Cruise fashion tips for the non-perfect figure

kazbar

The last few years I have worn Monokinis that have lots of coverage - it was helpful till I quit smoking and outgrew them all she says with longing..... Since I want any eyes to wander up rather than down, I've resigned myself to bright halter bikini top for XL top - medium to large covered bikini bottoms that are cute not grandma-ish

AND most important The sheer cover up - that can be folded, loosened, more coverage, less coverage - adjust as I go from snorkel boat, to ship to pool!

I have come to mix and match many of these until I can get 10-15 lbs dropped, or tipsy enough on vacation not to care! :D

My most important fashion accessory for traveling florida or carribean is my prized bottles of Niva Gel to eliminate most of the apperance of cellulite before we go!:eek:

When we got married last year on a beach - my hubby said - your friend, she has much lumpier and bumpier legs than you -- I laughed and took the compliment with my Nivea close at hand in my luggage!

I have been so discouraged packing fornthisncruise. Mynlast two cruises I was down to a sizen8". Over this past yearnI haveen taking care of my mom who has a brain tumor. I did not have time tomhitmthemgym like I use to. Thank God I kept all of my size 12 clothes just in case.

question. do you ever see anyone whering nylons. I have a black short dress for formal night. I see more black nylons now on TV.

thanks for the answers. I will probably get a pair of sheer black nylons. My Mom is declining slowly. My only hope and prayer is that she is Ok when we are away on our cruise in two weeks. I am very fortunate to have a sister and two brothers who are also her caregivers. she has had a great quality of life since she was dx with her tumor in May.

Most would look at me and thnk that I dont have a weight problem, and I really am not big, however, I have put on 20 pounds since marriage 20 years ago. (ooo, I am seeing a pattern, will I be 30 lbs heavier after 30 years of marriage?!)

Anyway, I am short...5'2" so that is always a problem when buying clothes as well. My best friends taught me a valuable lesson 5 years ago. She came over and went through my closet with me and helped me to see my clothes in a different light. We all get used to dressing in the same manner, and styles do change and cuts change. She took four of my dresses that I thought looked good on me and we drove off to the tailor to have them all shortened to accommodate my height, three had darts put them to show more curve in the waist (illusion, if you ask me) and one of them had the sleeves shortened from long sleeve to 3/4 length. OH MY GOODNESS....these dresses looked fabulous! I wore them all the time after that. Yes a tailor will run about 12-20 per item but it was well worth it since I now wore it more often and didn't feel the need to run out and buy something else.

We also took three pair of pants, surprisingly only one was hemmed to accommodate flats (we bought fabulous platform wedges to go with the others) but the other two were taken in throught he leg to give it a less boxy shape. It accentuated my thinner areas around the knees and then fell to a more relaxed bottom. She put darts in the upper butt area and it made me look like I just had a butt lift!

Yep, the tailor is now my best friend! If I see a dress that I really like but it is too big...I don't care, I will just have it altered to fit me.

Tips: 3/4 sleeves are the most flattering for all women so have the long sleeves altered and they are appropriate for all seasons.

Your dress should hit 2" above the knee for most flattering. If you are 20, you would go 4" above the knee.

Buy cute belts of all widths. They look wonderful worn over dresses or cardigans.

I highly recommend this website:

ShopYourShape.com

You enter your measurements and it tells you what shape your body is: Straight, Spoon, Curvy, etc. And then it has recommended silhouettes for shirts, pants, and swimsuits.

I'll be honest and say that I was a bit skeptical at first with the shirt shapes, especially since I am "boob-a-licious" as my Mom would say :o:rolleyes: and yet at the same time, since I have no waist, I am a "straight" figure...AND the way that they want you to add visual weight to your bust/shoulder area was like :eek:.

BUT...I have been taking pictures of myself for a long time now and I can say these things about anyone else with big girls and a straight figure...

1. Wider straps on a swim suit or tank top look much better than ones that angle in toward your neck...the angle makes your boobs look HUGE-r while the wider straps are more in keeping with the bust.

2. Visual volume is what we are talking about...a Henley style shirt with the buttons down the upper chest and nothing in the middle will visually add weight to that upper body...help your boobs look nicer and make you appear to have more of a waist...it's crazy but it's true...

So this applies to anything that adds visual interest there...V-necks (for those comfortable in them), sideways gathers (rusching?) at the neckline around the bust with a smoother middle that skims your torso...portrait collars...collars in general...any major neckline detail...with the absence around the waist adds visual weight to the top that helps to give you a waist.

3. Same goes for visual interest in the pants...don't necessarily get big ole pockets...but if you can find a pant that has stitching or other flat pocket details...this adds visual weight without extra fabric that helps to give you the illusion of a waist...A-line skirts do this with actual volume.

Anyway...these are the these that I have learned from looking at this site, taking photographs of myself, and really trying to analyze the results. I'm impressed with the information there.

What I learned last summer.

My son got married and the mother of bride is of course tiny. I tried on dresses and would have my picture taken. I looked so old frumpy and big. wedding was july in the south. hot hot hot. I never would go sleevelss but I said screw it got a beautiful bright blue sleeveless . I had so many compliments. I looked thinner and looked younger . so glad I just let it go

Moral of the story covering yourself up and dark colors make you look bigger and frumpy

I dont have a pic I can post but this is the dress

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Soft-Crinkle-Chiffon-Halter-with-Draped-Cascade-F12688_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

LOVE THAT DRESS! I may get it for my cruise!! Love the aqua blue color!

I have been so discouraged packing fornthisncruise. Mynlast two cruises I was down to a sizen8". Over this past yearnI haveen taking care of my mom who has a brain tumor. I did not have time tomhitmthemgym like I use to. Thank God I kept all of my size 12 clothes just in case.

question. do you ever see anyone whering nylons. I have a black short dress for formal night. I see more black nylons now on TV.

I read somewhere that Kate Middleton has made nylons fashionable again as she wears them often. :) I'm sorry about your Mom. I hope you enjoy your cruise. You certainly deserve some 'care-free fun'! God bless!

Most would look at me and thnk that I dont have a weight problem, and I really am not big, however, I have put on 20 pounds since marriage 20 years ago. (ooo, I am seeing a pattern, will I be 30 lbs heavier after 30 years of marriage?!)

Anyway, I am short...5'2" so that is always a problem when buying clothes as well. My best friends taught me a valuable lesson 5 years ago. She came over and went through my closet with me and helped me to see my clothes in a different light. We all get used to dressing in the same manner, and styles do change and cuts change. She took four of my dresses that I thought looked good on me and we drove off to the tailor to have them all shortened to accommodate my height, three had darts put them to show more curve in the waist (illusion, if you ask me) and one of them had the sleeves shortened from long sleeve to 3/4 length. OH MY GOODNESS....these dresses looked fabulous! I wore them all the time after that. Yes a tailor will run about 12-20 per item but it was well worth it since I now wore it more often and didn't feel the need to run out and buy something else.

We also took three pair of pants, surprisingly only one was hemmed to accommodate flats (we bought fabulous platform wedges to go with the others) but the other two were taken in throught he leg to give it a less boxy shape. It accentuated my thinner areas around the knees and then fell to a more relaxed bottom. She put darts in the upper butt area and it made me look like I just had a butt lift!

Yep, the tailor is now my best friend! If I see a dress that I really like but it is too big...I don't care, I will just have it altered to fit me.

Tips: 3/4 sleeves are the most flattering for all women so have the long sleeves altered and they are appropriate for all seasons.

Your dress should hit 2" above the knee for most flattering. If you are 20, you would go 4" above the knee.

Buy cute belts of all widths. They look wonderful worn over dresses or cardigans.

Now, that's what I call a BEST friend! I am short too. I need to find me a tailor!

I highly recommend this website:

ShopYourShape.com

You enter your measurements and it tells you what shape your body is: Straight, Spoon, Curvy, etc. And then it has recommended silhouettes for shirts, pants, and swimsuits.

I'll be honest and say that I was a bit skeptical at first with the shirt shapes, especially since I am "boob-a-licious" as my Mom would say :o:rolleyes: and yet at the same time, since I have no waist, I am a "straight" figure...AND the way that they want you to add visual weight to your bust/shoulder area was like :eek:.

BUT...I have been taking pictures of myself for a long time now and I can say these things about anyone else with big girls and a straight figure...

1. Wider straps on a swim suit or tank top look much better than ones that angle in toward your neck...the angle makes your boobs look HUGE-r while the wider straps are more in keeping with the bust.

2. Visual volume is what we are talking about...a Henley style shirt with the buttons down the upper chest and nothing in the middle will visually add weight to that upper body...help your boobs look nicer and make you appear to have more of a waist...it's crazy but it's true...

So this applies to anything that adds visual interest there...V-necks (for those comfortable in them), sideways gathers (rusching?) at the neckline around the bust with a smoother middle that skims your torso...portrait collars...collars in general...any major neckline detail...with the absence around the waist adds visual weight to the top that helps to give you a waist.

3. Same goes for visual interest in the pants...don't necessarily get big ole pockets...but if you can find a pant that has stitching or other flat pocket details...this adds visual weight without extra fabric that helps to give you the illusion of a waist...A-line skirts do this with actual volume.

Anyway...these are the these that I have learned from looking at this site, taking photographs of myself, and really trying to analyze the results. I'm impressed with the information there.

Anita, you always have the BEST tips! I need to figure out my measurements and find that web site! Thanks!

The last few years I have worn Monokinis that have lots of coverage - it was helpful till I quit smoking and outgrew them all she says with longing..... Since I want any eyes to wander up rather than down, I've resigned myself to bright halter bikini top for XL top - medium to large covered bikini bottoms that are cute not grandma-ish

AND most important The sheer cover up - that can be folded, loosened, more coverage, less coverage - adjust as I go from snorkel boat, to ship to pool!

I have come to mix and match many of these until I can get 10-15 lbs dropped, or tipsy enough on vacation not to care! :D

My most important fashion accessory for traveling florida or carribean is my prized bottles of Niva Gel to eliminate most of the apperance of cellulite before we go!:eek:

When we got married last year on a beach - my hubby said - your friend, she has much lumpier and bumpier legs than you -- I laughed and took the compliment with my Nivea close at hand in my luggage!

I've always used the firming lotion but never the gel. Guess what goes on my grocery list today? :D

I'm loving these tips! Most people say they would love to be my size, but it's truely a pain in the backside to buy clothes. I'm 45, 5'6", 110 lbs and no curves to speak of. I just went through the nightmare of getting a mother of the bride dress that was age appropriate. I was seeing dresses for the 20-30 age group and ones that made me look frumpy. Shopping with my daughter was hilarious. We can wear the same clothes, but she forgets I'm 23 years older than she is. OMG! The dresses she picked out! My DH took matters in his own hands and went dress shopping with me.:eek: He's a huge, weathered cowboy that looked so out of place flipping through racks of dresses. We scored! The first dress he picked out is the PERFECT dress! He is now going shopping with me all the time. We were also looking for cruise dresses and discovered that metallics are not my friend. They shine more on the bumps, great for my bustline, but also announced that I had a baby belly. Oh well, live and learn. Still looking for a long one shoulder dress for my cruise.

Archived