second cruise....help w/excursions

jgraham625

ok. The first cruise we played it safe, booked through carnival. This time we are going on a 7 day to belize,routan and cozumel. I was just reading that a radio station has been filling the excursions and the most popular are allready full even though we are still 4 months out. My question is can anyone give me advice about booking the excursions directly. I hear that it is cheaper and the groups are smaller but the chances that something could go wrong are greater. Any advice woud be appreciated!!

Go to your library and get a guide book covering your ports.

Go to the Ports of Call section and read about your ports and private tours at them.

Join the Roll Call for your cruise. Someone may have a private tour and be looking for others to join them

Both Paul and LHT give exactly the advice I would. We have booked private excursions many times from recommendations here on CC and never had a problem, even in places like Russia and Viet Nam where we don't speak the language. All it takes is some homework on your part, and trust in your instincts about the people you deal with (do they write back promptly, give full and complete answers, and have a helpful and businesslike manner in their communications?). CC word-of-mouth is a very good reference, and the majority of these businesses that rely on tourism want to do a good job for you and establish a good reputation to get more referrals.

JMHO

Margaret

I learned of excursions from the stated ports of call sections.

We did a Carnival excursion in Belize only on that itinerary. We went to Altun Ha ruins. It was very good.

Cozumel we took a taxi to Nachi Cocum, and in Roatan we had arrangements with a resort that came to pick us up. Both were great and problem-free.

While I totally agree with the advice to go to the Ports of Call section and do some homework, you can also use shoretrips.com. They are an excellent source for tours. They work with local companies in most cruise ship ports, including where you are going, and they put together tours similar to the ones the ship has, and others more and less involved. We worked with them in the Baltic in various countries, and in Alaska. Every tour except one was excellent, and the one that was only fair, they gave us a partial refund without any hassle.

Private tours are in small vans and can get around quickly and nimbly.

By spending time on the Ports of Call board, you can get other local companies as well, and you can find out what you want to do. The great advantage of a private tour is that you can add this and take away that and customize the tour if you know of things to do or not to do. This way too, you can customize to fit the needs of your diverse age group.

You can go to your roll call and try to find some other people to make the group a little bigger (8 - 10 is fine too), though at a group of 5, it will still be cheaper to do a private tour than the ship's tours.

We have been to Roatan, and are going again in March.. We like Victor Bodden tours..You book on line with no deposit,, We like to just drive around, take photos, go to a beach, shop, and a private cab for the two of us is $40 each, do whatever, go wherever you want. For 4 it is $25 a person. He offers additional things also along with the island tour. You do not pay anything until you are returned to your ship.. Tabyana beach on the west end is beautiful. This year we will explore the untraveled east end...In Coz, Nachi Cocomb is nice and uncrowded. We booked this through Island Marketing..We also likle Passion Island, nice 40 min boat ride from your ship, and beautiful private island, open bar, etc.. Have a great cruise!

Archived