Best way to get to Rum Point.

flatman

Really? I was hoping I could just grab a taxi...

A taxi would be at least $80 US each way (it's a 45 minute drive from town) and you'd have to prearrange the return trip (and keep your fingers crossed) since there are no taxis waiting in the area (unlike Seven Mile Beach).

A rental car is the cheapest and most reliable way to get to Rum Point. Trust me.

There is also the option of taking one of the excursions that includes a stop there.

There is also the option of taking one of the excursions that includes a stop there.

The only option I've seen to get there is to also go to Stingray City. We've been there twice and don't care to go again. I don't know why there aren't excursions going over there. How many times can one swim with the stingrays?!?!?!? :confused: :rolleyes:

The only option I've seen to get there is to also go to Stingray City. We've been there twice and don't care to go again. I don't know why there aren't excursions going over there. How many times can one swim with the stingrays?!?!?!? :confused: :rolleyes:

A quick google finds:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/CaymanIslandJeepTour.htm

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanIslandsTour.htm

There's likely more, since I only spent about 20 seconds on the search, or there's been places that will do custom island tours mentioned here before.

There's also the waverunner trips, that do still go to Stingray City before Rum Point, but at least the mode of transport is different. :D

A quick google finds:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/CaymanIslandJeepTour.htm

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanIslandsTour.htm

There's likely more, since I only spent about 20 seconds on the search, or there's been places that will do custom island tours mentioned here before.

There's also the waverunner trips, that do still go to Stingray City before Rum Point, but at least the mode of transport is different. :D

When I checked (yes, with Google) a few (maybe more) months ago, the second one wasn't offered. They must have added that recently. If we could find another couple, that would work.

The first one, the private Jeep tour, you need 20 people to book it.

20 people? Really? Was that what they said when you emailed? I've seen the jeeps on the roads with way fewer people than that in them...

You could always try the roll call for your cruise, see if there's anyone else interested...I know quite a few people that have organized excursions that way.

a agree a taxi would be crazy $$$$

and renting a car takes some time with gas and lines at the rental car place

I used buget once and they picked me up from port and dropped me but i had alot more time than you have

I know they have a BOAT ferry that goes there and i think its like $10 per way

check on google you should be able to find it... just take a bus to were ever the ferry leaves for $2

I also did an excursion and took a jet ski there spent the day and came back while on vaca

I got the excursion for like $50 i think and i used discount excursions .com

check them out

a agree a taxi would be crazy $$$$

and renting a car takes some time with gas and lines at the rental car place

I used buget once and they picked me up from port and dropped me but i had alot more time than you have

I know they have a BOAT ferry that goes there and i think its like $10 per way

check on google you should be able to find it... just take a bus to were ever the ferry leaves for $2

I also did an excursion and took a jet ski there spent the day and came back while on vaca

I got the excursion for like $50 i think and i used discount excursions .com

check them out

The ferry got blown away with Ivan in 2004 and hasn't been seen since...:eek:

When I checked (yes, with Google) a few (maybe more) months ago, the second one wasn't offered. They must have added that recently. If we could find another couple, that would work.

The first one, the private Jeep tour, you need 20 people to book it.

The second choice has been there a while because I tried for it in November but they said it wasn't available on that day (don't know if it was booked already or never available).

We ended up going with Cayman Safari which should have had a half hour stop at Rum Point but that had to be cut out due to lack of time because of time zone mix up and waiting on other cruisers who didn't show up.:(:( You could either take standard tour with Cayman Safari, which is what we opted for, or customized tour. The standard tour included stops at Pedro St James historic site, Botanic Park to see blue Iguana and lunch at Miss Vivines as well as tour round east end of island.

I also had a quote of $69 per hour for two people from Majestic Tours or if you can get a group to go from your roll call they have a bigger van which would probably be less expensive.

The second choice has been there a while because I tried for it in November but they said it wasn't available on that day (don't know if it was booked already or never available).

We ended up going with Cayman Safari which should have had a half hour stop at Rum Point but that had to be cut out due to lack of time because of time zone mix up and waiting on other cruisers who didn't show up.:(:( You could either take standard tour with Cayman Safari, which is what we opted for, or customized tour. The standard tour included stops at Pedro St James historic site, Botanic Park to see blue Iguana and lunch at Miss Vivines as well as tour round east end of island.

I also had a quote of $69 per hour for two people from Majestic Tours or if you can get a group to go from your roll call they have a bigger van which would probably be less expensive.

$69 per hour? I know lawyers cheaper than that...lol

$69 per hour? I know lawyers cheaper than that...lol

You had already been pre-warned that personal transportation was expensive on the island.

This rate was comparable to the Grand Cayman cruise excursion rate which was unavailable on our date and was suggested as an alternative to the above poster. Custom group tours from within a roll call are common place on certain islands and in Europe but, from my research before our cruise, I didn't find this to be the case on Grand Cayman .

• 2 weeks later...
DW and me are wanting to snorkel at Rum Point, but need to know the best and fastest way to get there. Only there from 10:00am til 6:00pm. Also need to know how we will get back to the ship on time?

Find out what time your last tender will be- Although you may be leaving at 6pm your last tender could be a bit before 6 though

DW and me are wanting to snorkel at Rum Point, but need to know the best and fastest way to get there. Only there from 10:00am til 6:00pm. Also need to know how we will get back to the ship on time?

We rented a Jeep in 2010 and was way cool driving to Rum Point. Waiting in lines for drop off and pick up was a non issue. They actually drove us back to the pier in the Jeep.

BTW I tried using a Visa Gift card to get gas and it would not go through,so take cash or a real Credit Card.

I found this out after I pumped the gas, luckey for me the rental car company added on $20.00 and paid the gas station. I thought I was up a creek without a paddle.:eek:

• 2 months later...

We 're in the same boat as you (no pun intended!). B2B Freedom of the Seas in July. Grand Cayman Excursions were full so I am going with Majestic. All things considering, their pricing is on par with everone else for a private mode of transportation to and from Rum Point. We've done this on a previous cruise and it was by far the best day, it was great to spend several hours there! :)

Definitely rent a car. Also, look at online maps of Grand Cayman before you leave home. There are a couple of ways to get to Rum Point. I haven't done the cross island road, only the one that goes around the East End of the island. I stayed at a resort on the East End for a week last January and went to Rum Point two different days. It's worth the drive, and it's also worth the drive to get there, because you are away from all the traffic and congestion of Georgetown and the Seven Mile Beach area.

Remember, they drive on the left, but I had no problem with that at all.

• 1 month later...
Anyone with experience tell me how long it takes / how many miles?

As I posted earlier in this thread, it's approximately a 45 minute drive to Rum Point from either the port area or from the airport. You can sometimes do it in a bit less, but other times you get stuck behind a dump truck and it takes longer. Assume about 45 minutes as the average, though...

Reef rays and rum point is so worth the $$ with Nativeway Watersports. And its a great price anyway. We did this one last June. They offer a couple extra little surprises you don't get with the cruise line tours. We loved Rum Point so much that we are renting a car and going there for the day during our cruise next week. A car rental is by far the best way to go.

Rum Point is a wonderful beach to visit, but IMHO the snorkeling is not worth the trip! In fact, there really was no snorkeling to speak of when I was there. Someone else might have a different experience, but for me it was not good! I would definately go again. The beach is awesome! There is great snorkeling on GC, but its not here!

Rum Point is a wonderful beach to visit, but IMHO the snorkeling is not worth the trip! In fact, there really was no snorkeling to speak of when I was there. Someone else might have a different experience, but for me it was not good! I would definately go again. The beach is awesome! There is great snorkeling on GC, but its not here!

There is actually great snorkeling located at Rum Point. You just have to know where to find it. Google "Testudo Snorkel Guide".

Archived