Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

We usually cruise on Regent, and we've always had a muster drill with roll call within a hour or two of sailing on day one. They also have at least one crew only emergency drill where passenger service is suspended for a half hour or so.

I'm surprised there is such variability within the industry. When was that last time anyone was on a commercial plane flight, and the cabin attendants went through the safety info halfway into the flight?

Its hard to believe that I can go buy a 20 dollar fish finder that tells me the depth of the water around me when I go fishing, yet we have a modern cruise ship hitting a rock and almost completely sinking. Surely this ship has some sort of sonar to indicate water depth. Maybe electrical problems knocked out the navagation tools on the ship and she was unaware of the rock. If so, a complete redesign should be done on all ships to ensure the navagation system is always working.

I thought exactly the same. We had a depth sounder on our $5000 cruiser.

The news is confirming there are two people, male and female, on the ship but stranded until light. Lets hope that ship stays stuck where she is until everyone onboard get be rescued.

Yes thanks I found it now. The part about Captain being arrested has been widly spread but running with money that was a new one??

I just looked at the twitter feed on the blog and someone asked the same question. He said the information came from the father of a crew member. The daughter supposedly told her father. Too much he said, she said for me. Time will tell...

I have never worked on ships with a flag of Convenience.

I have, Liberian flag, and every deck officer on board, Master, Mate, Second Mate and Third Mate had British Master (Foreign-Going) certificates.

My first command, same company, the vessel was Egyptian flag, myself and Mate both British Master (FG). The Second Mate had Egyptian Master and the Third Mate as well.... and he also helf the rank of Commander in the Egyptian Navy.

Was the Egyptian ship up to standard? I thought she was not in many respects but we had all the necessary certificates to say that we were.... and all of them issued by the American Bureau of Shipping!!!!!

The Liberian ship, a former German reefer was one of the best ships I have ever sailed in and was run to the highest standard... well, she did have all British officers on board... except for the Dutch Chief Engineer.

There are good and bad ships under any flag and I've seen more than a few under the US flag that were most definitely not seaworthy yes all USCG approved. I remember one US flag vessel arriving off Bermuda in sinking condition when I was Harbour Master. The Chief Mate on board could not produce a sounding rod to check his tanks and when he finally found one... he had not the slightest idea where the sounding pipes were!!!!

That video does NOT substantiate this. The ship in all likelyhood rounded the point that Concordia did not avoid, and then head more closer to port, definitely the more prudent course.

What route would the Costa Concordia or any large passenger ship take going from Civitavecchia to Savona? And would this normal shipping lane take it in such very close proximity to this island, and to the EAST side of this island instead of to the WEST side?

I'm leaving NYC > ROME in the morning to board Serena @ Civi this Wed. Both myself and my wife have been very excited for this trip for last couple months. But now, feels kind of weird. I know about the odds of this happening twice in the week, but most of the excitement has gone away. Strange ...

When we were on Caribbean Princess, I took a stroll on the deck over the bridge

to discover that (some?) modern ships do indeed have bright orange Black Boxes

BlackBox-7861.jpg

Data should be on Concordia's unit, still suspended in air somewhere?

Point is, easily recovered

They have recovered it!!!!

Oh my gosh, that YouTube is very scary with all the furniture flying around.

Previous posters have already shown that the video is FALSE, it is not the Concordia, it is another ship and this video was posted on YouTube nearly a year ago.

STLPilot, I can completely understand your very mixed feelings about your upcoming cruise. Safe travels to you and your wife, and I hope you will update along the way if you are able to.

Yes, I scan them into the computer as an image and then I email them to myself as an attachment (I send them to my work email address).

That way, I can log into my email at a later date, and go to my 'sent' folder, and retrieve the attachments for any authority that may need them.

Great idea. I'm definitely going to do this.

I don't think that people are defending the operator of the ship, they are simply stating that saying 'If it was an american flagged ship, it wouldn't have happened' is the most idiotic statement of the day.

Agreed!

I think all of us on these boards should take a minute or two to say a prayer for all those (and there families) involved in this tragedy. Being caught up in this wonderful world of cruising... it is hard to imagine that something so tragic could happen. Let's just pray that whatever caused this will come out and be prevented so it can never happen to one of us.

If we can keep politics out of this, could we please keep religion out of it too? Let us all think good thoughts about the victims and the survivors, and hope that the cause comes out and is prevented in future.

The Chief Mate on board could not produce a sounding rod to check his tanks and when he finally found one... he had not the slightest idea where the sounding pipes were!!!!

Well, color him red-faced! That is hard to imagine on a US flagged ship, but I don't dispute your claim. I never used a sounding rod, but used a steel sounding tape on a crank handle much like an oversized tape measure that I would apply chalk to the first 24". I did daily soundings, so you can bet I kept my threaded covers greased up.

I think we should also be mindful that there could/would be people who know someone on the ship - or about to join the ship - or left the ship prior to it's current sailing - and could be looking through the threads for any information they can - and get upset at some of the speculation/facts - which we all know -sadly get intertwined. We all have our opinions - perhaps a totally new thread for "finger" pointing or debate -could be opened. For all involved it is tragic - and will have far reaching effects for a long time to come. My thoughts ....along with everyone else the world over...are with everyone affected by this terrible tragedy.

my two cents based on sitting in the Captain's chair for a couple of years and investigating officer for a couple of marine 'incidents' but these are just first thoughts

- looking at the overall layout of where the ship was due to go and where it went I have to suspect there was a deviation from the normal course.

- tracks show a deviation to port, toward the island that makes no navigational sense

* my opinion is this was an electronic error. 'Someone' had reprogrammed the GPS tied to the auto-pilot and had fat fingered a course entry (note the one digit error mentioned by another post), This error turned the ship TOWARD the island rather than north leaving the island safely to the west. (maritime cases are loaded with "radar assisted collision" cases, easily expanded to electronic because folks relied TOO hard on the magic of electrons)

* OPINION - SADLY the bridge watch noticed this error WAY too late. (In the vernacular of 'Bridge Resource Management', we call this 'loss of situational awareness) Once detected they notified the Captain who knew they were far off track and getting back on track would cost dollars in either a late arrival or consumption of addition fuel to increase speed.

* OPINION - The Captain then saw a short cut ..... a pass between two islands that was narrow but 'just enough' and allowed for minimal loss of time and distance

* OPINION - He went for it ..... and learned it was not well charted, because no significant vessels sail thru it!!!!! Oops, turned trying to avoid a rock but the stern swing (a ship turns from the back, your car turns from the front) had him catch the rock "full and by" - he's got a SERIOUS problem now.....

* OPINION - Once holed he saw he was close to the port and thought if I can dock the ship the risk is FAR FAR less, so he heads north to the port, only a few miles away while trying to manage the flooding. During this time he tells his crew, do NOT abandon, because I'm going to dock......

* the port entrance faces north and he approaches from the south so he must do a 180 degree turn about. Doing so allows enough of the water taken on thru the MASSIVE hole to shift (free surface effect) and the ship lists significantly to starboard resulting in a decision (or an uncontrolled event) to ground the ship just outside the port entrance. (ship damage control . . . )

My opinion . . . .

Capt BJ,

As a fellow USCG Captain Retired, I see the logic of your scenario. One additional factor that puzzles me, however, is the course change shown on the chart found at http://www.seanews.com.tr/article/ACCIDENTS/74284/Costa-Concordia-accident-navigational-error/ . This chart shows that the course change occurred at 2210 and news reports indicate that passengers were just beginning their meals when the initial event occurred. Since late dining is advertized as beginning at 2100 and early dining is at 1900, there may be some discrepency in the time zones being reported. Do you suppose that reflects the use of Greenwich Mean Time on the charts? If so, and the course change is the result of "fat fingers," then there would be no reports of the disruption during dinner, as such an error would not cause the noise and listing reported by the diners. Either way, I cannot reconcile a collision in the passage between the rocks of Giglio with the dining times.

I know that we will need to wait for the official investigative reports to find out if our speculations have any validity. Knowing how difficult it is on the sea when things start going wrong, I'm just thinking that the Captain and crew must have done something right to have managed the safe evacuation of so many of the passengers, though so sorry to hear of the loss of life.

Regards,

MorganMars

This is NOT footage from the Concordia and you know it. It is immature and irresponsible of you to do this. I've reported you to Cruise Critic and I hope others will, too.

What a jerk you are.

I think he says an indication as to what might be happening. I feel name calling is uncalled for, Maybe you would like to take some time and read the comments about 2 people being rescued on board the ship in stead of debating what may have been,

This is NOT footage from the Concordia and you know it. It is immature and irresponsible of you to do this. I've reported you to Cruise Critic and I hope others will, too.

What a jerk you are.

why is there so much hate against the original poster? sure the poster could have worded it better and given more info instead of "this video gives an indication..." but in no way did they say it was video from the accident iirc.

my two cents based on sitting in the Captain's chair for a couple of years and investigating officer for a couple of marine 'incidents' but these are just first thoughts

- looking at the overall layout of where the ship was due to go and where it went I have to suspect there was a deviation from the normal course.

- tracks show a deviation to port, toward the island that makes no navigational sense

* my opinion is this was an electronic error. 'Someone' had reprogrammed the GPS tied to the auto-pilot and had fat fingered a course entry (note the one digit error mentioned by another post), This error turned the ship TOWARD the island rather than north leaving the island safely to the west. (maritime cases are loaded with "radar assisted collision" cases, easily expanded to electronic because folks relied TOO hard on the magic of electrons)

* OPINION - SADLY the bridge watch noticed this error WAY too late. (In the vernacular of 'Bridge Resource Management', we call this 'loss of situational awareness) Once detected they notified the Captain who knew they were far off track and getting back on track would cost dollars in either a late arrival or consumption of addition fuel to increase speed.

* OPINION - The Captain then saw a short cut ..... a pass between two islands that was narrow but 'just enough' and allowed for minimal loss of time and distance

* OPINION - He went for it ..... and learned it was not well charted, because no significant vessels sail thru it!!!!! Oops, turned trying to avoid a rock but the stern swing (a ship turns from the back, your car turns from the front) had him catch the rock "full and by" - he's got a SERIOUS problem now.....

* OPINION - Once holed he saw he was close to the port and thought if I can dock the ship the risk is FAR FAR less, so he heads north to the port, only a few miles away while trying to manage the flooding. During this time he tells his crew, do NOT abandon, because I'm going to dock......

* the port entrance faces north and he approaches from the south so he must do a 180 degree turn about. Doing so allows enough of the water taken on thru the MASSIVE hole to shift (free surface effect) and the ship lists significantly to starboard resulting in a decision (or an uncontrolled event) to ground the ship just outside the port entrance. (ship damage control . . . )

My opinion . . . .

I am impressed with your analysis ...

Please for the sake of all of us keep this post free of jokes, conjecture and opinions. Thank you fellow posters and cruise critic for posting news from reliable sources. As our thoughts and concerns go out to those involved it is a true service to have one place -- Cruise Critic -- to come to for current available information.

Archived