Big Screen on Rotterdam

iflyrc5

We were on the Rotterdam in Jan 2010 just after they had taken out the pool and added the Big Screen. On that 33 day cruise the big screen was not used much at all. Just wondering if it is being better utilized now. We will be on during the Super Bowl and wondering if the game will be shown on the Big Screen.

For Superbowl, Sure...... of course, it will be wonderful fun to show the game and have superbowl party.

But, at other times, do they play loud music/movies etc on the screen? It is routinely used and is it loud and disturbing to those who'd like to have a quiet conversation or enjoy the back deck without commotion?

I would agree with Sail, I was on the Rotterdam in November for a TA and about all they had on the big screen was video and music during the day, and in the evening it would be some concert or another. Hopefully they would show the superbowl on it but I can't say for sure as I haven't been on the Rotterdam at that time of the year. I was not real impressed by the big screen and the way it was utilized. They could have shown some first run movies or something and that would have been an improvement in my opinion.

We used to love Rotterdam and sailed her a number of times but crossed her off our list after they made those extreme changes to what was once such a beautiful feature......

We like aft/outdoor pool and won't sail a ship that does not have one.

I definitely do not want to put up with noise/loud anything from the big screen.

We used to love Rotterdam and sailed her a number of times but crossed her off our list after they made those extreme changes to what was once such a beautiful feature......

I definitely do not want to put up with noise/loud anything from the big screen.

I sailed on her before they removed the aft pool.

I have to say it was a VERY nice spot and don't really understand why they would replace it with a big screen TV.

What a shame. :(

I do not think they are putting the big screen on any of the other ships. They are on the Rotterdam and the Veendam. I know they do not plan on Veeendamming the other "S" class ships. No Lazy River and no big screen. I was on the Rotterdam a year ago last summer when she sailed to Alaska and I liked the ship but not the big screen too much. It was rather chilly on the AFT Deck and not too many spent a lot of time out there. People would go into the HOT Tubs and run to the inside when they got out of the hot tubs/

We'll be on Maasdam in March and had been wondering if they made the aft pool into a Retreat like Veendam... and now I know they didn't. I have mixed feelings about some of this but I'm sure we'll enjoy whatever is there as I believe that it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship:)

We enjoyed Movies Under the Stars on Ruby Princess on a transAtlantic. It was cozy to lie back in the big heavy cushioned lounger topper that they put out at night, and snuggle into the warm blankets they brought out for evening movies, munch on fresh popped popped corn and see recent movies (which is something we don't often get to do at home.) But we didn't like the loud stuff that seemed to be on the screen all day and really felt that it could be done differently - and that HAL would do it better. But we won't experience it this time on Massdam... maybe another time if HAL keeps it.

I don't even like the loud music they often play ('Screech' & the HAL Cats) by the aft pool so I certainly would not like the big screen. I have been on both Veendam and Rotterdam but luckily it was before they ruined them.

It is the same in pubs in the UK and bars here. Why do we always have to have TV or loud music everywhere?

Also, please do not assume that everyone is interested in Super Bowl. I certainly am not. Is it not on the TV in the cabins for people to watch there?

I don't even like the loud music they often play ('Screech' & the HAL Cats) by the aft pool so I certainly would not like the big screen. I have been on both Veendam and Rotterdam but luckily it was before they ruined them.

It is the same in pubs in the UK and bars here. Why do we always have to have TV or loud music everywhere?

Also, please do not assume that everyone is interested in Super Bowl. I certainly am not. Is it not on the TV in the cabins for people to watch there?

Yes, the big games are usually shown on cabin TV's if the signal is on the ship at all.

Think of it as World Cup...... that is what it is to Americans. :)

Surely when you sail a cruise ship in the Caribbean in February, you expect there to be many Americans. If you are so 'unlucky' to be on during Superbowl, you are going to be exposed to our excitement over the game..... same as many (most ?) are in Europe for your football. Try to be a good sport about it. :D

Many (most ?) want to enjoy the party HAL puts on for the big game and enjoy it with their new friends far more than each of us sitting alone in our cabins. Seems to me we see pubs, bars, restaurants, other public places loaded with fans in Europe watching sporting events together, celebrating and enjoying. Americans like to do the same thing. Seeing there will be a large percentage of Americans on the ship, HAL tries hard to provide a fun experience.

You don't have to enjoy it but sadly you will have to tolerate it if you are aboard for Superbowl. (Assuming the ship is able to get the signal in order to show the game.)

The dates are available on the internet so it's easy to avoid by a casual google search. Before booking a February Caribbean cruise, check to see the date for Superbowl.

Try Princess. I think many of their ships have it.

You most definitely should be able to enjoy the things you really like.

Not all cruise lines should have all things...... it's great there are choices. IMO

We were recently on the Rotterdam, were in the retreat area a few times and barely noticed the big screen. There were some visuals on it, but no sound when we were out there. We also didn't even notice it until we looked for it. We still consider the Rotterdam our favorite ship, but would not want to see/hear movies or loud sound in the retreat area.

I am with you on this. I have written off Rotterdam and Veendam because of the removal of the seaview pool and the mess that is out there now. I don't like loud music or videos out there. I don't even like the look of the back ends anymore. I told Hal so in a letter after the summer TA and Baltic cruises I did in 2011. Definitely a writeoff.

The big screen looks really tacky when watching the ship sailing away in the evening from the shore. I recently saw the Rotterdam's big screen go by from San Diego Bay long after sunset, and the screen was soooo big and bright. I found myself comparing it to a Disney ship.

Too bad they just can't put in a new HDTV projector in the Queen's Lounge.

igraf

...A real tacky looking screen and very disturbing if you want to relax outside along the pool that ain't there anymore....

Archived