Would I ever sail Costa again

alioness

Absolutely not!! Everyone from the costomer service desk and up (all officers) let us down on four occasions during one trip! From injury to being manhandled! The after sevice care at head office was no better other than my daughter recieved approximately $250.00 for her broken tooth when she bit into something hard in her dinner. Yeah...so the last three days all she could eat was soup and mashed potatoes, not to mention the pain!

Having said that the rest of the staff, room stewards and dining staff were amazing, in fact we are still in contact with some. Even though they gave excellent service it was decision makers that could make or break a trip. On our Costa trip we saw some amazing ports, met some incredible people and were let down by our cruise line...would we use them again...absolutely not!

Absolutely not!! Everyone from the costomer service desk and up (all officers) let us down on four occasions during one trip! From injury to being manhandled! The after sevice care at head office was no better other than my daughter recieved approximately $250.00 for her broken tooth when she bit into something hard in her dinner. Yeah...so the last three days all she could eat was soup and mashed potatoes, not to mention the pain!

Having said that the rest of the staff, room stewards and dining staff were amazing, in fact we are still in contact with some. Even though they gave excellent service it was decision makers that could make or break a trip. On our Costa trip we saw some amazing ports, met some incredible people and were let down by our cruise line...would we use them again...absolutely not!

I'm sure you'll be missed.........

My sister is a travel agent and before this they refused to book Costa due to an agents cruise they took and past passengers complaints. When she deals with their res office they are rude and have a I don't care attitude. So they now refuse to book that line. just her experience not saying all have the same.

I would most definitely book another Costa cruise! Looking forward to my complimentary prosecco in my stateroom for my second one. Loved the service and the interesting itineraries. Didn't miss some of the other lines' bingo barkers before the shows, "art" auctions, or the hordes of my fellow Americans. Nice to have some international diversity to spice up the adventure. Plus, another excuse to go to Italy.

We taken 7 cruises on Costa and will sail her again, the Alantica is one of my favorite ships, food and service was excellent. ( I will stick with Caribbean sailing). Once was on the Celeberity Solictice and a fellow passenger said I wish I was on the Atlantica.

I wouldn't......

I actually think they would be as safe as all the others but wouldn't out of principle. although the captain is to blame, the company management is also partly liable. for example they should never have fired the captain before he had finished his duties to supervise the evacuation of the ship. they should also have banned these unauthorised deviations to route a long time ago.

there are plenty of other brands to choose so why choose them...

I'm sure the marketing director of carnival corporation is thinking long and hard right now, and if I were him I'd rebrand.... They were hardly getting the best customer satisfaction ratings anyway so nothing to lose......

No.

Reasons: 1) There is obviously something very wrong with the way they choose and train their captains.

and

2) Due to the many, many reports of the appalling way Costa treated the surviviors. One pax reported that they arrived home tuesday in the same clothes they wore during the sinking - Costa had refused to even arrange for them to get a change of clothing. Shameful. :mad:

Sailed on them when I was a kid. Late eighties on the Carla C. San Juan to Caracas. Middle of the night the engines stop. The electricity shuts down. Bobbing like a cork in the middle of the Caribbean. For an hour or two you could hear hammering and cursing in Italian from the bowels of the ship. Eventually, the ship is fixed and we are on our way again.

The next day no mention is ever made by anyone! Like it never happened.

Haven't been back and never will.

I wouldn't......

I actually think they would be as safe as all the others but wouldn't out of principle. although the captain is to blame, the company management is also partly liable. for example they should never have fired the captain before he had finished his duties to supervise the evacuation of the ship. they should also have banned these unauthorised deviations to route a long time ago.

there are plenty of other brands to choose so why choose them...

I'm sure the marketing director of carnival corporation is thinking long and hard right now, and if I were him I'd rebrand.... They were hardly getting the best customer satisfaction ratings anyway so nothing to lose......

I'm not sure what you mean by they should never have fired the Captain before he had finished his duties to supervise the evacuation of the ship.

To the best of my knowledge, he wasn't fired. He slithered off with his 2nd in command and tried to leave the area.

The standard operating procedure is that once a Captain declares an abandon ship order, he is no longer in charge, the Coast Guard is, but he is duty bound to stay with the ship nonetheless.

I wonder if anyone else was on that lifeboat? Or did he commandeer a vessel all for himelf and leave the passengers to fare as best they could?

I'm not sure what you mean by they should never have fired the Captain before he had finished his duties to supervise the evacuation of the ship.

To the best of my knowledge, he wasn't fired. He slithered off with his 2nd in command and tried to leave the area.

The standard operating procedure is that once a Captain declares an abandon ship order, he is no longer in charge, the Coast Guard is, but he is duty bound to stay with the ship nonetheless.

I wonder if anyone else was on that lifeboat? Or did he commandeer a vessel all for himelf and leave the passengers to fare as best they could?

My understanding is he was fired by his management after a conversation that he had after the collision but before the ship was abandoned.

I think this may have clouded his judgement further and meant he didn't remain to carry out his duties. I don't dispute your understanding of the law though.

Just think he should have been fired the day after.....

My understanding is he was fired by his management after a conversation that he had after the collision but before the ship was abandoned.

I think this may have clouded his judgement further and meant he didn't remain to carry out his duties. I don't dispute your understanding of the law though.

Just think he should have been fired the day after.....

I hadn't heard that. If he were fired then it makes more sense. But honestly, this is the first I heard of it. Time will tell.

I'd never cruise with them. There is a history of recklessness and abuse there. Costa seems like such a disorganized, disreputable cruise line. From the captain on down, what a terrible, shameful mess! My first cruise over 20 years ago was on Costa & I have a weak spot for Italians - but never again!!!

They are the bargain basement cruise line of the Med. The poster who described the problems related to the 2008 crash are eerily prescient and show that these issues have been brewing for YEARS.

I would most definitely book another Costa cruise! Looking forward to my complimentary prosecco in my stateroom for my second one. Loved the service and the interesting itineraries. Didn't miss some of the other lines' bingo barkers before the shows, "art" auctions, or the hordes of my fellow Americans. Nice to have some international diversity to spice up the adventure. Plus, another excuse to go to Italy.

Seriously, you'd book a cruise for an $8 bottle wine?

I've had lots of cruises with Costa and they've all been great ones. I'll definitely stick with them.

p.s. Capt. Schettino has NOT been fired by Costa. If he will be, as is probable, it will come after he's tried by the judiciary.

Ok. I take your word for it. I don't think they will wait until after the trial to fire him. You don't need a criminal conviction to be fired... You can be relieved of your duties for many minor things like sending a personal email so I'd expect him to be fired long before the trial...

This is a good thread directed at people who have actually been on a Costa cruise. I'm glad it was started. The commentary will be interesting in view of recent events. However, I doubt that it will get much of a true sampling. Some of the people who have already posted do not mention any personal experience with the line despite the word "again". Most of Costa's passengers are Europeans with often little command of the Queen's English. A few but not that many regularly use this board. The roll calls here, particularly for the European itineraries, always seem to be fairly sparse for Costa. Very few Americans use the line in Europe. Some of the negative comments from Americans I've seen about Costa seem to center on frustration or concern over the several languages used on the ships. Many of us are not as language flexible as our cousins from the across the pond.

Costa is a little slice of Italy and some things are different like for example the money. On the last day of my last trip on the Atlantica, an American man walked up to the purser's desk for a currency exchange and slapped down some euros requesting he be given in his words "some real money." I thought to myself, oh dear.

Seriously, you'd book a cruise for an $8 bottle wine?

LOL...speaking of racist. Hordes of Americans?!? I don't take things too seriously so it doesn't both me...but damn that pretty much impeaches that person's opinion.

I guess $8 bottles of wine and minimal Americans are where it's at!!

On the last day of my last trip on the Atlantica, an American man walked up to the purser's desk for a currency exchange and slapped down some euros requesting he be given in his words "some real money." I thought to myself, oh dear.

Surely this was said tongue in cheek? It sounds like something I'd say with a smile and a little twinkle in the eye! but I'm English and have a strange sense of humour!

I'd agree there is definitely a market for a cruise line for the continental non English speaking Europeans.... I just don't think it is Costa any more....

My rebranded continental European cruise line would be called COLUMBUS cruises after the great Spanish explorer ,who was born in Italy.

The name would be familiar to most Europeans so I think it would fit well.

Ps Carnival Corp, please contact me for address to send me the royalty cheque!!

Many years ago, we sailed a Costa ship from Venice to the Greek Islands. It was a lovely trip - Costa actually provided an English Speaking Host for the 35 or so of us that were Americans/Brits etc. They had done so (in their words) to make it easier for us with obtaining seats in the dining rooms, (actually assigned us all in the same area with a great communicating waiter), they gave us a special area to embark/disembark at the various ports. All this was because of the cultural differences, ie Italians might not necessary honour the line system, etc.

Recently I was considering booking another Costa trip (out of an Italian port) and was considering doing to in order to maximize some time around a land-based trip, they have some nice itineraries, and some inexpensive pricing.

We usually sail Celebrity (we have over 20 sailings) - so essentially after following many threads here about the lack of consideration given to the passengers needing some clothing/assistance/etc - by Costa, plus the consideration that if there is an emergency, I would prefer my language (English) to be the primary language spoken on board - not waiting for several other language annoucements before I understand what is happening. I only speak and understand English fluently, a little French - enough to get by for dinner but not an emergency evacuation - therefore, NO we will not be considering Costa into any of our equations.

I've had lots of cruises with Costa and they've all been great ones. I'll definitely stick with them.

p.s. Capt. Schettino has NOT been fired by Costa. If he will be, as is probable, it will come after he's tried by the judiciary.

It was reported this morning on either CNN or BBC that he was fired yesterday. I'm not saying it's gospel truth, but those two networks are genrally pretty cautious about making sure what they report is factual.

Archived