Email Letter from Adam Goldstein

khm1

Doh! No way. People would hear the overtness and be turned off. This way, people say "oh, what a nice guy. And Carnival...damn shame."

It wasn't an attack. It wasn't badmouthing. It was a simple reminder that Carnival was directly involved. People now hear Carnival and immediately think "sunken ship".

Again, it's not rocket science. This is America; we see this behavior all the time. It's quite clear.

I respectfully disagree. And I do not consider you simple because we do not share the same opinion.

Wow! According to the government report, Carnival's record isn't very good, 16 incidents to RCCL's 3. And now this. I feel sorry for them. But something needs to change.:(

Buckle up BecciBoo. Here come the flamers. This thread is proof positive that people need something to whine about. Was there any misinformation in that email? Please, got the email, read it, and then deleted it without a second thought. Like bigeagle12 said, "Who cares?":rolleyes:

I respectfully disagree. I think people are being overly sensitive and reading into the message. Goldstein knows he could easily be in the same situation. It could have been one if his captains. If he wanted to bad mouth the competition he'd be more overt.

Curious then that the email from Celebrity's Dan Hanrahan felt no need to mention Carnival.

Goldstein's wording is so awkward that one is forced to think it was intentional. Simply dropping the words "Carnival Corporation's" would not alter the meaning of the letter had it been written only to assure Royal Caribbean customers or express sympathy for those caught up in the Costa Conconrdia incident.

This is the letter that I received from Dan Hanrahan of Celebrity Cruises:

[COLOR="Black"][FONT="Tahoma"]Dear Carol,

Like you, all of us at Celebrity Cruises, both shipboard and shoreside, are deeply saddened by the events surrounding the tragic Costa Concordia accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the incident.

I debated about writing to you, as I wanted to be respectful of the investigation process and avoid adding to the speculation as to the cause or related failures. However, the concerns that have been raised about the safety of cruise ships compelled me to take the opportunity to share what an intense focus we have always placed on safety, and how rigorously we put that focus into practice every day.

Since Celebrity Cruises’ founding more than 20 years ago, the safety of our guests and crew has always been our highest priority. The measures we take in the interest of safety are many, often exceeding regulatory requirements. It’s a critical part of our ongoing commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in every aspect of our business.

Our guests see just a portion of our safety practices through the mandatory muster drills we conduct at the outset of every sailing. But our safety practices encompass so much more. In light of the Costa Concordia accident, we chose to post a summary of our safety practices on our web site. Simply go to, [url]www.CelebrityCruises.com/Safety[/url], and click on the tab labeled "Safety and Security". I encourage you to take a look, and to share the information with your family and friends.

Above and beyond what we’ve communicated there, you also may be interested to know that the leader of Celebrity Cruises’ Captains is a highly experienced former officer in the U.S. Coast Guard, Greg Purdy. As the head of our Marine Operations Department, Greg’s highest priority is to guide and monitor the safety of our fleet. His own experience at sea, including serving as Captain of a Coast Guard vessel, combined with his depth of knowledge of cruise ship safety, ensures that he and the entire Celebrity Marine team continue to build on our strong safety culture.

Our Captains across the Celebrity fleet hold degrees from some of the world’s finest maritime institutions. You also may be surprised to know that, along with the Captain, every one of our ships has at least two other officers who hold the level of license required to serve as Captain of a cruise ship. Essentially, we have three people onboard every Celebrity ship who qualify as a Captain.

On average, each of Celebrity Cruises’ Captains has 25 years of seagoing experience. Besides the training and drills we conduct onboard, our Captains and their bridge teams also participate in navigation simulator courses and other training. One of the cornerstones of our training is that everyone is expected to speak up if they detect something wrong, regardless of their rank. Our shipboard officers and our shoreside team spend a considerable amount of time focused on how we can continually improve our safety procedures.

Along with our vast in-house expertise, we also rely on a group of experts known as our Maritime Safety Advisory Board. The group was established in 2006 to help guide our safety program and provide critical thinking from the world’s leading marine safety experts. The group includes former senior officials from the US and UK Coast Guards, as well as leadership from the academic world.

Our Chairman Richard Fain has said there’s no such thing as perfect safety, but there is such a thing as perfect dedication to safety. And that’s what we strive for daily.

Whether you’re a longtime cruiser, or have yet to sail with Celebrity, I hope you’ll help us reinforce the fact that cruising continues to maintain the best safety record of any industry in the travel business.

Our highly skilled and dedicated crew members look forward to welcoming you onboard soon to provide you with an outstanding vacation experience. Meanwhile, I thank you for your continued support of our brand and our business.

Sincerely,

Dan Hanrahan President & CEO[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='broberts']Curious then that the email from Celebrity's Dan Hanrahan felt no need to mention Carnival.

Goldstein's wording is so awkward that one is forced to think it was intentional. Simply dropping the words "Carnival Corporation's" would not alter the meaning of the letter had it been written only to assure Royal Caribbean customers or express sympathy for those caught up in the Costa Conconrdia incident.[/quote]

Probably because Celebrity wasn't tarred and feathered with the same broad brush that ABC used in their hack job earlier in the week. The images of RCI and Carnival ships were so haphazardly interwoven in the "story line" that the average viewer could easily see all big white ships as having the same parent. While Goldstein could have tweaked the wording a bit, some level of damage control and distance was needed.

BTW, under the legal principle of vicarious liability (a fundamental tenet of agency law), ultimately Carnival Corp, not just Costa, and certainly not just the captain is squarely on the hook for the costs and settlements.

[quote name='kijjy']I received the same e-mail. While I have never felt anything but safe on RCI, what happens if your muster station is the side going under water??[/quote]

Seems to me that I would prefer that situation. At least you can swing and get the lifeboats down into the water. If the ship lists materially and you're on the other side, you're going to have a tough time getting the lifeboat into the water.

[quote name='Arizona Cruz Chic']We also received the letter this morning.

I think the mentioning of Carnival owning Costa is a result of the 20/20 program that aired on Friday 1/20/12....the first 10 minutes was the tragedy of Costa and the rest was all the drunks, fights and other things that can happen when on a cruise. Of course it was mostly on Carnival ships. What 20/20 aired was a joke...yes it can happen anywhere, yes it can happen on RC ships, but again it showed almost all Carnival ships.

The Costa tragedy was Captain error, he is a coward and will never be able to command a ship except in his bathtub!

My prayers to all who were on that ship, and prayers to those who are still lost.

***[/quote]

I agree with you 20/20 was a joke. It was cruise line bashing at its best. I am sure if you look hard enough they probably replayed the same footage over and over. There was some footage from the Monarch/Magesty.

As far as the letter I recieved that today as well. I did not have a problem with the letter at all. Maybee some of the wording could have worked out better. As far as myself I still love to take a cruise. Having just completed my first Carnival last week, I am now looking foreward to Hawaii on NCL, and RCCL again in December. Maybee I will throw in a Monarch sometime this year.

If the fares do come down that means more cruising that I can afford.

[quote name='bigeagle12']You must be in Sales .. not "see" through stuff .. more like "make up" stuff :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Once again, you are not being very nice. OP here, please stick to the topic and refrain from the personal jabs. It is really uncalled for and disruptive.

[quote name='khm1']Once again, you are not being very nice. OP here, please stick to the topic and refrain from the personal jabs. It is really uncalled for and disruptive.[/quote]

Excuse me .. you posted the letter and asked for thoughts ..

My thought is .. take it for what it is .. a sincere letter .. and stop trying to read negative things into it :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

[quote name='bigeagle12']Excuse me .. you posted the letter and asked for thoughts ..

My thought is .. take it for what it is .. a sincere letter .. and stop trying to read negative things into it :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
I did not ask for insults to other posters.

[quote name='khm1']I did not ask for insults to other posters.[/quote]

And where is an insult :confused:

They can have their dogmatic views that the letter is a bash on Carnival and I can't disagree :rolleyes:

Sorry if this offends you .. but it is a two way street.

[quote name='bigeagle12']And where is an insult :confused:

They can have their dogmatic views that the letter is a bash on Carnival and I can't disagree :rolleyes:

Sorry if this offends you .. but it is a two way street.[/QUOTE]
I am NOT offended by your opinion of the letter. I actually agree with you. I think that those who think the letter bashed Carnival are off base. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am certainly not offended by opinions that differ from mine. And as you pointed out, I did ask for them.

I think that is was pure damage control to make the distinction between RCL and Carnival. The fact that there was a corporate response seems to offend some on these boards. I happen to be grateful for the big cruise corporations. If they did not exist, I would not be able to cruise.

What I am referring to is your "you must be in Sales" comment. Maybe I interpreted it incorrectly. I don't know. But it seemed to me that it was a swipe at a PP. Forgive me if I am wrong. Sometimes a post may be taken out of context. Maybe that is what happened here. Correct me if I am wrong.....

[quote name='Ander026']

If the fares do come down that means more cruising that I can afford.[/QUOTE]

Amen. I think that's something we can all get behind, my thoughts were that if this does cause insecurity and a rate drop. I'll be more than happy to show them my support through the backlash by cruising through these tenuous and highly discounted times.

I'm not seeing the rates drop though.

[quote name='khm1']What I am referring to is your "you must be in Sales" comment.[/quote]

"Twisting words" "Spin" .. call it what you want .. did not mean for it to be offensive ..

I have been interacting all day with other posters and do not believe anyone felt offended .. jsst defending my position.

[quote name='bigeagle12']"Twisting words" "Spin" .. call it what you want .. did not mean for it to be offensive ..

I have been interacting all day with other posters and do not believe anyone felt offended .. jsst defending my position.[/QUOTE]

OK, understood. But if I saw it that way, it may be that others did too. Again, I could be wrong.....

[quote name='markcruising']Amen. I think that's something we can all get behind, my thoughts were that if this does cause insecurity and a rate drop. I'll be more than happy to show them my support through the backlash by cruising through these tenuous and highly discounted times.

I'm not seeing the rates drop though.[/quote]

An unintended consequence may just be more people flocking to RCI. You can kiss any price drops goodbye if that happens.

Had the boot been on the other foot, I am sure that all other competitors would not have hesitated to ensure they mentioned the mother company in any responses of their own. I do not see a problem with the letter, the facts are the facts, all companies are proud enough to stand up and shout "that is us" when awards are given out, so should also take the flack when necessary.

[quote name='ChipLondon']Had the boot been on the other foot, I am sure that all other competitors would not have hesitated to ensure they mentioned the mother company in any responses of their own. I do not see a problem with the letter, the facts are the facts, all companies are proud enough to stand up and shout "that is us" when awards are given out, so should also take the flack when necessary.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more - I have always felt safe whilst on RCL ships and I appreciated the e mail from Adam Goldstein.

[quote name='ChipLondon']Had the boot been on the other foot, I am sure that all other competitors would not have hesitated to ensure they mentioned the mother company in any responses of their own. I do not see a problem with the letter, the facts are the facts, all companies are proud enough to stand up and shout "that is us" when awards are given out, so should also take the flack when necessary.[/quote]

Pure conjecture on your part and not supported by current examples. Only the Royal Caribbean letter mentions a corporation. Only the Royal Caribbean letter mentions the ship's owner Carnival Cruises and not the ship's operator Costa Cruises S.p.A.

He did nothing wrong. He acknowledged the tragedy and was sympathetic to it. He was respectful and stuck to the facts.

Some people on here are obviously hyper-sensitive. You would do the same thing if you were in his situation or at least most normal people would.

His email was well worded and respectful. He was emailing past guests to inform them his line is safe and appeasing shareholders. It isn't Goldstein's fault that his shares are now down 4 %.

Archived