Staten Island Ferry

nybumpkin

Hi Folks - A number of you have seen me here posting with suggestions for driving and parking at the port. I've traveled to NYC for meetings off and on for the better part of 25 years, so I'm familiar with the transit system. However, I have a new question. In 10 days, I have to travel down to NYC for a week of meetings. My days are pretty well booked, but I have fairly open nights. I'm thinking that one day after work I would take the subway from Midtown to Downtown and take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry across and back, then take the subway back to Midtown. My plan would be to arrive at the ferry around 7-8 pm, then turn around and return. Does this sound feasible for you NYC natives? I just want to make sure this is a safe plan. I'm very comfortable Midtown, but this is just a little different for me.

Sorry to lob onto your post but can you tell me if their are any hotels either within walking distance or with a shuttle to the SI ferry? We are having trouble due to fashion week finding a hotel for under $300 pre cruise and I wondered if we could stay in/on? Staten Island and then Ferry in for our cruise.

Thanks

Sorry to lob onto your post but can you tell me if their are any hotels either within walking distance or with a shuttle to the SI ferry? We are having trouble due to fashion week finding a hotel for under $300 pre cruise and I wondered if we could stay in/on? Staten Island and then Ferry in for our cruise.

Thanks

I believe I have seen others post on here that the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island will shuttle people to the Ferry---check with the hotel to be sure. There is a Hampton Inn right next door to the Hilton as well.

Thanks

You could try the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn. They're adjacent to each other and although they're not near the ferry they do offer free shuttle service to the ferry (as well as to EWR and the Cape Liberty cruise terminal in Bayonne). You have to arrange for a shuttle time in advance, as their first priorities are usually going to EWR and Cape Liberty.

Am I correct in assuming you're flying into New York? If so, to which airport? The hotels in Staten Island work well if you're flying into EWR, but if you're flying into LGA, there are a couple of decent hotels near that airport.

You might want to try to get the Hilton Newark Penn Station which is a 15 minute ride to midtown.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I had already emails the Hampton inn regarding the shuttle but hadn't gotten a response. If I don't hear soon I will call them to confirm that a shuttle is available. Regarding airport, we haven't got that booked yet. Initial plan was to fly into LGA or JFK (JetBlue has cheap direct flats) and to stay in Manhatten. Since the hotel issu3 has arisen, we have been considering EWK also.

Archived