Liberty Cruise Director

PattyG12

We were on the Liberty TA, 10/29 to 11/12, and the CD was Mike Hunnerupp. Personally, I didn't like him, but the Activities Manager, Rich, was fantastic. Friends of ours were on a more recent sailing on Liberty, and they thought Mike was terrific. I hope that means he is getting better....:)

Mike was still on the Liberty during the New Years sailing. We've had him 3 times now, and we felt he's always been calm, consistent and capable. He doesn't have a shtick and doesn't sing, but he's a nice guy, and I've never seen him try to get a laugh at a passenger's expense.

I agree 100% with Karen. We were on the same cruise and Rich was pretty amazing. In fairness, Mike was sick during a portion of the cruise. I don't think that made much difference as far as his lack of abilities as CD but it gave Rich an opportunity to shine, which he did. We hope he can become a CD in the near future as he added a spark of life to the activities.:)

Larry

Meh. I've been on Navigator twice with Mike Hunnerup and once on Liberty with him and wasn't impressed. It just felt like if you took the "$" events and seminars out of the cruise compass that there wasn't much happening. I like to do trivia and each day there was a morning trivia, an afternoon trivia and an evening musical trivia, and that was it for trivia. On a five night cruise there was only one or two sessions of karaoke. I did Freedom a month before Liberty and there were a lot more scheduled events and Graham Seymour was much more visible than Mike Hunnerup.

Of course, with all that being said, my lack of affection for Hunnerup won't prevent me from going on Liberty again in a month! :D

I've had Mike a couple of times and I feel the same way... I'm surprised that they keep promoting him to bigger ships... I think his talents and personality are better suited for a smaller audience on a smaller ship.

Agree with most of the previous comments. We were on Liberty TA with Karen (keywest) and Larry (LarryL), and Mr. Hunnerup was not the well polished and infectious CD we have seen on other ships. As noted, he was out of action for a few days due to illness (allergic reaction we were told), so that may have had something to do with his energy, or lack thereof. While Rick did an admirable job filling in, his demeanor on disembarkation in Ft. Laduredale left a lot to be desired - he was at the exit on deck 1. Can only surmise he was probably more than frustrated with the whole process that morning.

We would still sail Liberty regardless who the CD and AD is - its a fantastic ship.

All that being said about Mike, for me personally, the CD or AM makes no real difference in my overall cruising experience. BUT, I do think that when there is a fabulous CD it definitely adds a certain amount of spark to a cruise. I would never book a cruise based on the CD.

And a big HELLO to my fellow LOST-ies!!! It's good to "see" you all.....:D

• 1 month later...

Surprised at all the negative comments about Mike Hunnerup. Just got of the Liberty 02/13/12-02/18/12 cruise and thought Mike did a really good job. He was also very approachable as he waited outside the theater before most shows greeting everyone as they came in and taking pictures with many people

I did a B2B on Liberty a couple of weeks ago and on the first leg for myself I enjoyed Mike... On the second leg it was the exact same script as the first... "to the gentleman who lost the Rolex in the theatre last evening.......... It's 10:30..."

Dad said this was the exact same as their TA on Navigator with him last April... Unfortunately he didn't seem to customize his 'act' for the audience or at least change it up a bit :(

Surprised at all the negative comments about Mike Hunnerup. Just got of the Liberty 02/13/12-02/18/12 cruise and thought Mike did a really good job. He was also very approachable as he waited outside the theater before most shows greeting everyone as they came in and taking pictures with many people

We cruise next week Feb 27th. Is he still going to be onboard because I heard he was going on Vaca.

On the same cruise...while we didn't really interact with him, we were incredibly disappointed with the activities on board, and if he has any hand in planning them...I can't say too much positive about his job as a CD. If he doesn't have a hand in planning them, I apologize for that assessment.

Archived