HELP!!!!! Eastern or Western Caribbean Cruise?

T-N-C

We will soon be booking our next cruise. We are trying to decide if we should go on Magic out of Galveston on a Western Caribbean cruise (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel) or The Conquest out of New Orleans on an Eastern Caribbean cruise (Key West, Freeport, and Nassau). I have a family of 6 with four teens: son/daughter twins (14), son (16), and son (18). We may also have my mother in law and my nephew (10). We have been on the Conquest out of Galveston before, going on a western caribbean cruise. So basically it comes down to new ship old places or old ship new places. Any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite places because the snorkling is great, warm crystal clear waters.

I really don't care for Bahamas, so I'd do the new ship one.

Also Coz is always a nice beach day with all inclusives all over the place!!!

The kids will LOVE the stingrays in Grand Cayman, go to the ports of call board and see what others suggest!!!

Have an awesome time which ever you choose!!

Carole

The not Eastern/Eastern is not a true Eastern. It goes to my least favorite ports, two in the Bahamas which are flat ugly brown islands. People like me are so desperate to cruise somewhere else, we will pay extra for this not route.

Eastern is really St. Thomas, St Marteen .. not Key West.

If you have not already done Western so many times you are sick of those ports, I would pick the cheaper Western.

Just did the Eastern itinerary last week and won't do it again (only enjoyable port was Key West). The Bahamas were a little too much for me to handle as it seemed to have even more pushy vendors (and when you get off ship at Nassau you're forced to walk through a large building with all vendors attacking you -- not fun). I can handle vendors, but this was over the top

We thought it would be good to "try new ports" on an eastern itinerary once. Never again! We continue to go to the same western ports over and over and have not tired of them yet. There is always something new to do or see at each port, even if you have been there a dozen times (Our last time in Cozumel, when we toured "the other side" and saw all new things!). There just isn't much to see and do in the Bahamas.....or if there is, we didn't see or do it! Also, think about that blue Caribbean water that you WON'T see in the Gulf of Mexico......

PS - If you really want a change, sail out of Florida on a southern Caribbean itinerary..... St. Maartin, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Kitts. BEAUTIFUL!

If you want to do Eastern, then I would suggest doing the Eastern on the Liberty, out of Miami. there may also be other ships that do similar itineraries, but the Liberty is the one I am familiar with, since I went on it last year. The Liberty, during its Eastern weeks, goes to Half Moon Cay (Private Island), St. Thomas, San Juan (Puerto Rico), and Grand Turk. The one major Eastern Caribbean island that it misses is San Maarten, which your proposed Eastern cruise doesn't go to either.

The Eastern cruise that you mentioned is more of a Bahamas cruise. You could probably do that on a 4 day cruise out of one of the Florida ports, if that is what you wanted.

I am currently booked on the Western cruise that you mentioned, on the Magic.

We will soon be booking our next cruise. We are trying to decide if we should go on Magic out of Galveston on a Western Caribbean cruise (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel) or The Conquest out of New Orleans on an Eastern Caribbean cruise (Key West, Freeport, and Nassau). I have a family of 6 with four teens: son/daughter twins (14), son (16), and son (18). We may also have my mother in law and my nephew (10). We have been on the Conquest out of Galveston before, going on a western caribbean cruise. So basically it comes down to new ship old places or old ship new places. Any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated.

I have always said eastern is best. However, on that itin, Key West would be of interest not the others.

So I'd vote western. Cayman and Coz are amazing Mo Bay - haven't been.

I would choose Western, great ports and Cozumel is always good as a beach day at an all-inclusive! Grand Cayman is stingrays or just sunning on 7 Mile beach. Montego Bay is much better than Freeport and Nassau put together and Key West is nice, but no beach, just walking around, drinking/shopping. You can do that in Georgetown at the waterfront port in Grand Cayman.

Have fun!!

While Carnival is calling the Conquest an Eastern cruise it is not one, It is a Bahamas cruise. If it were a true eastern cruise i would recommend that but since it is a choice between Western and Bahamas western is the only way to go, the Bahamas are over rated.

Base on in that you give us, I would pick Western Carib. If I want to cruise Eastern Carib, I would go to St Maarten, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, St Thomas etc. Never been to Nassau or Freeport but they don't impress me.

Geez what good advice. LOL I prefer the Western, and have been to the Eastern (Key West and Bahamas) and did not really enjoy it. I was trying to convince myself to try it again, to see if I might enjoy it more this time, but now maybe I won't. I have been on the Magic and it is a beautiful ship with lots to do for the younger crowd. I love the slides and such but not the ropes course. They don't have enough to do at night on the Magic. JMHO. I know cruising out of NOLA is cheaper, and with so many people I would do the Conquest again out of NOLA and do the Western. Either way, I would still do the Western.

Archived