Laptop

Sealine

The room safe is not big enough for your laptop but I'd not worry about it. We just put ours away normally but have left it out without a problem. I won't say there's never been a crew theft on a ship but I think it's extremely rare.

I have a 15.something" screen and it will not fit in the safe. I've never had any problems on any line leaving my laptop "out". I rarely have it in the way of the stewards though, as it it is put back into its sleeve and into the backpack.

If it is taken, I'm out like $400 for a new one that is 3xs faster.

YMMV if you have a top of the line machine with more bells than what adorns the Budweiser clydesdales.

Derek

We tracel with our Acer Netbook and never worry about leaving it on the counter in our cabin. When we stay in a hotel, we always lock it up but we've left it on the counter numerous cruises on a selection of HAL ships and never had a problem. I do have a lock and in the same cabin we always book, there is a place to secure it with the lock but I have never once bothered.

The room safe is not big enough for your laptop but I'd not worry about it. We just put ours away normally but have left it out without a problem. I won't say there's never been a crew theft on a ship but I think it's extremely rare.

Laptops and netbooks do not fit into safes on any ships but Signature ships. The safes on Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam hold very much more. I know it would hold our netbook with all the other things most of us lock up and it well might hold at 14" laptop.

Laptops and netbooks do not fit into safes on any ships but Signature ships. The safes on Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam hold very much more. I know it would hold our netbook with all the other things most of us lock up and it well might hold at 14" laptop.

Good information. We've never been on either of those, preferring the S and R class ships which have safes about the size of a shoe box....at least for my size shoes. :)

Good information. We've never been on either of those, preferring the S and R class ships which have safes about the size of a shoe box....at least for my size shoes. :)

The safes on the two Signatures are wonderful. I don't know the exact dimensions but I'd say close to double the size in depth and probably a bit higher as well.

I also normally leave my netbook out on the desk except if there's an announcement that work will be done in our cabin by someone other than our normal cabin stewards. (e.g., carpet cleaning, balcony work, etc) Then I will put it in the lockable drawer of one of the nightstands and take the key with me.

We've never hesitated to simply close ours and leave it sitting out in the cabin. I sincerely doubt any HAL crew member would risk their highly coveted job over such a small thing.

Agree 100%. I think this is true of all cruise lines and it would rarely be difficult to trace who had access to a cabin if anything ever happened. Mine always sits on the desk and the closest thing I've ever had to an "incident" was my first RCI cruise where the cabin steward asked some questions about the source and price of my Scan-snap scanner. Other than that bit of conversation starting the laptop has never posed the slightest issue.

Roy

I have a 15.something" screen and it will not fit in the safe. I've never had any problems on any line leaving my laptop "out". I rarely have it in the way of the stewards though, as it it is put back into its sleeve and into the backpack.

If it is taken, I'm out like $400 for a new one that is 3xs faster.

YMMV if you have a top of the line machine with more bells than what adorns the Budweiser clydesdales.

Derek

Yes, you could replace it for $400 but what are the hard drive files worth to you? Some of those 'lost files' could contain personal information let alone pictures taken during the cruise. Tom

Yes, you could replace it for $400 but what are the hard drive files worth to you? Some of those 'lost files' could contain personal information let alone pictures taken during the cruise. Tom

Our travel laptop is basically just for travel. Other than sometimes downloading pictures to it as extra back up and doing kind of a daily diary there's no personal information on it. Even if stolen a thief would get no credit card, tax, checking/savings account information from our travel laptop. I don't even think our home address is stored on it unless it's buried somewhere in the computer registration information file. When we do use it to access our email accounts even that is done through an indirect link so no account information is stored.

Our travel laptop is basically just for travel. Other than sometimes downloading pictures to it as extra back up and doing kind of a daily diary there's no personal information on it. Even if stolen a thief would get no credit card, tax, checking/savings account information from our travel laptop. I don't even think our home address is stored on it unless it's buried somewhere in the computer registration information file. When we do use it to access our email accounts even that is done through an indirect link so no account information is stored.

Same here - I take my netbook. My regular lap top stays at home.

Our travel laptop is basically just for travel. Other than sometimes downloading pictures to it as extra back up and doing kind of a daily diary there's no personal information on it. Even if stolen a thief would get no credit card, tax, checking/savings account information from our travel laptop.
Ditto. Plus mine is password protected so the amateur thief thief wouldn't even be able to log on.

Ditto. Plus mine is password protected so the amateur thief thief wouldn't even be able to log on.

Same here.

While I'd be unhappy to have it lost or stolen, it would not be a castrophy.

John -- hate to burst your bubble (and I know I am not an amateur in this nor a thief), but if I had your laptop in my hands I would have your system booted in short order.

John -- hate to burst your bubble (and I know I am not an amateur in this nor a thief), but if I had your laptop in my hands I would have your system booted in short order.

:) I can't help but ask.........

Would John be able to boost yours? :D

Same here -- I have no personal information on the laptop that I do take once in awhile on a cruise.

Thanks for all your answers. It felt verry safe to bring my laptop and write my diary on board. It is my first cruise and I'm afraid that it's overwhelming when I can't write and clear my head some time a day for new experiences.

Archived