.

If you are spending a lot of money on an item, especially an "investment" piece that you plan on incorporating in your long term wardrobe, take someone with you that will be very honest. For me, it's my sister or my daughter. If neither are available, I'll take my phone camera and text a picture to them.

Other than that, I think scoop necks are less flattering on heavy women than v necks. (agree not too low... a camisole or tank under can save you!) I also think tops that are hip length are more flattering than waist length.

Personally, unless an "Empire Waist" top is cut exactly in the right place?

I think they look horrible on me. I am big enough in the middle and they

can make a person look very pregnant:eek:....now, if it is cut in the correct

spot under the bustline? I have found a few that I like, but overall? I think

they are some of the most unflattering tops out there...and yes, Babydoll

is another term....they make me look like I am going to have one:rolleyes:

if the middle of the top is not "extra flowy" it can be ok...but definitely

not my 1st or even my 2nd choice of tops.......

I do love a V neck....very flattering:):)

I prefer to buy in person instead of online, but I understand that many people don't have shopping alternatives close by. If I do buy online, I refuse to shop with a no return policy.

My shopping mantra is "if I don't love it - I don't buy it", no matter how badly I am in need of something or how much the price has been discounted.

Pants are hard to fit for me. I don't have big legs or hips for my size, but my waist is where I carry my weight. Even when I was 30 years younger and my smallest size I wore pants larger than I should have and had the legs tapered.

So, I've found that side zip pants and skinny jeans work best for me. The side zip adds no bulk like a front zipper with the button and fly. Skinny jeans that are not so skinny at the bottom have stretch to accomodate my waistline and as long as they don't cling to my thighs and calves, they make me look 10-15 lbs. lighter than wider cut jeans. Chico's has a pair that fit me perfectly. Not your daughters jeans in my size work great for me.

For the same reason (wide at the waist) I prefer tops that are more tunic (but not too long and flowy, those make me feel fatter) and dresses with an empire waist. But like Lois says, not too much fullness in the cut or it makes a person look pregnant. My neck is shorter that I'd like it to be, so I avoid collars.

The number one thing about clothes looking good is fit. If a piece almost fits but there's one thing wrong, don't hesitate to have that altered. If a piece of clothing fits well, you love it and it looks good on you, you will get your money's worth out of it no matter how expensive it may seem at first. I don't care what kind of bargain you get on poorly fitting clothing, it's cash down the drain if it's not worn, money that could be used towards a more suitable article.

I don't shop for "cruise clothes". I found that if I didn't want to wear the stuff at home it would migrate to the back of the closet. The next cruise I'd pull it out and still not be crazy for it...most of it went into the Goodwill bag. So now I pack from my closet things I wear all the time. The exception is cocktail dresses for formal nights.

I've lost a bunch of weight, and although I'm a size 8, I have a flabby middle. I find that shirts with a pattern and texture are more forgiving than smooth, solid colored knits. Ruching accomplishes the same thing.

I've learned 3 rules after seeing myself in various cruise pictures.

1. Shrugs are my best friends when it comes to sleeveless dresses.

2. T-shirts are not my friends, they accentuate all the wrong areas, so now I only wear them when I know no pictures will be taken.

3. Swim shorts are longer and hide more than the swim dresses, and can be worn around so its one less thing to worry about when you go from beach to port.

"perfection foes not exist" this is something I like to remind myself of. No one has the perfect body, not even supermodels. ;)

One thing that I think is really helpful in buying clothing is don't get hung up on the size on the tag! Sizes vary store to store and even style to style. Don't try to squeeze into something too small because you don't want to be associated with a certain number. Just buy what fits, and what you are comfortable and confident in--no one sees the size on the tag but you :D

I have to be cautious about big, bright prints and wide stripes. Sequined tanks were popular this season. I tried on so many and it seemed that they all were like putting neon lights across my chest. Finally, I found a tank that was more subdued.

The thing is I love colorful big tropical prints but I just can't wear them. Muted, but pretty solid colors work best for me.

I have to be cautious about big, bright prints and wide stripes. Sequined tanks were popular this season. I tried on so many and it seemed that they all were like putting neon lights across my chest. Finally, I found a tank that was more subdued.

The thing is I love colorful big tropical prints but I just can't wear them. Muted, but pretty solid colors work best for me.

I would love to wear tanks, but have "bat wing" phobia.:o I have a ton of them but wear them as a layer under another top or sweater.

Buy things the right size; I tend to buy things too big because I can't stand tight garments.

After seeing myself in some pictures with oversized tops and correctly fitting tops, it was striking how much heavier and squarer I looked in that XL super comfy but sloppy top.

I have to try everything on and it takes a lot of looking to find things that are age-approriate, stylish, not too expensive and that fit right but aren't uncomfortable. Oh yeah, I want to like it and look good in it too.

I also have a small hang-up with sizes, so far have never bought a pair of pants over size 8. I don't mind in other garments, but I have some blockage in my mind with the '8'. I know this is stupid and that different manufacturers and even different pants in the same style differ, but ....

So far, luckily, even if I am on the top end of my weight range I can still find some (vanity-sized, I love you Christopher Banks!) pants that fit and are still that magic # 8.

I've lost a bunch of weight, and although I'm a size 8, I have a flabby middle. I find that shirts with a pattern and texture are more forgiving than smooth, solid colored knits. Ruching accomplishes the same thing.

Same here... ruching is my best friend having gone from a womens 24 to a misses 12 in dress sizes. I have several dresses with it and so does my swimsuit.

I'm also finding that currently many of the higher waisted styles are actually at a flattering placement this year, being large busted used to be an issue with that but they seem to have made them a little lower than in pervious years but still above the true waist.

kazbar, this is SUCH a timely thread for me!

I've spent about 2 months futzing with my wardrobe, trying to find a new, age-appropriate style that is flattering and age-appropriate (did I mention "age-appropriate"? :D )

I've gained about 15 lbs, all around my waist and midriff area, and on my rear end. This is what I have found works for me.

I am now favoring a monochromatic color scheme, with a slightly darker shade for my skirt/pants/shorts. Then a pop of color with a scarf or piece of jewelry, or (if I'm feeling daring ;) ) a brighter colored jacket.

What I found is that I really REALLY need to get a good fit at my waist, then my little poochy bit around my waist is camoflaged by the waistband. Otherwise, if the waist doesn't fit properly, and sit where I need it to, I definitely have that "spare tire" look. Although I'm around a size 8 US/Cda, I buy size "Large" t-shirts so they float away from my midriff area a bit.

I'm getting comfortable with my new look and am seizing every chance I can to practice -- OMG I even get "fixed up" to go grocery shopping so I have more opportunities to practice. (My work life involves blue jeans and fleecy tops)

my problems are large shoulders from my heavy lifting warehouse job, large flabby waist and no butt with skinny legs. im not sure what too call my figure. im not the '' tazmainian monster '' shape but pretty close. buying things that fit and look good is a real challenge for me. especially pants and jeans. i have too try on everything. and if i find something that looks good and feels comfortable i buy several peices in different colors so i know i have items that co-orditnate and are on hand.

This will be our third cruise so I am a little more relaxed about it. However, life has been pretty stressful and since we only booked the cruise about six months ago I am in worse shape than usual. I am pretty bummed out about how I look and feel. I have the stereotypical metabolic syndrome look - a big belly! The pretty dresses I wore on the last cruises do not fit. I do not want to worry about looking terrible and being uncomfortable the whole time. Since it is winter I am not even sure how bad I look in "cruise wear"! Any words of advice on what to wear, what not to wear?

This will be our third cruise so I am a little more relaxed about it. However, life has been pretty stressful and since we only booked the cruise about six months ago I am in worse shape than usual. I am pretty bummed out about how I look and feel. I have the stereotypical metabolic syndrome look - a big belly! The pretty dresses I wore on the last cruises do not fit. I do not want to worry about looking terrible and being uncomfortable the whole time. Since it is winter I am not even sure how bad I look in "cruise wear"! Any words of advice on what to wear, what not to wear?

No advice, just commiseration. :o Try to enjoy the experience and know that there is always someone who looks worse.:p The fact is, that it's your personality that people will remember. If you are enjoying yourself, people will remember how fun you are, not what your waistline measured. Have Fun!!!:D

Ok, it was advice....

"perfection foes not exist" this is something I like to remind myself of. No one has the perfect body, not even supermodels. ;)

One thing that I think is really helpful in buying clothing is don't get hung up on the size on the tag! Sizes vary store to store and even style to style. Don't try to squeeze into something too small because you don't want to be associated with a certain number. Just buy what fits, and what you are comfortable and confident in--no one sees the size on the tag but you :D

AMEN Sista!! I don't care what size your tag says, a 'muffin top' is just not attractive! :D

I am 173 pounds at 5'5" so I definitely am not small. I also carry my weight in a disproportional way (large arms, decently small waist, very large thighs and butt, small face, good neck and shoulders).

For me, I go for sleeveless dresses because my "trunk" and waist are so much smaller than my arms. I just can't do sleeves because they will be too tight, or the rest of the dress will be too big (requiring expensive tailoring). So I usually have nicely fitted cardigans or a pashmina/wrap, depending on the dress style and time of day.

I tend to go for dresses with a flare to the skirt, so it accentuates my waist.

I have found empire dresses are the only thing that works for me now. Even though I'm about 5'2, and about 115 lbs, I carry all my weight in my tummy. I can not find pants that will button at the waistline and fit in the thighs unless they have a LOT of stretch in them! I usually will put a wide belt over the empire waist too to excentuate a small upper rib cage portion and then let the rest of the dress "float" over the belly. Full skirts (shorter lengths) with petticoats or crinoline hide tummys really well too. I am really into that look anyway.

I am also dreading being seen in a swimsuit, however I did find a tankini style with ruching all the way down the front that hides a lot, and a skirted bottom to hide the muffin top.

I have found empire dresses are the only thing that works for me now. Even though I'm about 5'2, and about 115 lbs, I carry all my weight in my tummy. I can not find pants that will button at the waistline and fit in the thighs unless they have a LOT of stretch in them! I usually will put a wide belt over the empire waist too to excentuate a small upper rib cage portion and then let the rest of the dress "float" over the belly. Full skirts (shorter lengths) with petticoats or crinoline hide tummys really well too. I am really into that look anyway.

I am also dreading being seen in a swimsuit, however I did find a tankini style with ruching all the way down the front that hides a lot, and a skirted bottom to hide the muffin top.

Hi,:) I just returned from a 5 night cruise and hopefully this will help

you (the way I am intending for it to sound)...don't worry about the

swimsuit thing.....please. I saw more women in the wrong fitting suits

than you can imagine:rolleyes:. I love tankinis too~they work well

for me:)...I know I was covered where I wanted to be covered.

I am betting you will be just fine........:)

I was just looking around as I was sitting in the shaded area of the

pool.....seems many women think 1/2 their breasts falling out of their tops

is attractive..........:eek:

Hi,:) I just returned from a 5 night cruise and hopefully this will help

you (the way I am intending for it to sound)...don't worry about the

swimsuit thing.....please. I saw more women in the wrong fitting suits

than you can imagine:rolleyes:. I love tankinis too~they work well

for me:)...I know I was covered where I wanted to be covered.

I am betting you will be just fine........:)

I was just looking around as I was sitting in the shaded area of the

pool.....seems many women think 1/2 their breasts falling out of their tops

is attractive..........:eek:

Thank you. :) I am not a fan of the breast halfway falling out look either!

• 3 weeks later...

What I learned last summer.

My son got married and the mother of bride is of course tiny. I tried on dresses and would have my picture taken. I looked so old frumpy and big. wedding was july in the south. hot hot hot. I never would go sleevelss but I said screw it got a beautiful bright blue sleeveless . I had so many compliments. I looked thinner and looked younger . so glad I just let it go

Moral of the story covering yourself up and dark colors make you look bigger and frumpy

I dont have a pic I can post but this is the dress

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Soft-Crinkle-Chiffon-Halter-with-Draped-Cascade-F12688_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

These are some that i can think of right now ...

If you are big busted, and like a lot of support in a swimsuit, then you should ignore all halter necks. They look great on small busted women and those who don't need any support but are really not practical for 'bigger' natural busted women. Also, the wider the shoulder straps, the better the support.

Tops and dresses with a V neckline are more flattering to a larger chest than a high neckline but you don't want the V to be too deep or you will feel like you are on show.

:)

I will disagree with you. Swimsuit halter tops that tie at the neck AND back are the BEST fitting and support you will find other than a swimsuit with built in bra/underwire support. I found this out and love the support i get from my halter bikini more than any other swimsuit I have ever owned. I like tight support, this gives it to me.

I do not think that V necklines are always the best choice for larger chested. I have a couple dresses with V necks I thought I liked until I aw the pictures afterwards and my girls were just shown a bit too much up top (not even about how deep the V line was). I am choosing a higher neck for my cruise dress as I like more modest dresses. I am constantly insecure in a V neck, especially if I am leaning over to talk to my daughter, I find other men staring at my chest. #DontLike.

I have tried princess cut dresses and feel they look like maternity dresses on me. #DontLike. Four kids... don't need to look preggo any more. Sometimes a fitted dress looks better. It's like my step-mom who puts oversized clothes on my 9 year old half-sister who is overweight. Baggy clothes often make you look "bigger/fatter" than if you just wear the right fit clothes.

Also, I have tried many dresses that are shirred on top, princess on bottom. They don't look good with my bigger. I have also tried a couple of the "romper" style outfits that are popular now. Maybe it was the pattern but I also thougth they looked bad on me.

Archived