Didn't Get to Go to Port!

cgast89

Booked our week-long Carnival cruise specifically so we could go to Grand Cayman but were unable to tender due to high winds. I'm aware that this happens but am curious as to why there's not a back-up port of call for Grand Cayman? Anyone know?? We were soooo disappointed & thought the $12.50 credit (port taxes) we were given was a joke. UGH

Sometimes they port at Spotts on the other side of the island. Don't know the pecking order to who gets to tender in there. Last time I was in Grand Cayman there was a RCI, an X and one other ship at Spotts. I believe there had been 6 ships that were suppose to be in port that day.

there are alternates, but the decision has to be made over a day in advance because of the distances involved - I've had that happen and the pass' were just as unhappy believing the decision had been made too soon.... scheduled to go to Cayman and not Coz', we changed to Coz' when reports were no tendering for past two days. When wx in Coz was very nice, many thought Cayman must also be nice and they had been wronged . . . .

Sometimes you can't win .... also the docking schedules for most ports is set far in advance and getting a last minute 'parking spot' if you want to think of it that way is not easy. On my ship, we had to search for unused spots for our R&R and had to pick from what was available and not just go where and when we wanted....

Booked our week-long Carnival cruise specifically so we could go to Grand Cayman but were unable to tender due to high winds. I'm aware that this happens but am curious as to why there's not a back-up port of call for Grand Cayman? Anyone know?? We were soooo disappointed & thought the $12.50 credit (port taxes) we were given was a joke. UGH

Usually not getting into a port is a fairly last minute thing- certainly not more than a few hours. Is that really realistic to make it to another port- the next closest port might be a couple hundred miles away.

You don't just show up at another port. There has to be dock space arranged, harbor pilots, immigration officials and dock walkers scheduled as well as many other things. I imagine you would want excursions as well.

Then, the issue of what it costs to divert. Higher speeds to the new port, and to get back on schedule? More fuel.

In Ocober 2010 on the Carnival Liberty we couldn't tender out at Grand Cayman because of high winds. The captain chartered another port for us. So next day we pulled into Costa Maya instead. I think it all depends on your Captain as to whether they make up a port of call.

Was this last Tuesday? On Celebrity we couldn't get into Georgetown so they took us to another Grand Cayman port about 15 minutes away. The port was basically a tender dock in a parking lot. A Carnival ship was there as well, but it looks like 2 or 3 other ships might have been turned away. Shuttles were arranged. They did a great job.

Archived