Email Letter from Adam Goldstein

khm1

I got this letter just now in my email inbox. I will be on the Serenade in less than two weeks, but I think that it may have went out to all of their customers. It sounds like RCL is trying to be pro-active in dealing with the Concordia disaster and how it is affecting the attitudes of RCL customers. The PR people at RCL must be extremely busy right now! Any thoughts?

Edited to add: The link that was in the letter takes me to the Safety and Security section of the RCL website. There is no video that I can tell that is linked to this page, at least not right now. RCL should maybe make sure the link works before they send the email.

Dear _____,

All of us at Royal Caribbean International continue to extend our heartfelt sympathies to those affected by Carnival Corporation's recent tragic incident on the Costa Concordia. As a Crown & Anchor Society member and loyal Royal Caribbean guest, we know you may have some questions as the situation continues to unfold.

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and security of our guests and crew is our highest priority. It is fundamental to our operations. Our maritime safety record over our 42-year history illustrates our commitment to the safety of the millions of guests and crew that sail on our ships. The measures we take in the interest of safety are many, often exceeding the regulatory requirements – these are all part of our ongoing commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in every aspect of our business.

To address some of your questions and concerns, here is a video that will provide an overview of safety onboard our ships; the training of our crew, officers and captains; and the many regulations that govern our practices. Click here to watch.

As a past cruiser, we know your friends and family may be asking about your own time at sea. We hope that you'll share this video along with your personal Royal Caribbean experiences with them, and reinforce that cruising continues to maintain the best safety record of any industry in travel.

Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to welcoming you aboard again soon on one of our ships sailing to 270 destinations worldwide.

Sincerely,

Adam Goldstein

President and CEO

Royal Caribbean International

I always think the cream rises to the top and obviously RCI is one of the top cruise lines and can afford to have the very best captains. Lesser lines may have to settle for something a little less. I have always felt that my safety was a number one goal on an RCI ship. I've never seen corners cut when it comes to safety. Even their excursions operators are held to high standards...all of the small boats I've taken on an excursion, we had a safety briefing, noting where the exits and pfd's were located.

I was glad that Adam was ahead of this and reassuring customers.

He just couldn't resist referring to is as "Carnival Corporation" could he? Oh well, most great businessmen are the last people you would ever want as a neighbor. Greedy, opportunistic, go for blood. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he's no different.

I don't know that I would take it quite as far as you did but I was also struck by why he felt the need to mention Carnival Corporation. I'm all for marketing but was that really necessary ?

He just couldn't resist referring to is as "Carnival Corporation" could he? Oh well, most great businessmen are the last people you would ever want as a neighbor. Greedy, opportunistic, go for blood. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he's no different.

HUH???????? There is nothing greedy, opportunistic, non-factual, misleading, or out for blood in the email.

Got the same letter. Here was my response to them:

"Yep, lets make sure you point out that the ship belongs to your primary competitor (Carnival Corporation). Very shallow comment on your part. I've sailed Celebrity, RCCL, AND Carnival and have always had a great time on all my cruises. I see little difference between the lines because they are all a great way to vacation. As a matter of fact, Carnival will continue to be a favorite of mine. I now actually think less of RCCL because of your backhanded swipe at a competitor.

I'll make sure I also post my comments on both the RCCL AND Carnival boards at Cruise Critic. Since after all, you did ask me to share. Time for you to grow up and put on a pair of big boy pants. Learn to compete by offering a superior product at a superior value. That is how you gain new and loyal customers, not by making backhanded, juvenile comments.

---- Royal Caribbean International <RoyalCaribbean@RoyalCaribbeanMarketing.com> wrote:

>

> Dear Darrell,

>

> All of us at Royal Caribbean International continue to extend our heartfelt

> sympathies to those affected by Carnival Corporation's recent tragic incident

> on the Costa Concordia. As a Crown & Anchor Society member and loyal Royal

> Caribbean guest, we know you may have some questions as the situation continues

> to unfold. ....."

Because he was writing passengers that were sailing with RCCL, about the Concordia tragedy and safety concerns, he probably wanted to make sure that his cruisers did not think that the Concordia belong to RCCL. You would be surprised at how many people do not know who owns what. :rolleyes: My own mother (a HAL loyalist) made a backhanded comment about how Carnival Corp. owned Costa. She was not a fan of the Carnival cruise we took her on. I pointed out to her that Carnival Corp. also owned HAL. She was astounded! lol

I always think the cream rises to the top and obviously RCI is one of the top cruise lines and can afford to have the very best captains. Lesser lines may have to settle for something a little less.

So now you're making blind speculation that the RCI captains are "better". Please enlighten us as to which part of your vast expertise on all things maritime and merchant marines has led you to this conclusion.

Or perhaps, you have intimate knowledge of the financial management of Costa and other cruise lines, thereby having evidence to back up your assertion that they have to "settle for something a little less".

I've heard of drinking the proverbial Kool-Aid, but this is ridiculous!

"Yep, lets make sure you point out that the ship belongs to your primary competitor (Carnival Corporation). Very shallow comment on your part. I've sailed Celebrity, RCCL, AND Carnival and have always had a great time on all my cruises. I see little difference between the lines because they are all a great way to vacation. As a matter of fact, Carnival will continue to be a favorite of mine. I now actually think less of RCCL because of your backhanded swipe at a competitor.

I'll make sure I also post my comments on both the RCCL AND Carnival boards at Cruise Critic. Since after all, you did ask me to share. Time for you to grow up and put on a pair of big boy pants. Learn to compete by offering a superior product at a superior value. That is how you gain new and loyal customers, not by making backhanded, juvenile comments.

I think you are over-reacting, i am not a RCCL apaologist - but your comments are as bad as what you comment about. I would not ever travel on a RCCL cruise if i where you.

Because he was writing passengers that were sailing with RCCL, about the Concordia tragedy and safety concerns, he probably wanted to make sure that his cruisers did not think that the Concordia belong to RCCL. You would be surprised at how many people do not know who owns what. :rolleyes: My own mother (a HAL loyalist) made a backhanded comment about how Carnival Corp. owned Costa. She was not a fan of the Carnival cruise we took her on. I pointed out to her that Carnival Corp. also owned HAL. She was astounded! lol

I agree. I see nothing wrong with him specifying the corporation. I've also found that a lot of people I know who aren't frequent cruisers never seem to distinguish between ship names and corporate names. I can't tell you how many people I know who answer "Royal Caribbean" or "Carnival" when I ask them what ship they're going on.

This email is intended to reassure people about RCCL cruises, pointing out that the tragedy happened on a different cruise line entirely doesn't seem out of line or insensitive in the least to me. I basically did the same when I reassured my own mother that my upcoming cruise was on a different cruise line.

Do you think if the situation was reversed it would have been handled differently? While I don't necessarily agree with the way it was done, I will bet you anyone in this situation would do the same!

While I think not mentioning names would be more classy, I don't blame RCI for hoping to distance from Carnival a little at this juncture. Even CCL is keen on not to be lumped in with Costa and constantly pointing out CCL is not Carnival Corp.

No need to take it too personally. None of these cruise lines is your family or friend.

You would be surprised at how many people do not know who owns what. :rolleyes: My own mother (a HAL loyalist) made a backhanded comment about how Carnival Corp. owned Costa. She was not a fan of the Carnival cruise we took her on. I pointed out to her that Carnival Corp. also owned HAL. She was astounded! lol

Isn't that the truth! :p Although all the Cunard loyalists I know are only too acutely and painfully aware that Carnival Corp now owns Cunard. ;)

I agree. I see nothing wrong with him specifying the corporation. I've also found that a lot of people I know who aren't frequent cruisers never seem to distinguish between ship names and corporate names. I can't tell you how many people I know who answer "Royal Caribbean" or "Carnival" when I ask them what ship they're going on.

This email is intended to reassure people about RCCL cruises, pointing out that the tragedy happened on a different cruise line entirely doesn't seem out of line or insensitive in the least to me. I basically did the same when I reassured my own mother that my upcoming cruise was on a different cruise line.

I've noticed the same thing, or they will say something like, "I think it is a Carnival ship, the Voyager." Most don't even know the ship name or the company because their cousin so and so picked it out. It amazes me the number of people I know that are going on first time cruise have no idea what ship, or where they are going. They don't seem to do research or care.

I had a friend going on a Christmas cruise that her son had picked out for the family. They were leaving out of San Juan, but she didn't know that name of the ship. The only comment she had was that her son was having them fly in a day ahead and they were going to have to spend money on a hotel. I told her that was a good move. Guess what? Their flight out of Atlanta was delayed and they got in early evening the night before the ship sailed. Had they taken that same flight the next day, they would have missed the ship.

People who have never cruised or just cruised once often have little idea of the various cruise lines.

A relative just told me this morning that I shouldn't go cruising because all the captains like to take route deviations and sail where ever they like.

Tragedy doesn't bode well for cruise industry at all.

I agree. Most people in the general population have no idea which parent company owns which cruise line.

If I were in his shoes I would certainly be looking to point out the fact that RCCL has no association with the Costa tragedy. That's called a business decision.

How about something like:

While Costa is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean International, all of us at Royal Caribbean International continue to extend our heartfelt sympathies to those affected by the recent tragic incident on the Costa Concordia. As a Crown & Anchor Society member and loyal Royal Caribbean guest, we know you may have some questions as the situation continues to unfold.

I have felt nothing but safe on Royal Caribbean ships. We did have a muster drill about four hours after the ship left Port San Juan on the Serenade in August, which (I think) is because they had to leave port early due to Irene making landfall. Now that I think about it, especially because we cruised in tropical storm force winds, they probably should have had a quick drill as we were sailing out of port.

I do sympathize with the cruise lines and it's a shame that they even have to write this letter, especially with that terrible 20/20 episode portraying cruise ships as a college dormitory. But unfortunately I think the Concordia tragedy will have a profound effect on the cruise industry, mostly driven by the media.

With that said, I couldn't help but notice the convenient mention of "Carnival Corporation". I picked up on that immediately, and feel that it was in poor taste.

I agree. Most people in the general population have no idea which parent company owns which cruise line.

I fail to see what the point was of even making mention of it. We don't need to know that as it has nothing to do with the safety on Royal Caribbean.

Archived