Celebrating a birthday onboard

DonnaK

I called customer service over the weeked because the OBC that we are entitled to for booking a cruise while onboard a cruise only appeared on the invoice for one of our cabins and not on the other cabin.

The customer service agent noticed that my husband's birthday is two days after our cruise, and asked us which day we'd like the birthday celebrated. (I never mentioned my husband's birthday nor requested a celebration)

When I went to check the invoice to make sure that the OBC issue was corrected, I saw a prominent notation under my husband's name that this is a birthday celebration cruise.

Now, we have cruised during many special occasions in the past and never had it noticed nor acknowledged by RCI.

What can we expect? Is this something they are providing for free, like a small cake at dinner, or something they are going to expect us to pay for in the end even though they sort of "forced it upon us" and we never requested it?

From my experience, if they know you are celebrating a special occasion (birthday, anniversary, etc). They will acknowledge it by bringing out a dessert (usually one that's on the menu that evening) with a candle in it and singing to you. If you order ahead, you can purchase a cake from gifts and gear but I've never heard of that being brought to someone without their request. On the last cruise, two birthdays were celebrated the same night at our table. My mother had ordered a cake for my husband and they brought out the dessert with a candle for the other guy who was celebrating a birthday. The cake my mother had sent for my husband was good but kind of pointless because there is so much food on a cruise anyway. From what you are describing, I'm guessing they will send you a piece of dessert with a candle and sing to you at no charge.

They will either have a dessert ready for him in the main dining room one night, or it may be sent to the room. With Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate. At least this is what has been done for us on past cruises when it was indicated that there was a Birthday in the group.

On my last cruise, which was a group cruise, the waiters took it upon themselves to celebrate a birthday each night with our table even though we really only had 1 "official" birthday girl. It was quite ammusing.

How do I request the birthday celebration? My youngest daughter's bday is 2 days after our cruise & she would love a special piece of cake with candle (: Her sister celebrated her 15th bday on the Disney Magic, and they do the same thing. Do I just tell guest services, or the concierge? (I've never had concierge service, so please excuse me for not knowing what the do). TIA

You just tell them when you're purchasing the cruise. If you got it online you should be able to update your records. If you used one of their planners or a TA then call the appropriate person to have it noted. I have both birthday and honeymoon noted on ours.

You can basically expect nothing more than a regular dessert off the menu, perhaps with a candle in it. Celebrations like birthdays, anniversaries, honeymoons, wedding vows, retirements, etc. etc. are celebrated by passengers every single cruise. They offer nothing special above and beyond what is available at no extra cost. We know this from experience.

A little off topic but...we are sailing in November when it will be our anniversary while on board. When asked about celebrating anything special, I mentioned the Anniversary. They have noted on my res "Anniversary Toast" wonder if we will get a glass of bubbly?? Have sailed many times and never been acknowledged for a special occassion which is OK. Anyone else have this notation?

You can also do the full birthday cake thing...I don't recall how much that is 30 bucks maybe. Anyway, it's not much, you get a small cake so everyone can have a piece and they sing to you. We did it for my SIL, and it was fun.

just checked a cake is £9.40 about 15 bucks

My birthday this past October on Oasis was on the first formal night. We had a great waitress and assistant waiter. They brought out a desert with a candle in it and along with the head waiter sang Happy Birthday.

Now , the morning of my birthday we were at guest services fixing an Internet billing quirk and the Hotel Manager asked if there was anything else he could do for me? I told him it was my birthday and that I would gladly pay for the RCCL Beer Bag, but I did not want the Budweiser beer. He smiled and said he would see what he could do. The next day after returning from the Solarium, the bag was wrapped in plastic on my bed. I was never charged for it.

This October we will be on the Jewel. Happy Birthday again.

You can order the birthday cake ($14.00) from 'Gifts and Gear' ... you can also order birthday decorations ($30.00?) for your stateroom from the same place.

To annotate 'birthday" on your reservation, go to 'my cruises' at the RCI web site and scroll all the way to the bottom. Click the modify button under 'Preferences and Requests'. You'll see the area to put in the birthday request.

I celebrated my birthday on the New Year's cruise that you were on with me, Donna. Since I was traveling solo I wanted my birthday to be acknowledged. The head waiter brought a dessert out with a candle in it and my waiter and assistant waiter and he all sang happy birthday to me. (They did it on the wrong day but that way it was a surprise so kinda nice) I didn't want anything big so the piece of cake with the candle and the happy birthday song made me happy.

Suzanne

As stated, no. We have sailed anniversaries and birthdays, and nothing. Sorry. No bubbly except at the Captain's Reception, if you want.

Under any other circumstances I would fully agree with you - but on my invoice it clearly states "Anniversary Toast" not celebration etc. Toast to me is a drink? :)

:p I celebrated a Birthday on the Mariner in October. I was given some free internet time or a phone call home. I used the phone call to ring back to Australia which would have been an expensive call usually. I rang from the ship in the middle of the Med.

I did get a desert with a candle on and the waiters singing. Our room attendent did a special towell animal and a nice note with Happy Birthday on.

Under any other circumstances I would fully agree with you - but on my invoice it clearly states "Anniversary Toast" not celebration etc. Toast to me is a drink? :)

I really wouldn't expect a drink ;) unless it's a very special anniversary. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary onboard (which they obviously regard as a milestone anniversary) and there was a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us in our cabin - a very nice touch.

The following year we were due to sail again on our anniversary but due to family commitments had to change it to one week later. We were very surprised one night to have the waiters around our table singing happy anniversary when the anniversary had been over a week earlier (obviously someone hadn't changed the records, we didn't correct them though). They brought a dessert from the menu but no drink.

We were amused to see on our invoice on that occasion the wording 'non-significant anniversary' or similar wording -31 years seemed pretty significant to us :D

I really wouldn't expect a drink ;) unless it's a very special anniversary. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary onboard (which they obviously regard as a milestone anniversary) and there was a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us in our cabin - a very nice touch.

The following year we were due to sail again on our anniversary but due to family commitments had to change it to one week later. We were very surprised one night to have the waiters around our table singing happy anniversary when the anniversary had been over a week earlier (obviously someone hadn't changed the records, we didn't correct them though). They brought a dessert from the menu but no drink.

We were amused to see on our invoice on that occasion the wording 'non-significant anniversary' or similar wording -31 years seemed pretty significant to us :D

Ours will be 42 years and we will be on board on the day of. Our wording says "Anniversary Toast" so I pictured 2 glasses of wine/champagne at dinner. If I remember by the time we get back - LOL - Ill post to let you know what happens.

Well consider yourselves blessed because on our milestone 25th, we got nothing. :(

You can also do the full birthday cake thing...I don't recall how much that is 30 bucks maybe. Anyway, it's not much, you get a small cake so everyone can have a piece and they sing to you. We did it for my SIL, and it was fun.

8-inch cakes are listed at $14.95 on the RCI website. You can get either chocolate or vanilla; and they will deliver it to either your stateroom, or dinner table. You can also get a stateroom decorated for $31, or a "happy birthday package" which includes both cake and stateroom decorations for $75. What else you get for $75 (as booking the other 2 separately comes to $45.95), the website doesn't exactly say.

attachment.php?attachmentid=219424&stc=1&d=1327428399

bday-cakes.jpg.97a60a5211ab91d45acbeaaeda33393f.jpg

• 7 months later...
To annotate 'birthday" on your reservation, go to 'my cruises' at the RCI web site and scroll all the way to the bottom. Click the modify button under 'Preferences and Requests'. You'll see the area to put in the birthday request.

I don't have a "modify" button and I can't pay money towards my cruise through my reservation online either - even though that's how I booked it... somewhat frustrating! I know I can call, but online is just so much easier (especially when you are updating your own birthday) :)

Archived