Stuff on my Nook

pcur

Thank you so much for sharing this.:)

I got a Nook Color for Christmas (an upgrade from my Nook) and haven't utilized all that it can do. I just love being able to read at night and not keep my DH awake.

I am a little disappointed that the battery doesn't last as long as my other Nook but I love that I can surf the web easier, and it has the lighted background for reading at night.

I also read that having it "sleep" at the lowest setting (5 minutes of no use) saves battery life, as well as dimming the brightness setting. The brightness is important to me.

Since I put mine to sleep by touching the power button lightly whenever I'm not using it, I don't need to change the sleep timer.

I think you should have a new name. NOOK Princess! Thank you for all your help. Wonderful suggestions:D:D:D:D:D:D.

HA!

Then I would be Cruise Princess, Cell Phone Princess, VA Aid and Attendance Princess, and many other kinds of princesses.

You see, when I get my teeth into something, I STUDY it. I mean I read the manual cover to cover, go find blogs and discussions, etc. Then, when I get the hang of it, I share. I always pick up extra information by sharing, too. It's a win-win.

Glad to help.

I scanned my passport and later on I'll copy it to my iPad. Thanks for the suggestion.:). I've already scanned in my reservation for a pre-cruise hotel in SFO.

Yes, Calibre is pretty nifty.

I also scanned my user's manual for my camera, iPad and laptop and moved them to my iPad. I like having those with me while on vacation, but I certainly don't want to take the full 3-ring binders full of that stuff.

I scanned my passport and later on I'll copy it to my iPad. Thanks for the suggestion.:). I've already scanned in my reservation for a pre-cruise hotel in SFO.

Yes, Calibre is pretty nifty.

I also scanned my user's manual for my camera, iPad and laptop and moved them to my iPad. I like having those with me while on vacation, but I certainly don't want to take the full 3-ring binders full of that stuff.

You are like me: an unstoppable force now!!

Isn't that passport idea nifty? I claim no ownership of that idea: it's the guy up in the Eastern US trying to get into Canada's idea.

Nitro Reader works great for converting web pages to pdf. Once you install it, then it's available whenever you look at a pdf online (like Adobe, but it doesn't have to be your pdf default reader). There's an icon that will open the online pdf in a separate Nitro window, and then you can save it. I am saving a lot of stuff directly to my Nook if I know I don't need to keep a copy of it on my laptop.

For instance, my airline reservations that are in my email. I can save those to a pdf straight to my connected Nook using Nitro, and I've still got the original in my email. Those are the ones that the airline emails to you in html format.

I just downloaded the Boingo app on my Nook today. For $8 a month I can get unlimited wireless access worldwide. The app logs you in automatically, and connects you if you are anywhere in range of one of their hotspots. I searched their directory to make sure there were plenty of spots where we are going. Very cool.

I will buy the mobile plan a few days before we leave, and then cancel it online when we get home, so I'm only paying for one month.

I tested it here at home, because it will automatically connect you to free hotspots, too, and it detected that my wireless connection was active here at home.

When I run out of free minutes on the ship with my notebook, I can use it and my Nook in port.

I just downloaded the Boingo app on my Nook today. For $8 a month I can get unlimited wireless access worldwide. The app logs you in automatically, and connects you if you are anywhere in range of one of their hotspots. I searched their directory to make sure there were plenty of spots where we are going. Very cool.

I will buy the mobile plan a few days before we leave, and then cancel it online when we get home, so I'm only paying for one month.

I tested it here at home, because it will automatically connect you to free hotspots, too, and it detected that my wireless connection was active here at home.

When I run out of free minutes on the ship with my notebook, I can use it and my Nook in port.

You are really giving that poor little ereader a workout Peggy! ;):D:D

The browser must be much better on the new color nooks than they are on the old b&w ones. The browser on mine really only has limited functionality, within the little 2"x5" touchscreen box. :) It's wonderful that you are able to do so much with yours. I use the Ipod touch for all the things you are using your nook for. Thanks for all the tips.

You are really giving that poor little ereader a workout Peggy! ;):D:D

The browser must be much better on the new color nooks than they are on the old b&w ones. The browser on mine really only has limited functionality, within the little 2"x5" touchscreen box. :) It's wonderful that you are able to do so much with yours. I use the Ipod touch for all the things you are using your nook for. Thanks for all the tips.

Hey, Patti! Yes, all of this stuff can be done on a lot of other devices. I think Boingo said something about not being compatible with iPhones, though.

The screen on the NookColor is pretty good size (3-ish by 5-ish), and I wouldn't use it for any serious internet browsing. But, to look something up or check email, it's great. But, turning it landscape makes it a lot easier, because I get the whole 5-ish inches across.

Hey, Patti! Yes, all of this stuff can be done on a lot of other devices. I think Boingo said something about not being compatible with iPhones, though.

The screen on the NookColor is pretty good size (3-ish by 5-ish), and I wouldn't use it for any serious internet browsing. But, to look something up or check email, it's great. But, turning it landscape makes it a lot easier, because I get the whole 5-ish inches across.

I'll have to look at yours next time we have lunch, and I will bring mine too. We can stop at Starbucks for wifi. :D:):D

HA!

Then I would be Cruise Princess, Cell Phone Princess, VA Aid and Attendance Princess, and many other kinds of princesses.

You see, when I get my teeth into something, I STUDY it. I mean I read the manual cover to cover, go find blogs and discussions, etc. Then, when I get the hang of it, I share. I always pick up extra information by sharing, too. It's a win-win.

Glad to help.

Went to B&N Store tonight to upgrade my nook. I didn't have the option of deleting by holding down the icon. My Nook needed the updated software that is on the Tablet. So now all is right with my Nook. I didn't think I was that tech illiterate.

Thanks again sharing you knowledge.

Went to B&N Store tonight to upgrade my nook. I didn't have the option of deleting by holding down the icon. My Nook needed the updated software that is on the Tablet. So now all is right with my Nook. I didn't think I was that tech illiterate.

Thanks again sharing you knowledge.

You can check the software version on your Nook by pressing the Nook emblem, choosing Settings, and then Device Info. On bn.com you can see if there's a later one by going to NookColor Support. On the left side there will be a link for software updates.

I know the latest is supposed to update automatically, but I don't think it does. I had to go find it myself when I got mine for Christmas.

Thanks so much Peggy! I'm headed to try Calibre tonight. Love all the tips and your teaching me so much. Appreciate your help.

Loved the website.........works perfect and will make reading the books great!

Have you tried obooko Dot com for books..........

Peggy, my boyfriend's mother is the SE regional manager of Barnes & Noble, and she would LOVE you!!! :D

HA! Not if she knew I was getting almost all my books for free, she wouldn't, and my book cover from eBay. But, thanks anyway! :D

Well, I did pay full price for Mockingjay, so that counts.

HA! Not if she knew I was getting almost all my books for free, she wouldn't, and my book cover from eBay. But, thanks anyway! :D

Well, I did pay full price for Mockingjay, so that counts.

LOL - well, I'm using the Nook she gave me to get all of my books for free, too!!! :D :o

I haven't heard her opinion on purchasing Nook books, I just know that she's always pushing her stores to sell more Nooks. One of her stores made a video to Miley Cyrus's Party in the USA about selling Nooks!

LOL - well, I'm using the Nook she gave me to get all of my books for free, too!!! :D :o

I haven't heard her opinion on purchasing Nook books, I just know that she's always pushing her stores to sell more Nooks. One of her stores made a video to Miley Cyrus's Party in the USA about selling Nooks!

My sis and my bff both have Kindles, and when the family decided to get me an ereader for Christmas, my son (who takes after his Mom) volunteered to do the "research". I wanted a Kindle originally, but he decided that the Nook was best for me. Correctamongo!! I love this thing, and I think it's more versatile, too. It reads Adobe files, which are universal, so I can convert almost anything to pdf.

My sis and friend love their Kindles, but I think that's because they don't know any different.

Loved the website.........works perfect and will make reading the books great!

Have you tried obooko Dot com for books..........

Glad you like Calibre. I've used it for several years now & find it very helpful.

Archived