Going down the toliet

tyrod15

Heard from a friend who just got back from Western Caribbean that the most important thing to take to port with me is a roll of toilet paper. She said many places she went did not have toilet paper. Was she just unlucky or is this a real problem in Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, etc? :eek:

I haven't been to anywhere that has no toilet paper available, but there were places where the locals were selling pieces of toilet paper to the tourists as we went into the toilets There was no toilet paper in the toilets and if you didn't have your own, you had to pay them $1 to buy some. Nancy

I haven't been to anywhere that has no toilet paper available, but there were places where the locals were selling pieces of toilet paper to the tourists as we went into the toilets There was no toilet paper in the toilets and if you didn't have your own, you had to pay them $1 to buy some. Nancy

The $1 they were requesting was 1 Peso, equivalent to $.07 US cents - although they do appreciate those tourists who don't know it.

Some of the places had toilet paper, but asked that you not flush it as the systems could not carry it off. They had a trash can for it. These were in the ruins areas.

Nancy

eeeeeeeeeeeeew could you imagine if someone got sick:eek::eek: YUCK!! I'm too 'nice nasty' for that!:p

I always carry tissue in my purse when traveling. And every place I have been to in Mexico required you to use a trash can for the toilet paper. Heck even here in so cal if you go to the swap meet the trash cans in the restrooms are full of toilet paper.

I always carry tissue in my purse when traveling. And every place I have been to in Mexico required you to use a trash can for the toilet paper. Heck even here in so cal if you go to the swap meet the trash cans in the restrooms are full of toilet paper.

Swap meets? same thing at McDonald's in San Diego County. :mad:

go see the world you would be surprised.....the squat and rinse is used all over the world.

Especially on an old, near-third-class train in an unheated WC traveling in winter thru eastern Europe, squatting next a to LARGE man named Vladislav, who happens to be constipated and his wife Zlata, who happens to be squatting next to me.

It becomes a most CHILLY experience, not with my WC mates, more with the fresh, freezing air rushing up one's butt. Enough where one may decide against eating for days.

Ok, I've always been confused about the people who charge for the bathrooms. I've only seen this in mexico and once in Los Angeles.

DD had to go to the bathroom in cabo. Found one that was normal. As we walk in i hear hey you need to pay. I was so annoyed as I looked at the lady with toliet paper. My thought was here we go again. I had no change and dh had already went into the mens bathroom without being stopped.

the lady said are you going to the bathroom? I said my dd is. She said well you need to pay as she hands me toliet paper which was my 3 squares. I sighed loud cuz i didnt have any change. then she she hears me call for my dh. Then she says doesnt he need paper? I said he doesnt need any paper and handed her a $1 and said give me more paper.

so my question is are you paying for paper, use of the bathroom or both? The nextday in cabo i took some extra paper in a ziploc incase we ate some food that makes you run to the bathroom-lol!

Some of the ladies charging fopr the bathrooms can be rude and insistant so wasnt sure. I mostly ran into this when i was a kid and we traveled to mexico

eeeeeeeeeeeeew could you imagine if someone got sick:eek::eek: YUCK!! I'm too 'nice nasty' for that!:p

In all of the cities that the cruise lines go to on the West Coast of Mexico, almost all of the restaurants/bars/stores that you go to with the possible exception of the top hotels, you can't throw the TP down the toilet. It clogs the toilets.

BathroomTP.jpg

Ok, I've always been confused about the people who charge for the bathrooms. I've only seen this in mexico and once in Los Angeles.

DD had to go to the bathroom in cabo. Found one that was normal. As we walk in i hear hey you need to pay. I was so annoyed as I looked at the lady with toliet paper. My thought was here we go again. I had no change and dh had already went into the mens bathroom without being stopped.

the lady said are you going to the bathroom? I said my dd is. She said well you need to pay as she hands me toliet paper which was my 3 squares. I sighed loud cuz i didnt have any change. then she she hears me call for my dh. Then she says doesnt he need paper? I said he doesnt need any paper and handed her a $1 and said give me more paper.

so my question is are you paying for paper, use of the bathroom or both? The nextday in cabo i took some extra paper in a ziploc incase we ate some food that makes you run to the bathroom-lol!

Some of the ladies charging fopr the bathrooms can be rude and insistant so wasnt sure. I mostly ran into this when i was a kid and we traveled to mexico

You are not only paying for the tp, but also the soap, paper towels and for them to clean the bathroom. But, unfortunately, they are usually clean the toilets with the same dirty towel.:eek:

Charging for toilet use is not only in Mexico, but also in some European countries.

Some of the places had toilet paper, but asked that you not flush it as the systems could not carry it off. They had a trash can for it. These were in the ruins areas.

Nancy

Once you get outside of the cities, much of the plumbing is still terra cotta which clogs easily. Also, with frequent earthquakes some areas have semi-broken pipes where the pipes still flow but don't meet up with each other flush, so that TP can get caught in between the pipes and clog up the whole system. I know it's been 'no flush TP' in Guatemala, Belize, Honduras and parts of Costa Rica I have visited.

I think this thread is full of crap!

You may think so but everything that has been mentioned occurs on lots of the islands, both eastern and western and in places in Europe. So get over yourself.

Many places without it. Some awful bathrooms. On the way to Tulum they stop at a tourist trap and no paper was available.

In Europe some br's were holes in the floor with bars. You plant your feet on either side and let go. GROSS! I've also been on trips where the ladies line is very long and no line at the men's so I went in the men's.

Archived