Regent Pre stay hotels in Barcelona

dfdub

My wife and I are taking our first RSSC cruise this fall from Barcelona to Athens. We have had relatives visit Barcelona before and thought we would love to do an extra day or two before the cruise departure. It seems to be the right idea to stay in one the same hotels that Regent uses to avoid the double unpacking. Does anyone know what hotels are used by RSSC in Barcelona??

At the risk of being enormously presumptive; I'd recommend taking the Regent credit for not using the hotel and make your own arrangements to your liking. On our recent BCN-DXB cruise we took the Regent credit and it more than paid for our taxi Airport to hotel; 3 night stay and taxi hotel to pier. Just a thought.

Greg

Sailing on Mariner 4/2/2012 out of Barcelona and that is exactly what we did also....go to ports section of CC and get info on hotels in Barcelona...lots of great places....we are staying 2 nites at Hotel 1898

Regent just charges tooo much and then you end up on a big bus with other buses all arriving at the ship at the same time! Yiks that is not a pretty picture.

I would like to add my vote to the recommendation of the prior two posters. There are gazillion of well located hotels in Barcelona, so the hotel market is very competitive. Transport from city center to the port is very inexpensive. Much better if you take teh credit and go to a hotel you select.

Thank you all!!! Interesting that everyone feels that the better deal is do it on your own.

My TA says that she can get a pretty good deal in BCN so we may just go with that.

I checked online to see what transfers were going for and they aren;t bad at all. May just be the best thing to do it ourselves.... and where is the benefit with "all inclusive" when you get to items like this??

I agree with everyone else. We stayed at Hotel Monte Carlo in Barcelona this past summer. It was rated #1 out of all hotels in Barcelona on Trip Advisor. I see now that it has slipped to the #2 position. It was right on La Rambla and a 5-10 minute taxi ride to the port. The port is very close to the main part of the city. We arrived at the port and walked right on the ship...no line. Barcelona is a wonderful city and there is so much to see and do there. I highly recommend spending a couple of days there at a minimum. One day we did the hop on hop off bus and got a great overview of the city. Take the credit from Regent and enjoy Barcelona.

My TA now is advising me that Regent is not using Condes any longer for 2012, only the Rey Juan Carlos. I saw that was the "premium" upgraded hotel for Regent. There are plenty of simular hotels to the Condes that would fit in the Regent allowance, so maybe taking the Regent credit would be better. My TA did advise that transfers from BCN airport to the hotel (including luggage) would be about $160.00 US.

So what is the best deal based on past experience??? Regent or go it alone???

This past November we booked an apartment in the Gothic Quarter (right behind the main Post Office building) for three nights and our taxi (for three of us plus luggage) fare was about 30 Euros. Apartment to ship, 12 euros. Just a couple of data points.

Greg

We were on the same trip as Greg and our taxi ride from airport to hotel was similiar. We had 3 suitcases and two wheeled carryons which caused a surcharge of 10 Euros so total for trip from airport to hotel was about 45 Euros. Taxi driver was very pleasant and was a much more relaxing ride than NYC. We splurged and stayed at the Hotel Artes and love it.

My TA now is advising me that Regent is not using Condes any longer for 2012, only the Rey Juan Carlos. I saw that was the "premium" upgraded hotel for Regent. There are plenty of simular hotels to the Condes that would fit in the Regent allowance, so maybe taking the Regent credit would be better. My TA did advise that transfers from BCN airport to the hotel (including luggage) would be about $160.00 US.

I just googled the Hotel Rey Juan Carlos (had never heard of it). It has a horrible location, away from it all. Dont even consider it. These transfers that your TA is quoting you... are they with Regent? Or with a private transfer? Either way , that price its way out of line, as you can attest by the recent experience of the prior posters.

In answer to your question: Do it on your own. Frankly, you dont even need the help of a TA. Just select a hotel and book online. That simple.

Many of the Barcelona hotels have 800 numbers you can call them directly. I "skype" them so I can talk directly to them. First I read about them on Trip Advisor. It is quite easy. I would rather not leave it up to my TA even though he would be glad to do it.

I am so hesitant even to respond to this. I am on the April 2 cruise from Barcelona, and we are going in 2 days early. I'm with my 2 daughters and spouses, (late 20's, early 30's) and this one's on me. Soooooo, this precruise was of interest to me, given the "included" cost of a hotel for one night OR a credit of $1800 for 3 cabins. SO, I took the credit, and in total, I'm paying $800 less, but am getting us rooms for TWO nights instead of one.. For me, this is great. BUT, I spent 4 times on Priceline and did my research in advance. I booked the only 5* hotel in Ramblas North, and got the Meridien at $150 per night, do the math for 3 cabins for 2 nights. I feel like I am getting away with something, and know we will all have a great time.

For the poster who is concerned about independent booking, it all depends on whether you would just rather not bother with it all. Since it is a famly trip for me, I bother every step of the way, including air, where I saved another $800 by booking on my own because there was that fee for the "deviation" from their airport. Now I don't have to pay that, because I didn't use Regent air

I love that Regent will take you from home to ship and back again at a cost......if that is what you want and need. You may not, and would prefer a portal to portal thing. So long as they give me a choice on these things (BUT no longer whether excursions are included) I am sticking with them!

Jhp,

You're a VERY smart lady! You did great! I love using Priceline. My parents stayed at the Meridien a few years ago and loved it. They're going back to Barcelona in a few months , so I'll share with them that Priceline is using Le Meridine for their 5 stars.

Your kids are lucky! Enjoy your cruise!!

A taxi from the airport for two people and three pieces of luggage was 32 Euro's (in November, 2011). I definately recommend taking the credit and doing your own transfer. In addition to the credit, you'll save money by taking a taxi:)

We were on the same trip as Greg and our taxi ride from airport to hotel was similiar. We had 3 suitcases and two wheeled carryons which caused a surcharge of 10 Euros so total for trip from airport to hotel was about 45 Euros. Taxi driver was very pleasant and was a much more relaxing ride than NYC. We splurged and stayed at the Hotel Artes and love it.

DW and I are on Regent for the TA in March. Noticed you stayed at the Hotel Arts. We are staying 3 extra days there post cruise. Any thoughts on the hotel would be appreciated.

Archived