Are cruises always full capacity?

kenpyland

I just completed my first cruise over Chirstmas on the Carnival Elation. The boat was full capacity with over 800 kids. The crowds were never overwhelming and the kids were never an issue. My wife and I are celebrating our 25th on the Carnival Magic from April 22 to the 29th.

Question:

Can I expect a slightly less full ship the last week of April because of school, no holiday, etc...?

Thanks in advance for the expert advice.

Full capacity means two passengers per cabin. Holiday cruises like the one you took are over-capacity since many of those kids were occupying upper berths.

All cruise lines sail full or very very close to full. This is why prices are always changing. Sailings when school is in session sail full but will have far fewer kids on them and thus fewer passengers in total even though all cabins are sold.

There is some math none of us have access to that would help answer that question. I'm sure there are sometimes (maybe even often) empty cabins. Many cabins are occupied with two guests...some have three or four staying in a cabin. The guest count can vary even if all cabins are occupied.

I would say that the majority of the cabins are full. The desk always has a sign that says ship is full or sold out. There is no advantage for them to move passengers around.

That considered it can vary according to how many cabins have more than 2 passengers.

Many cruises are not a full capacity. It's cool when they're not because the lines are not crazy on lido deck at lunch. But, the ship will not be far from capacity if the cruise lines can help it! They want the ship full to get those dollars from you for drinks!!!...and pictures!!! :D

One thing I realized pretty quickly, if you book the Early Saver rate you better do it for a "standard in all respects" booking category. I booked a funky room and have no chance of the price being any less than I paid.

Still got a great rate.:)

Question:

Can I expect a slightly less full ship the last week of April because of school, no holiday, etc...?

Thanks in advance for the expert advice.

Yes you can most likely because of the absence of a lot of kids, but also most likely ALL CABINS WILL BE FILLED. :)

One thing I realized pretty quickly, if you book the Early Saver rate you better do it for a "standard in all respects" booking category. I booked a funky room and have no chance of the price being any less than I paid.

Still got a great rate.:)

It's my understanding that if the price in the next higher category drops lower than what you paid you can apply for an upgrade to that category, so don't give up hope!:D

How did you know there were over 800 kids on the ship? The ship only holds just over 2,000 passengers. There may be less kids the end of April. Spring Break should be over by then. There will always be kids on a cruise. The ship should have the same number of passengers just replace the kids with adults. Have a fun cruise.

How did you know there were over 800 kids on the ship? The ship only holds just over 2,000 passengers. There may be less kids the end of April. Spring Break should be over by then. There will always be kids on a cruise. The ship should have the same number of passengers just replace the kids with adults. Have a fun cruise.

All you have to do is ask the staff, they know exactly how many are onboard (and sometimes the CD will announce it).

When I Sailed on the Sensation last month I ran into the guy that checked us in on the elevator he told me that they all get 2 cruises per year on a stand by situation....they had 2 cabins left and they were filled with Port Canaveral Agents....

so as a guess any available rooms would be filled before they sail with standby employees

Number of PAX is never static. There are solo cruisers and many cabins with 3,4, and even 5 PAX in a cabin. You can't say there are the same number of PAX on every sailing.

When I Sailed on the Sensation last month I ran into the guy that checked us in on the elevator he told me that they all get 2 cruises per year on a stand by situation....they had 2 cabins left and they were filled with Port Canaveral Agents....

so as a guess any available rooms would be filled before they sail with standby employees

I agree, we had a lady who was checking us in one time and she had her bags with her ready to sail as long as there was a cabin open.

On one cruise we had a couple in our "group" who didn't make it on the cruise because the wife broke her ankle on the way to the airport. They had the cabin next to our's. It was a 10 day cruise and it sat empty most of the cruise until they moved some folks into it who had a plumbing problem with their cabin.

This summer my DD and her family were cruising on the Enchantment to Bermuda. We had a cruise booked the next month for my bday so didn't book this cruise with them. 4 days before they were to sail I was having sever cruise withdrawl and I called the cruise line and they still had a good number of insides available....we got a cabin for a GREAT price...it helped booking last minute as no air was needed...we live a 2 hours drive from Baltimore :D

Elation: Passengers 2040 - 2634

Maybe the explanations are confusing?? Every cabin can be full, as 2 is full. If they put 4 in every quad or 5, etc.. then it shows as say 115%. Carnival said during earnings it averages 104% capacity (because of the extra pax in cabins over 2).

Off season, it can be full, but will NOT have the same number of pax.

Is there a way to look and see how many rooms are available, without going through a booking and selecting different criteria?

No way to see it, unless you are a TA (or work for Carnival) and then you still don't see all the cabins. Proprietary information.

Is there a way to look and see how many rooms are available, without going through a booking and selecting different criteria?

I doubt it. Even if you go through the booking etc. process online, you're not going to see all of the cabins that are available in a cabin category - you're only going to see the ones that are available for purchase online, excluding group bookings that still have empty space, any cabins that have been set aside for travel agents, and the like.

OP, count on the ship sailing with all cabins occupied. You'll see fewer kids (but not no kids) when school is in session but Carnival will still do everything they can to put someone in every cabin.

Archived