Simple tip payment question

sampup333

This sounds mean but as we eat in the specialty restaurants most of the time, should we still tip our MDT waiter for the nights we aren't there ?

Yes. They will be serving you breakfast and lunch somewhere on the ship. The Dining Room waiters and Asst waiters work in other venues during the day. I have seen my waiter in Windjammer and at Café Promenade during the day.

I have 3 of the Special Dining venues booked. Package so I go to Chops first night and book others on board. I will still tip full amount as I know one of my waiters will be in the Windjammer for sure. (most of the Asst waiters work there). They also work the Dining Room for Breakfast and lunch when it is open on sea days. They also work in the character Breakfast.

Can we charge the recommended gratuities to our Sea Pass when we are on board and then be given the vouchers?

Yes you can. You can do it day by day (it shows up atuomatically on the TV screen each day). You can go to Guest Services and tell them you want it done ASAP (one lump sum). Then at end of cruise they will leave a voutcher in your room for the Room Steward, Head Waiter, Waiter and Ast Waiter and envelopes for them. You can add extra if you want. As above if you eat in Specialty resturant your waiter/asst waiter will still be serving you somewhere on the ship.

This sounds mean but as we eat in the sepciality restuartants most of the time, should we still tip our MDR waiter for the nights we arent there ?

Do you want to service not received? It's a personal choice but since you asked, I only tip for service received.

Do you want to service not received? It's a personal choice but since you asked, I only tip for service received.

So when you eat at the buffet or MDR for lunch or breakfast do you leave a tip for those that provide you a service in those venues?

As has been noted several times above, in RCI's system of waiters/rotation, the money you tip the MDR is intended to cover all eating venues except specialty restaurants. Unless you are tipping people individually at the cafe, promenade, etc, then you are not tipping for service received if you stiff the MDR staff.

As has been noted several times above, in RCI's system of waiters/rotation, the money you tip the MDR is intended to cover all eating venues except specialty restaurants. Unless you are tipping people individually at the cafe, promenade, etc, then you are not tipping for service received if you stiff the MDR staff.

Some people just dont get it. :o no matter how many times its been said.

So by that we can assume that you tip each and every time you eat breakfast, lunch or have a snack anywhere other than in the main dining room? Seems like carrying all that extra cash around makes it a bit more of a chore than simply tipping the suggested amounts according to the normally recommended procedure.

So by that we can assume that you tip each and every time you eat breakfast, lunch or have a snack anywhere other than in the main dining room? Seems like carrying all that extra cash around makes it a bit more of a chore than simply tipping the suggested amounts according to the normally recommended procedure.

Actually, we do tip every time we eat breakfast or a snack! We always order room service for breakfast and most times when we eat a snack... and we are always sure to tip the one who delivers it! :D Sorry, had to pay devils advocate. We actually tip the recommended amount at minimum despite the fact that we eat in the specialy restaurants at least twice and use room service for breakfast every day. Our thought is that these people work hard for their money and can use whatever we can give. However, I had to point out that some people do tip for breakfast! :)

Seems I've caused a bit of a debate.

Being from the UK even though we've cruised a lot tipping is still a bit strange, especially since my next trip will cost £800 just for tips.

Tips should be for service's received in excess of the norm. For normal service people should be paid a decent wage. (I know they’re not!) Seems a bit unfair to those who serve you well to get the same as those that don't. Would rather it was in the price I pay for the trip and then I could tip extra if I felt they earned it.

Don't worry I will be tipping the "suggested" amounts plus a bit extra if they are nice, as it's not their fault if I go somewhere else to eat.

I just wanted to know what was going to be expected.

Archived