Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

This may have already been said but Thank God it wasn't on a HAL ship due to the age of the majority of passengers.

My small fishing boat sonar has a water depth alarm, I have it set to alarm at three ft.

Surely cruise ships have water depth alarms. But wouldn't do any good while cruising at maximum speed as the ship was doing. But then you have radar..... but suppose they had that off being so close to shore.

Looks like the Captain of the Concordia is going to be slain a million times over in editorials and internet boards etc. His vilification is not without warrant. No question about that.

There are a lot of other issues that arise with respect to this tragedy, issues that if explored fully may have dramatic impact on ship safety. I hope this mega-lynching does not eclipse or divert the inquiry from fully exploring those as well.

By now this Captain has become a pitiful creature - the more so as he will never benefit from that most universal expression of sympathy. What is about to happen to him I truly wouldn't wish on my enemies. It gives me no relief, and will resurrect none of the victims to climb onboard this extrajudicial dispensation of e-justice.

I suppose though, it is what we do.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

Please know there are others who think as you do on this matter.

On CNN's Anderson Cooper he identified the ship as Costa Serena.

I believe that if the ship was as close as it appeared that is a GROSSLY distasteful show of Lookie Loo mentality!!!

I am praying that it was an optical illusion and that the ship was actually 4 or miles out to sea in the NORMAL route it should be taking!! I'm praying it is.....

Joanie

Oops ! caps lock on . I hope words don't fail me because amid all the horror and the stupidity of this tragedy I have just seen on the evening news a video of a Costa ship ,

a sistership to Concordia , I don't remember the name right now , do something stupid I still don't believe !

The ship has started its cruise by doing a close sail by of the Island of Giglio and has sailed

very close past the capsized Concordia . Is there anyone at Costa cruise lines that has any sense ? They should rename that ship the "Stupido". And the cruiseline could be renamed " Very Stupido" .

unbelievable - wouldn't that be a great way to start off your cruise = viewing the tragedy that just happened and then, as they sail close by, wondering if it would happen to you? I'd probably jump ship:rolleyes:

Just saw that video on CNN and OMG! I could not believe that the ship was sailing right past the ship! Cannot even imagine what the people on the ship were thinking. What the heck is Costa thinking! Couldn't they possibly re-route the ships so as not to go the same route???

A little late... JMO.

Costa Cruises and Carnival Corporation Reiterate Commitment to Support Costa Concordia Passengers and Crew

GENOA, Italy and MIAMI, Jan. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Costa Cruise Lines and its parent company, Carnival Corporation, today confirmed their commitment to provide full support to those passengers, crew and families of the victims of the Costa Concordia grounding.

"I give my personal assurance that we will take care of each and every one of our guests, crew and their families affected by this tragic event. Our company was founded on this principle and it will remain our focus," said Micky Arison, chairman and CEO of Carnival Corporation.

In this spirit, Costa has been arranging lodging and transportation for affected passengers and crew members to return home. Every passenger and crew member or their family is being contacted and the company has offered its assistance and counseling as needed, and will be addressing personal possessions lost on board. Costa has also begun the process of refunding all voyage costs including both passenger cruise fares and all costs incurred while on board. Our senior management teams are working together to determine additional support.

"During this time of tragedy, we are doing our very best to provide the needed support to the Costa Concordia passengers, crew and their families," said Pier Luigi Foschi, chairman and CEO of Costa Cruises.

B

A little late... JMO.

Costa Cruises and Carnival Corporation Reiterate Commitment to Support Costa Concordia Passengers and Crew

GENOA, Italy and MIAMI, Jan. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Costa Cruise Lines and its parent company, Carnival Corporation, today confirmed their commitment to provide full support to those passengers, crew and families of the victims of the Costa Concordia grounding.

"I give my personal assurance that we will take care of each and every one of our guests, crew and their families affected by this tragic event. Our company was founded on this principle and it will remain our focus," said Micky Arison, chairman and CEO of Carnival Corporation.

In this spirit, Costa has been arranging lodging and transportation for affected passengers and crew members to return home. Every passenger and crew member or their family is being contacted and the company has offered its assistance and counseling as needed, and will be addressing personal possessions lost on board. Costa has also begun the process of refunding all voyage costs including both passenger cruise fares and all costs incurred while on board. Our senior management teams are working together to determine additional support.

"During this time of tragedy, we are doing our very best to provide the needed support to the Costa Concordia passengers, crew and their families," said Pier Luigi Foschi, chairman and CEO of Costa Cruises.

B

Are you kidding? Carnival lawyersl won't let Ariston talk about his "founding principles" without legal teams parsing every word.

This could (and should) have been said within hours.

It lacks a certain "sincerity".

Do they know what people spent on board? Are charges in a corporate cloud or on the floor of the sea?

With so many in shock, it seems earlier would have been more compassionate, especially since they admitted early on it was human error and not an act of the gods.

Oops ! caps lock on . I hope words don't fail me because amid all the horror and the stupidity of this tragedy I have just seen on the evening news a video of a Costa ship ,

a sistership to Concordia , I don't remember the name right now , do something stupid I still don't believe !

The ship has started its cruise by doing a close sail by of the Island of Giglio and has sailed

very close past the capsized Concordia . Is there anyone at Costa cruise lines that has any sense ? They should rename that ship the "Stupido". And the cruiseline could be renamed " Very Stupido" .

unbelievable - wouldn't that be a great way to start off your cruise = viewing the tragedy that just happened and then, as they sail close by, wondering if it would happen to you? I'd probably jump ship:rolleyes:

I didn't see that on TV.

But I certainly wouldn't want to sail by a ship where a tradegy had happened.

A little late... JMO.

B

5 days after the tradegy??

Way, way too late.

The ship has started its cruise by doing a close sail by of the Island of Giglio and has sailed very close past the capsized Concordia .
On CNN's Anderson Cooper he identified the ship as Costa Serena.

I am praying that it was an optical illusion and that the ship was actually 4 or miles out to sea in the NORMAL route it should be taking!!

Although the AIS plots that I can find don't start until Costa Serena was past Giglio last night, they're perfectly consistent with her having taken the proper course in the middle of the channel between Giglio and the mainland - see attached.

Costa Serena 2012.01.18.pdf

Well , I hope the sail by of the Serena was an optical illusion and she really was the 4 nautical miles from Giglio that would have put her in the approved shipping lanes in the center of the channel . But ....... in the CBS TV news crew video taken from Giglio she looked awfully close . And the news crew mentioned how she sailed right by the Concordia .

I'm sure we'll hear more about this . Someone will post the full track of the Serena I'm sure .

I hear the company has made a statement about the disaster , 5 days later !

If this is how they operate , no wonder the captain took so long to react to the hole in the boat . And let me say this about that ....... Why no mayday ? What did he think ?

Was he going to just continue to his next stop with a huge hole and a huge rock sticking out of the ship ? Of course not ! Anyone with any sense would understand that when you have a 165 foot hole , with a boulder sticking out ,you have no other course of action but to begin an orderly evacuation while assuring the passengers that the ship will stay

afloat for hours ( which it did) even after the idiot ran it further aground and caused it to tip over . The damn boat ( not Dam ) was 177 feet tall above the water and 26 feet below the water , and considering the depth the captain ran it in , it would still be sitting upright

today in what 40 - 50 feet of water , if that ?

Are you kidding? Carnival lawyersl won't let Ariston talk about his "founding principles" without legal teams parsing every word.

This could (and should) have been said within hours.

It lacks a certain "sincerity".

Agreed.

This is more covering the a$$ets than emergency response.

B

Although the AIS plots that I can find don't start until Costa Serena was past Giglio last night, they're perfectly consistent with her having taken the proper course in the middle of the channel between Giglio and the mainland - see attached.

So it was as I suspected an optical illusion caused by the angle of photography, AND made to seem, by the media to be closer and more dramatic than it was. PHEW!!

Thank You so much for this great info. I was worried that another Captain of their line was a bit uncaring. Good to see he/she was not!!

Joanie

I don't think anyone is going to be driving Ferraris anytime soon.

Couple of new names for the Concordia Captain:

"Captain Wrongway"

"Chicken of The Sea"

Not too make too light of a tragedy, but this guy just set the stereotypical image of Italians back into the limelight.

Im sure we have plenty of people this self absorbed and arrogant right here in the USA...Just visit DC.

When you google Costa Concordia they still are showing ------

Costa Cruise Ships, Costa Concordia Cruise, Cruise Vacation

www.costa***********/usa/costa_concordia.html

Cruise Ships at Costa Cruise. Experience the Costa Concordia cruise ship for a cruise vacation you will never forget.

That is really a commentary on their management. "A cruise vacation you will never forget" indeed.

Archived