7 am -2 pm Butchart Gardens ?

sandydownunder

Does anyone think it is a risk going to the Butchart Gardens in Victoria by local bus? Obviously we would have to be back on board at 1.30 for a 2pm sail. The gardens open at 10 am so we would plan to be there when they open.

Anyone been to the gardens by local bus? Any ideas welcome. Taxi? What would be the cost?

Thankyou,

Sandra

Does anyone think it is a risk going to the Butchart Gardens in Victoria by local bus? Obviously we would have to be back on board at 1.30 for a 2pm sail. The gardens open at 10 am so we would plan to be there when they open.

Anyone been to the gardens by local bus? Any ideas welcome. Taxi? What would be the cost?

Thankyou,

Sandra

Local bus is $2.50, see http://bctransit.com/ Bus stop for the #30/31 is on the road right outside the cruise dock, transfer to a #75 (IIRC) at Royal Oak. The #75 only runs once an hour, so you have to be a little careful. A taxi would be in the $35-45 range for Butchart to Ogden Point.

Info from the Victoria forum of tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154945-c95204/Victoria:Vancouver-Island:How.To.Get.To.Butchart.Gardens.html

I suggest that you look into sharing a taxi or carservice with another couple from your ship. Are you on your ship's roll call? If so, it will probably get more active as it gets closer to departure time. Butchart Gardens is a popular spot so I'm sure you'll find someone who'd be happy to rideshare.

It's certainly more costly than the bus, but the bus takes 45 minutes and doesn't run frequently so it will cut into valuable time that could be spent at the Gardens. (and you don't have enough time for the Gardens as it is!!:))

Thanks for the 3 responses. Seeing the bus only runs once an hour I can see we would be cutting it fine and it would be a disaster if we missed it. We would only get 2 hours in the gardens and I agree mapleleaves it is not enough.

Might walk to Beacon Park in Victoria instead.

Sandra

If you do decide to take the bus, walk-taxi to the bus station, that way you will save yourself some time by not having to transfer buses.

Please don't take the advice of this poster, as they don't understand where the buses run from. The [transit] "bus station" is a depot for maintenance only (if the poster would like to look on google maps, they'll find it just north of Hillside Ave on Douglas St). The #31 runs (past Ogden point dock) frequently during the day, it's the #75 that you need to transfer onto that doesn't. The transfer at Royal Oak is just between two different buses, there's no station there.

Please check http://bctransit.com/ for proper bus maps, and info on the services if you choose to take the city bus system

Please don't take the advice of this poster, as they don't understand where the buses run from. The [transit] "bus station" is a depot for maintenance only (if the poster would like to look on google maps, they'll find it just north of Hillside Ave on Douglas St).

Aww, yes I know exactly where that maintenance yard is you're talking about. Hmm. No offense to JamesEM who suggested it, but not sure why he would have done so.

I would actually be leary about taking a city bus out to the Gardens in such a short window of time. In a strange city, the last thing I want to be doing is farting around with the local bus system, especially given the relatively short time/few hours. I don't know... perhaps the taxi-share or a more expensively priced ship's excursion might be the way to go. We have often paid more just to have the peace of mind.

OP Sandra, Beacon Hill Park in no way compares to Butchart Gardens. However, if you want to stay in the downtown Victoria core, I would recommend you see the Royal BC Museum. It is magnificent, and IMO an easy walk from the cruise ship pier (or at least one way, if you prefer).

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

Thanks for the advice. There are 4 of us so that makes sharing a taxi a good option. Two of us have been to Victoria and two haven't. Having been to the Butchart Gardens I realise it is a bit of a squeeze. The other two will just have to wait until they come again.

Langleycruisers I agree the Royal BC Museum is wonderful. I visited it in the late 90,s and was very impressed. No doubt it is even better now. We stayed in Victoria for 3 nights. You just can't hope to do everything on a cruise ship.

We stayed in Victoria for 3 nights. You just can't hope to do everything on a cruise ship.

Agreed. Victoria is beautiful, lived there for almost 35 years. A cruise ship stop gives one a mere taste of a port, it's true.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise and have a great time, whatever you decide to do. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will also be in victoria in August from 7 am - 2 pm (Sea Princess).

I've decided to rent a car to get to Buchart Gardens. (we have four people)

the Gardens open at 9 am, and that's when I want to be there.

And leave by noon. to make it back with enough time.

The rental car company will pick us up at the dock and take us to the rental car place downtown.

My question is: With a stated 7 am dock time- is that when the ship arrives or when they will allow passengers to disembark?

What time should I ask the rental car company to pick us up at the dock?

(Trying to minimize the time they have to wait, and maximize the time we have at the Gardens)

Archived