Luggage Allowance

vxv0409

Hello!

I am planning a cruise out of Barcelona so I will have to take an international flight to get there and back.

I am *planning* on taking 1 piece of checked luggage, one backpack and one carry on bag. Is this permitted on NCL? Since it's 3 different things I wasn't sure. In addition - will airlines allow me to carry on a backpack and a carry on? Or does a backpack not constitute a personal item?

cruise lines don't really have a baggage piece allowance. You have to worry more about the airline. You are allowed to carryon ONE piece of carry on sized luggage and ONE personal item (i.e. ladies purse, small shoulder bag etc.) You need to read the small print on the airline's website to determine if your carry-on pieces fit within their guidelines.

It all depends on how big your backpack is. If it is a day pack size I wouldn't worry about it. For international travel I usually have a very small shoulder duffle which holds my books, blowup neck pillow, bag of tolietries and other light stuff that wouldn't fit in my checked bag. (I only use a 21" suitcase.)

Remember, if its too heavy for you to manage you've overpacked! If you can't lift your suitcase it will be difficult for you to navigate public transport or other means of accessing tranport.

Hello!

I am planning a cruise out of Barcelona so I will have to take an international flight to get there and back.

I am *planning* on taking 1 piece of checked luggage, one backpack and one carry on bag. Is this permitted on NCL? Since it's 3 different things I wasn't sure. In addition - will airlines allow me to carry on a backpack and a carry on? Or does a backpack not constitute a personal item?

Any idea what airline you will be flying? Most US airlines will allow one carry-on bag and one personal item (usually a purse, laptop, camera bag) per person. If the airline deems it too large for a second carry-on, they will likely gate-check it, so make sure there is nothing very important or fragile inside (medications, laptop, expensive items, etc) and that it is packed well. In business class, most American carriers would allow a small backpack as a "personal item" (I tend to bring a large tote bag as my second in BC and am rarely questioned), but in economy it depends on the gate agents and flight attendants that particular day. On the other hand, most European carriers will allow only a single carry-on and there are limits on it's weight as well, and they can be very strict about it. For example, on Lufthansa an economy passenger is allowed 1 carry-on, limited to 8kg (less than 18 lbs). As a business class pax on LH, my two carry-ons were questioned and weighed, and in business class on Brussels Air, one of my two permitted carryons had to be repacked for even less weight as directed by the check-in agent (I stowed stuff in my checked luggage). Check the airline's website for restrictions..

Robin

Hello!

For the airlines, think one piece in the overhead, and other under the seat in front you. My backpack fits under a seat but yours may not. From my experience, the airlines are pretty flexible, but you never know.

I always use a backpack as my personal item since it fits perfectly under the seat in front of me. I don't check a bag so it is important to make sure I can bring everything I need and have some spare room. :)

The ship will let you bring on 4 checked pieces, but if you can check 4 and carry 4, then if you can stuff it in your room go for it.

You definitely need to check with the airline you will be flying, because for one person it seems you may be bringing too much to carry on with you. If you will be traveling with someone else, and are splitting those carryons between two of you you might be okay.

But definitely check with the airline you choose.

Hello!

NCL does not care how much luggage you bring.

I have taken a number of international flights on at least 6 carriers over the last few years and all have accepted my backpack as my personal item. However check your carrier(s) website to make sure your carry on is within their limits. Most American carriers accept a 22" suitcase as a carry-on, but some international ones do not. In addition several international carriers have weighed my carry on so be sure it is within their weight limits.

For the airlines, think one piece in the overhead, and other under the seat in front you. My backpack fits under a seat but yours may not. From my experience, the airlines are pretty flexible, but you never know.

I have a medium sized backpack that I count as my personal item (purse) and I also take a large carry on. Never a problem. Most airlines will also let you check a bag for free on international flights. Read the baggage info of whatever airline you choose. All of these are also fine with Ncl.

Europe has stricter rules for carry-on, so if you decide to spend an extra week for sightseeing and book a flight within Europe then weight and amounts apply. That doesn't apply to international flts, just those within Europe.

Archived