how clean is your cabin

postmeome

I am right in the middle of the road here. I never make up my bed. I do put our dirty towels into the shower after we are done in the bath. I always keep all our stuff in the med cab, and wash down the sink but never wipe it out. The dirty laundry I put into the suitcases that we put under the bed but if they are going to be worn again they get tossed onto the back of the couch, I hang up the shirts thought. My counters have papers, sunglasses, the refillible pop containers, but makeup, jewelry, camaras go in drawers. So definately not a neat freak but I do try to keep it to a controlable level.:rolleyes:

Not normally a neat freak as it were, but our stateroom attendant on Mariner last year (Clever from Peru) kidded us about leaving him nothing to do in our room. He never skipped it either.

Back on in under two weeks so we hope to say hi!

You have to be somewhat neat in order to survive in the small space of the typical cabin for more than 4 days:eek: Were on ExOS for 10 nights in December and took a collapsible clothes hamper which was very handy. Like other posters, I don't make the bed, but I do pull the covers up and make sure counters etc. are neat (more so that I can find stuff than out of concern for the steward). However, our steward, Findlay, did say that we were his easiest cabin on that trip - we laughed about it and made a crack about being "low maintenance":p I live a particular way at home and I don't change habits because I'm on vacation;)

With such a small space, and having a hubby formerly in the Navy, we keep our room pretty tidy. The rooms are small and just having a few things out of place makes the whole room appear to be a wreck.

We don't make the bed but we do pull up the covers in the morning. If we want new towels we put all of the ones we want exchanged in the shower after we're done showering. We put away anything we don't want the room steward to see/pick up (undergarments, etc.).

Basically we feel the room steward is there to help us enjoy our vacation by taking on chores we would normally do at home, and not to be our personal servant.

I'm a little OCD. I like everything in its place...hate clutter.

When I first read the title to the thread, I though it would bring up the overall cleanliness of the room itself.

How many people bring wipes to clean your room on the first day. I always want to wipe the phone, remote, door handles, etc. We bring slippers because I don't want my feet touching the floor. In all my cruises I can't ever remember them steam cleaning a passenger room (unless someone had an accident). I've done back to back's and only see vacuming. Also, I highly doubt those pretty white comforters are washed each trip. I sometimes find a lonely roaming hair when we get in our room on the first day.:eek:

We also pick up after ourselves on a daily basis, the less clutter the easier it is to find things. Dirty towels are placed in a pile, I will pull the covers up I do not make the bed. On the last morning, I pull the sheets, pillowcases, and place them with the dirty towels. I even do this in hotels or friends home while visiting.

We try to pick up after ourselves, and put things away...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :D I took all the books from the vanity and stacked them under the sofa, just to get them out of the way, and we put the "coffee table" up on end against the wall with the sofa in front of it just to give us more "floor space". Took a day or two before the room steward caught on that we were doing that for a reason. We'd come back to find everything back where it started.

On another cruise, I had brought my hairdryer, curling iron, brushes and hair stuff (spray/mousse) with plans of doing my hair for one of the formal nights where we were having a family portrait done with all my siblings and parents. Other than that, I don't usually "do" anything with my hair...and I found what I thought was a good spot under the sink....unfortunately, I didn't realize it was a waste receptacle...and had been emptied when I went to do my hair. :(

But pretty much everything is put away in a closet/drawer or simply folded on the sofa.

My husband makes fun of me, but we also strip the bed on our last morning in a hotel or on a cruise, and I fold up the blankets/bedspreads, and the sheets are in a pile on the bathroom floor with the towels. It's just "a thing" that my mother did..and I just do the same. As someone else said, it also helps to prevent leaving stuff in the bed that might get missed.

We usually put everything away before we go out. I can't believe some of the cabins I've walked past as they were being cleaned. Big piles of clothes everywhere, stuff everywhere. There's not enough room to be a slob in those cabins. You could probably be slobby in a Royal Suite with no probs.

I don't make the bed, but I do put things away so that there isn't anything on the floor and the surface counters are neat.

I've passed by some rooms with their doors open that I couldn't believe. It looked like every item of clothing they brought along was on the floor and had to be waded through to move around.

Actually, other than delivering and removing luggage, and being assigned to a lifeboat, their only job pertains to the cabins they are responsible for. The cabin attendants don't have other jobs perse onboard.

That may be true, but have you seen how many cabins they are responsible for?? Twice a day, cleaning, etc. I think they work extra hard and shouldn't have to think about any other job.

I keep my cabin tidier than I do my house!

While I appreciate my cabin steward cleaning and making the bed,

I don't think they should have to put away clothes and shoes

and sort stuff on the desk and in the bathroom.

I don't think that most cabin stewards would pickup your personal items and put them away. Imagine all the accusations of theft that could arise. They just work around it.

We are also neater in the cabin than at home. Not to make the stateroom attendants' job easier, but because the clutter would drive me mad. I put all of the RCi stuff (their books, magazines, etc.) away, toss all the ads for services that come with the Compass, toss the Compass on a daily basis, etc. Dirty clothes go in a laundry bag (the plastic one they provide) in the closet, toiletries & such in the cabinet, clean stuff stays in the drawers until I use it.

It took about 25 cruises to get it down...:)

I'm curious to know if anyone that made their bed came back to find it "remade"? I only wonder because my bed making skills are lacking. ;) IF I made the bed and the room was checked, the steward might get in trouble for a TERRIBLE job. :) Like I said, just wondering....

We don't really "clean up". That being said we don't leave stuff laying around on the floor or couch. I usually have a ton on junk piled up on the vanity/desk area but I let the cabin attendant know that they don't have to straighten that part up.

We had a phenomenal steward on the Allure in December. I left some clothes (sweatshirt, t-shirt, and some jeans) on the couch one day because we were in a hurry. When we returned he had folded them and placed them neatly on the back of the couch.

On another day my balcony decorations fell down (Christmas cruise) and when I returned he had taped them back up just the way they had been previously.

He certainly earned some extra money and our WOW Card!

IMG_9238.jpg

I am not the neatest person in the world but when I am in a hotel room or a cruise cabin I try to keep everything as tucked away as possible. It is easier to find things if I am organized, it is easier to live in a small space if everything is put away, and it is more convenient for me to have the room cleaner in and out quickly.

We try to keep ours picked up also, just don't want the stewarts to have to pick up our dirty laundry. If we keep it put up then we know where everything is when we need it. We don't make the bed i do love coming back to the room and the bed be nice and neat. :)

I am another one that feels that the cabin seems bigger when everything is put away. I think RCL has the most in cabin storage of any cruise line I have been on. I know people rave about the "large closets" on Princess, but to me they are not really closets because there are no doors and your clothes are hanging there for every passerby to see.

I don't like stuff on the vanity when I leave the cabin so it all gets put away in drawers or in those corner cabinets behind the mirrors. My personal feeling is that if your cabin steward doesn't have to spend a lot of time picking up after you he/she can spend more time cleaning.

Archived