seapass

limey-51

Your credit card will demagnetize your SeaPass Card if they are put together, so keep them separate.

I'm not seeing how this happens. Your typical credit card does not have anything on it that would allow it to do anything. It's a passive read only mag stripe. FWIW, I keep my seapass in my wallet, and never had an issue. Do you have more information?

I'm not seeing how this happens. Your typical credit card does not have anything on it that would allow it to do anything. It's a passive read only mag stripe. FWIW, I keep my seapass in my wallet, and never had an issue. Do you have more information?

On my 1st cruise my card got demagnetized when I put it in a zip closed "coin purse" that had nothing else in it except my drivers lic. & some gum. Guest services said that it happened because I my license.

2nd cruise it got demagnatized in the first 10 minutes that I had it when I put it in this little pouch on my camera case. Guest services said my camera caused that.

I don't know why but these sea pass cards seem to be very sensitive.

There's no such thing as a "read only mag stripe". A magnetic field is a 2-way deal...it can be altered by another magnetic field, and it can alter another magnetic field itself.

On my 1st cruise my card got demagnetized when I put it in a zip closed "coin purse" that had nothing else in it except my drivers lic. & some gum. Guest services said that it happened because I my license.

2nd cruise it got demagnatized in the first 10 minutes that I had it when I put it in this little pouch on my camera case. Guest services said my camera caused that.

I think that's just a line they use. My wife's has 'demagnetized' a few times before and she just carries it in her pocket. I'm surprised they didn't tell her she must have a high iron blood count.:rolleyes:

I guess they use the low coercivity cards which are slightly cheaper systems, as they do in hotels - much easier to re-write, either deliberately or accidentally :)

I wonder if that urban myth about hotel key cards having credit card numbers on them will appear in this thread? It usually does....

When your SeaPass won't open your cabin door and you go down to Guest Relations, they will issue you a new one and they will also tell you to keep it away from credit cards. Been there and done that many times.

SeaPass cards are now programmed to not only open your cabin, but also the CL/DL or both if you are eligible to use them.

I know a cell phone will demagnatize your room key...and so will a magnet snap fastener on a purse! I've never had a credit card do anything to the seapass....just doesn't happen!

Oh, but it most certainly does happen. You've just been lucky.

There's no such thing as a "read only mag stripe". A magnetic field is a 2-way deal...it can be altered by another magnetic field, and it can alter another magnetic field itself.

If they worked the way you suggest, then credit cards would always be wiped. The planet has a huge magnetic field. These stripes have such a low field, that it's inconsequential. Do you keep multiple credit cards in your wallet? I do. How often do your cards lose their data. I can't recall the last time this happened.

Look, I'm not saying that cards can't lose their data, just that the suggestion that credit cards will wipe your seapass stripe seems fishy. ;-)

If they worked the way you suggest, then credit cards would always be wiped. The planet has a huge magnetic field. These stripes have such a low field, that it's inconsequential. Do you keep multiple credit cards in your wallet? I do. How often do your cards lose their data. I can't recall the last time this happened.

Look, I'm not saying that cards can't lose their data, just that the suggestion that credit cards will wipe your seapass stripe seems fishy. ;-)

The earth's magnetic field is not strong enough to impact the cards. Other adjacent cards (and cameras, etc.) can be strong enough to impact the cards.

Did you not read any of the posts above? What you believe to be "fishy" has happened and does happen to people's cards.

There is no such thing as a read-only magnetic field.

Your credit card will demagnetize your SeaPass Card if they are put together, so keep them separate.

Good advice. I knew of this before my last cruise and kept them apart, My wife however didn't and had to get a replacment.

If I remember correctly, it's mag strip to mag strip that causes the problem. If you keep your SeaPass & credit card facing the same way, you shouldn't have a problem.

Same thing with your cell phone, camera, or magnetic fastener. Place your card face toward the battery & you should be fine.

Archived