Listen to the actual tape and another Costa captain on board!

AWorldCruise4Me

This is the first time I heard it. There are captions on the video so you can read the translation but hearing the tone of the voices adds to the understanding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

It also speaks of another Costa captain on board. This is the first I've heard of this.

"Captain Bosio was not working on the Costa Concordia but had boarded the ship to get to his home town of Savona, near Genoa. He is understood to have coordinated the entire rescue effort, working alongside crew members throughout the night, helping women and children into lifeboats.

He is the captain of one of the Concordia’s sister ships, the Serena."

Captain Bosio added: “We managed to avoid the worse and have the world crash down around us. I just want to rest and forget.

“Don’t call me a hero. I just did my duty, the duty of a sea captain – actually the duty of a normal man.

“I and the others with me just did our duty. We looked each other in the eyes for a second and then we Just got on with it.”

"Officers have complained that, rather than taking decisive control of the situation, Schettino spent the hour after the collision on his mobile phone."

Mario Palombo, a former Costa commander and colleague of the captain, said: "I've always had my reservations about Schettino. It's true, he was my second in command, but he was too exuberant. A daredevil. More than once I had to put him in his place."

Thanks for posting the link to the article. Very interesting read.

This sad & tragic story unfolds like an onion every day with more details & layers revealed. It's really hard to get your head around & grasp some of the aspects that all put together led up to a perfect storm. When you read about the missed opportunities to save lives........one hour before...45 minutes before....

On any given day we all put our trust in someone without knowing their background story. Never giving a second thought just going about our lives. I'm hoping the industry as well as the general public take away something from this. Learn from this.

Glad to hear about those who stepped up, unsung hero(s) despite the odds kept their faith & composure.

This is the first time I heard it. There are captions on the video so you can read the translation but hearing the tone of the voices adds to the understanding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

It also speaks of another Costa captain on board. This is the first I've heard of this.

"Captain Bosio was not working on the Costa Concordia but had boarded the ship to get to his home town of Savona, near Genoa. He is understood to have coordinated the entire rescue effort, working alongside crew members throughout the night, helping women and children into lifeboats.

Captain Bosio added: “We managed to avoid the worse and have the world crash down around us. I just want to rest and forget.

“Don’t call me a hero. I just did my duty, the duty of a sea captain – actually the duty of a normal man.

“I and the others with me just did our duty. We looked each other in the eyes for a second and then we Just got on with it.”

"Officers have complained that, rather than taking decisive control of the situation, Schettino spent the hour after the collision on his mobile phone."

Mario Palombo, a former Costa commander and colleague of the captain, said: "I've always had my reservations about Schettino. It's true, he was my second in command, but he was too exuberant. A daredevil. More than once I had to put him in his place."

I read somewhere that the Captain S. was on the phone with Commodore Palumbo as he was going to "wave" at him....

If this is all true about Captain Bosio it just goes to show the true extent to which Schettino is the exception, not the rule. I suspect that the vast majority of captains would act in the same manner as Captain Bosio.

so coast guard commander says,"you have been telling me this for an hour already, get on board." he is also PISSED off. seriously so. and Schettino sounds ...timid and traumatized. was this their first conversation? does anyone know? or, was this a convo in a series of convos that was finally recorded to evidence what Schettino was up to?

also, i read an article a few days ago, that i cannot now find, but it was an interview with a 38 year old woman who was 5 months pregnant and said she was begging THE CAPTAIN to get on an early life boat because she was pregnant and he told her no and got on it himself. i have no idea what to say about that. wait, here it is.....

"Frenchwoman Isabelle Mougin, 38, who is five months pregnant, wept as she described her battle to get off the sinking ship with her husband. Interviewed in hospital, she said the captain refused to let them leave the vessel, even though she pleaded that she was a priority case because of her pregnancy.

‘We were stuck. He told us we couldn’t get off. I thought my baby was going to die – I thought we were all going to die. The captain just went, he just left the boat, left us there, I just cannot believe it."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086826/Costa-Concordia-cruise-ship-accident-French-survivor-tells-husband-gave-lifejacket.html#ixzz1jrFFYkwu

so, to get it straight: Schettino should have never been in a life boat at ANY time he was talking to coast guard. He told people they could not get off the boat. He was seen in a taxi? (is this true??) he was seen on shore while rescue efforts were still on-going (is this true?) did he ignore the coast guard orders even after this call? did he get back into a life boat after being on shore and return to the ship? or at least to the sea?

this is so confusing and hard to believe.

WOW. Just WOW.

so, to get it straight: Schettino should have never been in a life boat at ANY time he was talking to coast guard. He told people they could not get off the boat. He was seen in a taxi? (is this true??) he was seen on shore while rescue efforts were still on-going (is this true?) did he ignore the coast guard orders even after this call? did he get back into a life boat after being on shore and return to the ship? or at least to the sea?

this is so confusing and hard to believe.

Does it say anywhere that Captain Schettino actually went back to the Ship? I haven't read that. I read that the Coast Guard officer tried to get him to go back, but all indications are that he went ashore and left everyone to their fate.:(

"Officers have complained that, rather than taking decisive control of the situation, Schettino spent the hour after the collision on his mobile phone.

Mario Palombo, a former Costa commander and colleague of the captain, said: "I've

always had my reservations about Schettino. It's true, he was my second in command, but he was too exuberant. A daredevil. More than once I had to put him in his place."

Has Captain Bosio made any statements about what caused the actual accident? It sounds like he would be the best person to interview. I sure hope he comes clean about what happened because Captain Clumsy is obviously not going to tell the truth.

'.......actually the duty of a normal man.' Indeed. Schettino seems to lack that quality. I do not think that is an admirable trait in Italy.

Has anyone else heard the story that Schettino was hand picked by ????? There has to be a reason why someone obviously questioned by his peers would be promoted to Captain. This will all come out in the wash.

If this is all true about Captain Bosio it just goes to show the true extent to which Schettino is the exception, not the rule. I suspect that the vast majority of captains would act in the same manner as Captain Bosio.

I firmly believe this as well.

'.......actually the duty of a normal man.' Indeed. Schettino seems to lack that quality. I do not think that is an admirable trait in Italy.

Has anyone else heard the story that Schettino was hand picked by ????? There has to be a reason why someone obviously questioned by his peers would be promoted to Captain. This will all come out in the wash.

I see it all the time in my company. People get promoted but it's not based on how well they have or will to their job but because a person or persons higher up likes them for whatever reason.

It's been brought up on other threads that cruise ship captains are not just ship captains but are also the most visible representatives of the cruise line and because of this the looks and charisma might be a factor in picking one person over another that is a more qualified to captain a ship.

Isn't it strange that we forget that everyone on the ship has a story to tell and that it is only to be expected that every story will be different? While it is true that overall things appear to have been mishandled and most everyone agrees the captain acted badly, I would expect there will be a variety of interpretations among the passengers based on where they were on the ship, which crew members they interacted with, and their own personal functioning in this very scary situation. I've already read stories of passengers who derided the staff for being totally unhelpful and others who credit the staff with saving their lives. I guess it's important to remember that everyone's perception is likely to be different and, whether or not it "fits" with other recollections, it's true for that individual and needs to be validated. I hope Costa will take this into account in providing compensation and assistance for these folks.

Archived